Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Powdered whisky

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Powdered whisky

Postby Iain » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:52 am

This alarming report from The Scotsman, 18 Dec 2002 (it's a national newspaper, so it must be true ;-).

Help ma Boab!

snip...

THE great malt whisky has been reduced to the level of instant soup by German scientists.

Professor Eckhard Weidner of Bochum University has developed instant "powdered whisky" which he claims will soon join hot chocolate and coffee on supermarket shelves.

Prof Weidner said: "It has taken years but we can now offer alcoholic drinks like whisky. Bar staff will soon be saying, ‘One spoon of malt or two, sir’?"

Simply adding water turns the powder back into liquid with alcohol content.

He added: "It has exactly the same effect on the body as the liquid alternative. The possibilities are enormous."

The scientist’s invention was greeted with horror by lovers of the cratur.

Michael Jackson, the author of The Malt Whisky Companion, the world’s best selling book on whisky, said: "What insolence!

"I have presently before me 26 whiskies, which I am ‘tasting’. This is a tough job, but someone has to do it.

"Why would anyone go to all that trouble to produce powder? It is my opinion he should snort it."
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Steve » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:08 pm

"I bought some powdered water, but I didn't know what to add" - Steven Wright
Steve

Postby Ize » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:56 am

Isn't this an old invention? I think on japanese airlines they have had powder alcohol drinks for several years ... although I'm not aware of whether they have had powder whisky. Image

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Iain » Thu Dec 19, 2002 10:17 am

Nosing one of these pms (powdered malt scotches) will be tricky.

Adds a whole new meaning to Denis Thatcher's catchphrase, "I'm just off for a quick snorter."

ps: Adding water seems fine for most powdered whiskies - but presumably you have to add sherry to get a Macallan?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:31 pm

Where will this end?? "Powdered Whisky" what happend to the good old scotch? Yes indeed if you want Macallan, you have to add a little sherry to it, and if you want a finish, the choices are unlimited, you can add almost anything, to that powdered stuff. No I'll stick to the "Real McCoy", no powdered stuff for me....

Slainte, or shall I say: mix it well!

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:56 pm

Erik, you must move with the times and not be so old-fashioned.

Think of the advantages of powdered whisky.

Now you can create your own finishes - just buy a few sachets of your favourite brand of pms, and add a drop of Madeira, Sherry, Port, Rum, ale or whatever you want from your drinks cabinet, to create a whole range of authentic "finishes"!

You can even add salt and iodine to reproduce the real island character ;-)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Nikwik » Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:31 pm

...and imagine to mix the classical snuff you take in the nose (If you dont know what I mean, imagine 18th century French aristocrats...) with the whiskypowder. Nicotine and alcohol at the same time...
Nikwik

Postby Gate » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:05 pm

Mark my words, no good will come of this. It'll start with "just the odd line of Glen Grant when I need a lift", to "OK, so I snort a few Springbanks, I can handle it", all the way to burning powdered Ardbeg on foil - "chasing the haggis". Just Say No!
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:07 pm

Well I might be so oldfashioned as you called Iain, but at least the powdered stuff won't get any near as the real stuff.
Just give me something that comes out of a bottle, wich stated, distilled, matured and bottled in Scotland.....

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:58 pm

I think it's just powdered malt. You have to add water to it, distill it two or three times and mature it in oak for about 8 years for a delicious instant whisky.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:57 pm

How does James Bond like his whisky? Shaken, not stirred...
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:00 pm

Harry,

James Bond only goes for the Vodka/Martini and shaken not stired, I seriously doubt that he will go for the powdered drams...

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Frank » Thu Dec 19, 2002 8:57 pm

Erik I have a packet. it says distiled, matured, and powdered in Scotland, so it must be the real thing.
Frank

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:20 am

Bond's boss, Q or M (??), had a bottle of Talisker on her desk in the new film, which is pretty bad (the film, I mean).
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:17 pm

Allright Frank, now whe are getting somewhere. I still don't know how they powder a liquid substance, must be a distillers secret....
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder