Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Laddie

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

The Laddie

Postby Nic Rhodes » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:35 pm

I must say that I think the new management at Bruichladdich have done a brilliant job. I love their new whisky. The 10, 15 and 20 are all excellent in their different ways. I have also ‘acquired’ some first release and Valinch as well. Bottled at 46% without colour or chill filtering is brilliant. It is rapidly becoming one of my favourite distilleries. I just want to drink it.

However distillery stocks are running down and I am keen to try other bottlings. I have not been impressed by the old distillery bottling. The 1986 Murray McDavid is pretty decent but this is where my experience ends. Can anyone comment on any other decent ‘laddie’ bottlings, especially really old 60s ones (Signatory and Hart) that might still be available on the market.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Chris Brousseau » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:12 pm

Nic:

I am also a Laddie fan. We have a great distillery produced 10 yo in a blue tube here in Ontario, Canada I am rapidly buying up the remaining bottles.

What country are you in?
Chris
Chris Brousseau

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:17 pm

Were also drinking the shops dry of the Laddie here in Denmark.
Its just superb!
Also just bought one of the last few 20yr olds from Loch Fyne Whiskies.
Ian
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:15 pm

Hi Nic,

Try to get a Laddie from the Adelphi Distillery, very exceptional, and full of flavor.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Gate » Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:36 pm

I'm with Erik on the Adelphi bottlings. I've just finished (sob) a 12-year-old - total drinkability.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Dunglass » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:51 pm

Yes, I think the 20yo. is a one of the best selected original-bottlings fo the last 5 years. I storaged a case of six!
Dunglass

Postby GordonH » Fri Oct 11, 2002 9:39 pm

Hi Nic,
Greetings from the other side of the country ,the (at the moment) cold and wet North-east! The distillery is about to release 3 new bottlings a 1966/36yo Legacy (£199), a 1970 vintage (£135) and a 1984 vintage (£73) .the 17yo (about £48)is going to replace the 20yo for a little while ,the 15 and 10 will remain . There is also going to be a new Valinch available from the distillery only , a 1990 /12yo refill sherry , which if it is anything like the 1990 refill sherry i've tried will be outstanding .
Also Jim McEwan had the new Octomore Distillate tested and it came out at 80.5 ppm phenols ! Can't wait for that one .
Gordon
GordonH

Postby Argyll » Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:19 am

I believe there is a small problem with it being 80.5ppm - I had heard previously from a malting expert that it was impossible to get a malt that could hold more than 60ppm's. Granted that 'phenols' aren't necessarily 'smoky' congeners but I would be interested to find out how they managed this supposedly impossible feat.
Argyll

Postby niklas » Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:02 pm

Hi Nic and the rest of you Laddie fans,

I have been following this post a while since I have a 10 year old as one of my favorite whiskies, but I haven't posted until now because I figured that only knowing one version of the distillery's products was too little. Yesterday I bought the 15 year old and felt that I just had to post.
The 15 is even better and I'm so happy about this distillery. I'm kind of new to the world of whisky, but thanks to Bruichladdich I couldn't have had a better start.

Thanks all, best regards,

Niklas - The Swede lost in Spain
niklas

Postby Nic Rhodes » Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:34 pm

All contributions are welcome here, it all adds to the enjoyment.

I have recently bought some Douglas Laing 1970 and Blackadder 1970 to try, here's hoping.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby bartok » Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:29 pm

I consider Bruichladdich 10 one of my favorite malts.I prefer it over the 15 year old expression.This led me to believe that I wouldn't need to buy the twenty.Now I'm not so sure.With stocks of the 20 dwindling I feel as if I may regret not buying a bottle.Does anyone have any thoughts on the twenty?I am especially interested in the opinion of people who also prefer the 10 to the 15.
bartok

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:45 pm

Hi Nic,

The Blackadder series seems to be very good, heard some good stories about that...

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby bartok » Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:40 pm

Decided to buy the twenty and I must say its a fine dram.I dont know if it has "surreal complexity" as it says on the label.But I enjoy it.
bartok

Postby Laphroaig » Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:15 pm

The Cadenheads 19 Y/O is superb as is the Murray McDavids bottling Nic mentioned. I don't know if this it is still available but some time ago in the past 4-6 months or so, you could purchase your own Cask of Bruichladdich to be aged to your liking and even choose from at least 4 different barrel types to sleep it in. Not exactly the cheapest idea, but maybe something several of you "Laddie" drinkers could get together and chip in on which would make it really cost effective. The interesting thing is they let you draw on the cask when ever you wish, so you can taste and decide when you feel it has aged enough. A friend of mine secured his cask back around July. If I am still around I have been promised a couple of bottles at different stages.
Hmmm Ian I will need to go back to the drawing board. I thought Loch Fyne was my well kept secret. Now I know why certain things are disappearing before I can get my order together (smile).
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Fri Nov 22, 2002 10:39 pm

Laphroig; I'm sure Richard has a few cases of Laddie 20 hidden away, where do you live anyway?
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:27 am

Ian, I am in California. funny you mentioned R.J. I received an email from him last week out of the blue.
On another note I think I am going to score the Cadenheads 19yr bottling of the Laddich. I am not sure which though, there are two offerings available for the same price from consecutive years 1978 and 1979. Any ideas any of you? Leaning to the 79' because I had other Cadenheads with that production year that have been good.

[This message has been edited by Laphroaig (edited 28 November 2002).]
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri Nov 29, 2002 8:25 pm

Bought some BA and 20yr and couple more oldies. BA 91 Rawcask is very good but a touch behind my memory of the 10 (but that was exceptional). Guess I will have to buy a 10 to try, any 15 year old fans?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:50 pm

Thanks for the replies guys, I was beginning to wonder whether I was alone in the new found Laddie thing.

I am in a place called Cumbria. It is the Lake district on the English side of the border with Scotland so most of the distilleries are in decent distance from me 

I must admit to being totally shock by the new bottling but the 20 is now all gone (going to 17), the 15 is going to 12 and the 10 is staying as it is. I always thought before trying them that I would prefer one over the other but the three bottling are all of supreme quality but they are different. The blends are different. All that is the same is the HIGH quality.

I will try and hunt out the Adelphi. I am just drinking an Adelphi Highland Park cask 2093 bottling which is superb. One of the best examples I have ever had from HP. Have an old Longmorn lined up next from Adelphi.

My only problem is the limited supply but with a little leg work, bottles can always be found. Anyone tried any older ones? I am not alone in buying up stock then!
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder