Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Sweet Whiskies

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Sweet Whiskies

Postby Ganga » Sun May 25, 2014 5:38 am

I went through so many of the first 24 batches but only one since then. Anyone having the more recent stuff? I've heard some of the late 30s and early 40s have been rather sulphured.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun May 25, 2014 2:58 pm

I've acquired a batch 38 recently so should give it a try. Maybe the cut is going a little too wide if there are Sulphur notes showing up. I'm also looking forward to trying a newer batch of Edradour, which I always used to enjoy ... I hear the soapiness is gone in the product, which would signify to me that the cut is shorter again. The Signatory CS Edradour was always a sweet whisky for me and I see Edradour has an OB CS one the market now.
I must find one.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby raithrover » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Deanston is always enjoyable with some sweetness; the Spanish Oak was excellent but that's now dried up. Not managed to try the Toasted oak new batch yet but the first one was pretty popular.

Apart from that wine casks do up the sweetness. The Longrow Shiraz cask for instance is sweet with a long dry finish and an interesting experience. Couldn't drink too many of those in a night though.
raithrover

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:23 am

I don't have a problem with more austere, dry whiskies like some Ardbeg, much Lagavulin, and nearly all Clynelish, but sweetness is a great property of whisky -- especially as an after dinner drink.

Most whiskies are sweet, but the ones that stick out in my mind as having maximum potential for sweet deliciousness are Macallan (nutty caramel brown sugar notes), Springbank (tropical fruits), Bowmore (candied fruits or maybe fruity candies), and Highland Park/Oban (orange marmalade).
peergynt323
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder