Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which Single Malt next?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Which Single Malt next?

Postby Patric_Louis » Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:46 am

Dear Friends,

As I would like to buy a few bottles to expand my single malt collection, I would kindly ask you, if you could give me some recommendations?

In general, I would like to expand my collection to get a bigger variety.

My collection so far:
Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 15, Ardbeg 17, Talisker 10, Gelnkinchie10, Oban14, Dalwhinnie15, Glendronach12, Macallan12, Balvenie Double Wood12, Balvenie Founders Reserve 10, Springbank10, Glenmorangie Sherry, Glenmorangie Port, Glenmorangie Madeira, Glenmorangie Burgundy, MacLeods Rare, Blair Athol12, Dailuaine

I'm really looking forward to your recommendations! :D

By the way, coming home from a short trip to Scotland, I found some good prices in the duty free shop at the airport edinburgh:
I bought four 1 liter bottles for 22 pounds each. Thought that's pretty cheap, isn't it? That's why I have a lot of the Glenmorangie Wood finishes... If anyone of you knows how to contact passengers that fly from Edinburgh to Cologne/germany to look out for such special offers at the airport edinburgh and bring some bottles from time to time to the airport to Cologne/Germany I would be very pleased!!

Greetings to you all !
Patric Louis - Cologne/Germany
Patric_Louis

Postby bamber » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:08 pm

You need to try the younger Islay's:

Laphroaig 10YO CS, Ardbeg 10, Bowmore 12YO. Also get some Macallan.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:11 pm

Welcome Patric:

Any recommendations depend on what you want the whisky for. Is it for your own tasting, or for guests, or to impress people? I would recommend including Ardbeg, Bruichladdich, Highland Park, Glenmorangie and Macallan. You seem to have most of these.

The 15yr old Bruichladdich would provide variation. The Highland Park is a well known and well respected malt, but the bottling to get would depend on your pocket book. You also don't have any lowland - Glenchinchie perhaps? And no laid-back speysides are present. Tomintowl and Tammnavulin I've tried and like. Abelour (sp?) may be a better bet for the money.

I would definatly recommend another non-Islay island malt for balance other than Talisker. Preferably something less pungent for comparison. I'm having trouble coming up with anything other than Jura, which I wouldn't recommend to anyone - better whiskies out there for the same price.

The only other thing I can think of are highland malts with "island" character such as Clynelish or Scapa. And if you want an Islay with less peat than the big three, but with more than Bruichladdich, then Bowmore might do the trick.

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:20 pm

Agree with calls for Highland Park and Bowmore.

Old Pulteney if you can get it has an interestingly seaweedy spice.

Bunnahabhain is also worthy of any collection.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon Oct 25, 2004 3:41 pm

Frodo wrote:(snip)
The 15yr old Bruichladdich would provide variation. The Highland Park is a well known and well respected malt, but the bottling to get would depend on your pocket book. (snip)
Regards
Frodo

The 15YO Bruichladdich is a good idea - recently tried it and enjoyed it a lot. As is the HP - personally the 18YO is one of my favourite whiskies of all time (currently no 1 Scotch number 3 whisky) - so obviously I would favour that expression.

'Laid back' Speysides are just not my cup of tea. Takes all sorts etc.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Trying new whiskies.

Postby Alan Hall » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:34 pm

Join the Scotch Malt Whisky Society and you'll get to buy Malts that you could never have imagined!!

Alan Hall.
Alan Hall

Postby Swanny » Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:32 pm

It depends on your budget. I certainly think you need a Caol Ila expression, there are very few bad ones as the wood management over the years was great. For a speyside you really need a Mortlach, and the Balvenie 21 year old is something special. Strathisla is very popular with blend drinkers trying malt for the first time. The Highland, I love a Braora but that will be pricey. THe MWS always have a good Brora. Clynelish is the alternative in price here (still over £30), but very more-ish too. Edradour is lovely and whilst we are on the subject don't limit yourself to distillery bottlings Signatory produce some fine and well priced examples of various malts. Finally a Springbank adds something to most collections.
I hope you drink some of these (if not all).
Swanny

Postby Admiral » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:02 am

No collection is complete without a Macallan 18yo. 8)

Also, why not add some of the older or more complex Glenfiddichs? i.e. Glenfiddich Solera Reserve, Glenfiddich 18yo, etc. Perhaps these qualify as the "laid back Speysiders" that others suggest you need. A collection without a fundamental malt like Glenfiddich is a curious affair, although I can understand anyone leaving the Special Reserve 12yo on the shelf.

Personally, I think your present collection is actually pretty well rounded and I don't think you're really missing much at all. Having a Perthshire malt in there like Blair Athol is particularly impressive. But I agree with others that a Highland Park should really make the list.

Perhaps you would be interested in seeking alternative bottlings, i.e. independent bottlings (I notice all of yours are currently official distillery bottlings), or cask-strength bottlings. Many of the independent bottlers (i.e. Mackillops Choice, Blackadder etc) actually bottle at cask-strength anyway, so you could kill two birds with one stone.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Tue Oct 26, 2004 6:17 am

And you could swap some of your Glenmorangie wood finishes for some of the above recommendations!
bond
Gold Member

Postby burgoyne » Wed Oct 27, 2004 1:04 pm

Highland Park is definitely missing. McCallums someone pointed out, although if given a choice money wise between the 12 and 18 yr, I think there is little comparison.

I have many of what you have, and then decided to start a collection, namely rare hard to find single malts that may never be distilled again. In the last few years have managed to obtain Brora (stupendous), Port Ellen (everything promised) and Rosebank, as well as a few internationals such as Glen Breton and Wiltonshire? (The old Lammerlaw), but the last two were disapointing.

Also you may want to check out the Irish single malt Connemara.
burgoyne

Postby Lawrence » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:12 pm

I trust you're refering to the Macallan and not the blend, McCallums?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:44 pm

Is the blend any good? Never heard of it.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:30 pm

The blend was very big in Australia and is available in the UK. It's current market is Thailand with secondary markets of New Zealand, Monserrat, St. Kitts & Nevis. I understand it is a lighter whisky, McCallums joined DCL in 1937, interestingly it's original head office was destroyed in the only Zepplin raid on Edinburgh in April 1916.

From 'Scotch Whisky' by Charles Maclean.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:20 pm

Is McCallums any good?

Imagine a cheap, young blend, with loads of caramel, dark colour but thin flavour, way too much vanilla (i.e. a lot of grain and not much malt), no complexity, just a wonderfully dull, bland, run-of-the-mill blend.

Then imagine something much worse than that, and you have McCallums! :)

Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Oct 28, 2004 10:46 pm

But what does it do to ya...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Sat Oct 30, 2004 2:07 am

Admiral, that's a Gordon Highlanders, Smirnoff, and soda, isn't it? :lol:
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:03 am

So many malts in this world......who the hell has time for Smirnoff? :D 8)
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Oct 30, 2004 7:31 am

Interesting point. Have been meaning to ask this question for a while.

What do you folks drink other than whisky?

I, for one, cannot drink anything else but beer (which is often followed by whisky). The best of wines or vodka just does not appeal to me.
bond
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:00 am

We have much in common, Bond.....I love a beer (hey, I'm Australian, it's in our blood) but wines and other spirits don't do much for me.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby mr_a_non » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:34 am

I also drink beer most evenings out with non-whisky drinkers. I prefer darker beers or stout, and am not keen on anything too hoppy.

I confess to also being a huge red wine fan but if I were challenged to one drink on a island I would struggle between a single malt and a good cognac.
mr_a_non

Postby bond » Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:40 am

Yeah.... sadly, the population on the other side seems to be growing faster.

Was going thru the list of the top selling spirits in the world and if I remember right, 5 of the top 10 were white spirits.

Guess it has to do with the yuppies prefering bacardi and its ilk... and also I guess there are a lot more vodka and rum based cocktails which are popular esp among the women folk.
bond
Gold Member

Postby SasquatchMan » Sat Oct 30, 2004 4:28 pm

Yeah, I've been pushing Bunnahabhain and chocolate milk at parties to no real success. Bacardi must just have better advertising.

I like beer, and usually beer gives me a taste for whisky. I also like red wine, but don't particularly like most white wines. I had a gewurztraminer a few years ago that was nice and spicy, but other than that, most whites taste pretty bad to me.

I drink lots of Canadian whisky and coke, and a bit of rum finds its way in me too.
SasquatchMan
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:29 am

Admiral States:
"What do you folks drink other than whisky?

I, for one, cannot drink anything else but beer (which is often followed by whisky). The best of wines or vodka just does not appeal to me".

For me, I like a good Tequila or Mezcal as much as good whisky. My problem is that whiskies are much more available (and reasonably priced) than the others. I do like the odd glass of red. For social outings, Guinness or Grolsh (especially in the hot summer).

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:07 pm

If it's not scotch then I might have some port if it's part of the dinner (along with the sherry at the start) and once in a while a bit of red wine.

However never the wretched lesser white spirits or those evil sweet coolers commonly refered to here as 'b*tch pop'.

After spending so much time developing my nose whenever I encounter a glass of white wine all I can detect is sour notes & vinegar.

I generally stick to single malts as there are so many flavour and nosing notes to discover. Even JW Red in a small brandy snifter with a bit of water is superior to a lot of the rubbish that is out there.

Here ends the rant.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Squire » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:05 am

Wow.
You folks are seriously dedicated to Whisk(e)y!
I am something of a newcomer and must admit it is becoming a real passion. However I do enjoy wine regularly, especially with food. I am surprised how many of you dont like it. :shock:
Other than that, it's pretty much beer for me too. Cheaper and easier to knock back a few of than whisk(e)y. Especially in hot weather.

It was cognac first for me then finally tried a good single malt and the obsession started. Tried a cognac for the first time in a while recently and was amazed at just how fruity it tastes after drinking Talisker and Aberlour for a couple of months.
Squire

Postby Admiral » Mon Nov 01, 2004 2:52 am

Frodo,

The quote you attributed to me was actually Bond's post.

(Not that I disagree with his sentiments though! :) )

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:06 am

For the original poster, I'd suggest adding some Brora and Clynelish (north highland) to your collection, along with some Bladnoch (lowland).

Squire, I used to drink some cognac too but now I'm pretty much just a single malt scotch whisky man. Still drink the odd Canadian whisky and try a bourbon now and then but aside from Redbreast and Jameson 18 I'm mostly here for the scotch. Sure, I'll have a beer and wine once in a while but generally only with guests!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:23 am

Sorry Admiral :oops:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:19 pm

Yeah, I used to drink Cognac before, I just don't think it's worth the price. I would like to get into Armagnac (sp?) sometime when I feel like exploring something different. The motive comes from the fact that Armagnac is single distilled in a certain way in order to keep as much of it's origional flavours intact (or so it 'tis said). Cognac is wonderfully soft, but lacks the sharp flavours I like.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder