Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Elijah Craig 12

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Elijah Craig 12 Years Old

Elijah Craig 12

Postby Aidan » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:05 pm

Ok - most of the time I really love this whiskey, but sometimes I don't. Can't explain it.

Anyway, when it like it, I love the licorice dimension to it. I don't know anything much about Rye, but is this what gives it its licorice quality? If so, I'd like to get my hands on some straight rye whiskey.
Last edited by Aidan on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby clayton jr » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:53 pm

Rye can indeed carry a licorice or anise quality. In fact, my first impression upon opening a bottle of Jim Beam Rye (the yellow label) is that someone had stuffed a bunch of black licorice candy in the bottle -- the nose was that strong. Unfortunately, I don't tend to care for black licorice so much, so it didn't go over that well with me.

Other ryes do not have this nose. Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye has very little of it, at least to my nose. Many people comment that rye provides a minty note, and that's what I tend to pick up.
clayton jr

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:46 am

A lot of people at staightbourbon.com have made exactly the same observation about EC 12YO. It really is a moody whisky. As for the licorice flavour, JB black has a lot of this, as does Booker's (IMHO).

Rye is more about flavour power, sharpness, mint and fruitiness. In a good American whisky this is offset by the sweet oiliness of the corn. Young rye is pretty savage.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:44 pm

I've conducted several whisky tasting events featuring "Whiskies of the World", where my selected bourbon for the night was Elijah Craig 12yo.

In the last six months, in two separate tastings, with two entirely different groups of people, I have had two individuals remark that they can smell & taste "banana lollies"!

Weird, eh?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 01, 2004 8:02 am

I'll have to keep that in mind next time I drink some !!
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby mr_a_non » Fri Oct 01, 2004 11:39 am

Thankfully I have never been one to suffer bad hangovers. About as bad as it gets is a headache and unsettles stomach until about lunchtime the following morning.

However, when I was on holiday this year, on the advice of a few friends I bought a bottle. Being a holday, and being with a couple of friends, we finished the bottle that evening. Keeping pace with each other meant I had about a third of a bottle over about 3 or 4 hours: not a light drinking session but nothing that hasn't been done before.

I didn't mind the Elijah Craig, but personally I have a preference for scotch. Either way, the following morning I have never felt so bad in my entire life. I had a thumping headache, was nauseous and my hands were shaking - this went on until about four in the afternoon: was not a pleasant experience at all.

All other things being equal, if I'd've drunk anything else that evening I'm sure I would have been fine. So my question, what is in Elijah Craig that disgreed with me? More raw aldehydes? Greater amount of methanol? Whatever it is I can't see, that if it is a classic hangover constituent, why my two friends were no worse than they would normally be. Could I be allergic to something?

Look forward to any suggestions!
mr_a_non

Postby Admiral » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:30 am

Could have been all those banana lollies and an intolerance to sugar! :)

Seriously though, Elijah Craig is a pretty refined spirit, and I don't think there's anything in there that would have been the catalyst for your discomfort the next day. Could it possibly have been some food, or lack of sleep that contributed also?

I suspect a more likely explanation would be that, perhaps on this occasion, you neglected to drink water or re-hydrate yourself during or after the bourbon session. This can be particularly nasty if you were already somewhat dehydrated before starting the session.

(Happened to me once.....played squash all afternoon, sweated like a pig, and didn't drink nearly enough water afterwards. Then came home, had a few beers and some fairly decent drammage on the scotch front, and I was absolutely knackered the next morning).

I suppose a more scientific approach would be to repeat your evening, this time drinking heaps of water, and let us all know how you feel the next day. :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:06 am

I consider EC 12yr old one of my favourites, and a good value for the buck! I've never tasted any anice flavours in my bottles, but definatly something bananna-ish. I sorta remember a remote anice flavour in JB black, but nothing ultra-pronounced.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby mr_a_non » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:15 am

Admiral - Your first thought is mine too, I presume that (being considerably hotter over there than I am used to in London) I was just terribly dehydrated.

Hmm I suppose, as you say, a scientific reevaluation is in order to test the theory - what an ordeal that'll be!
mr_a_non

Related whiskies : Elijah Craig 12 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder