Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Gordon & MacPhail Ardbeg 1978???

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:02 am

I saw a brief mention in the "What's the best Ardbeg" thread (by Ize) with the disclaimer that his judgement was only one dram deep. Any other experiences with this version???

I'm curious as to how this might compare with the standard fare. My own collection is limited to the current 10 year old (46% non-chill filtered) and the 17 year old (43% imported into Canada - seemingly NOT non-chill filtered). I also enjoyed some of the 1977 on New Year's Eve at my new best friend's home(best friend due to his possession of a bottle of the 1977!!!)and have this on my shopping list.

My only other experience with the G&M bottlings is a 1978 Speymalt from Macallan Distillery. Very enjoyable - but also very different than a sherried Macallan...which brings me back to the original question - is the G&M Ardbeg in the same league?

FWIW - The G&M Ardbeg Connoisseurs Choice 1978 sells for $120 Cdn. in our part of the world. (Compared to the Ardbeg 10 at $70; the 17 at $109 and the 1977: $143 Cdn.)

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Jan 22, 2003 7:02 am

I saw a brief mention in the "What's the best Ardbeg" thread (by Ize) with the disclaimer that his judgement was only one dram deep. Any other experiences with this version???

I'm curious as to how this might compare with the standard fare. My own collection is limited to the current 10 year old (46% non-chill filtered) and the 17 year old (43% imported into Canada - seemingly NOT non-chill filtered). I also enjoyed some of the 1977 on New Year's Eve at my new best friend's home(best friend due to his possession of a bottle of the 1977!!!)and have this on my shopping list.

My only other experience with the G&M bottlings is a 1978 Speymalt from Macallan Distillery. Very enjoyable - but also very different than a sherried Macallan...which brings me back to the original question - is the G&M Ardbeg in the same league?

FWIW - The G&M Ardbeg Connoisseurs Choice 1978 sells for $120 Cdn. in our part of the world. (Compared to the Ardbeg 10 at $70; the 17 at $109 and the 1977: $143 Cdn.)

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby MacAndersson » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:56 pm

IMO you should add a few buck and by the 1975 OB Ardbeg Vintage while there are any left. If you are looking for a serious Ardbeg you should aim for the years up to 1975. Then the whisky will be from the pre-Port Ellen period when Ardbeg cut the peat from their own moss and still used floor malting. I promise you will not be disappointed.
MacAndersson

Postby MacAndersson » Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:56 pm

IMO you should add a few buck and by the 1975 OB Ardbeg Vintage while there are any left. If you are looking for a serious Ardbeg you should aim for the years up to 1975. Then the whisky will be from the pre-Port Ellen period when Ardbeg cut the peat from their own moss and still used floor malting. I promise you will not be disappointed.
MacAndersson

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:52 pm

Hi,

I still haven't opend my Ardbeg 1975 yet, from G&M. I'm very curious, but wait for my own time. I got this one very cheap hahaha

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:52 pm

Hi,

I still haven't opend my Ardbeg 1975 yet, from G&M. I'm very curious, but wait for my own time. I got this one very cheap hahaha

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:35 am

Thanks for the advice. The 1975's aren't available here (through our gov't. run liquor stores; neither is the Provenance or Lord of the Isles). We live a deprived life - so will have to keep my eyes open during my travels (or start buying on-line). We are forming a society here in Vancouver, BC which will allow us to import some of these rare beasties...and to raise ourselves out of the depths.

The G&M is readily available - so I'm still curious and will consider adding it to the collection (as long as it doesn't defer the big acquisitions - or unless someone tells me it could make me go blind!!!).

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:35 am

Thanks for the advice. The 1975's aren't available here (through our gov't. run liquor stores; neither is the Provenance or Lord of the Isles). We live a deprived life - so will have to keep my eyes open during my travels (or start buying on-line). We are forming a society here in Vancouver, BC which will allow us to import some of these rare beasties...and to raise ourselves out of the depths.

The G&M is readily available - so I'm still curious and will consider adding it to the collection (as long as it doesn't defer the big acquisitions - or unless someone tells me it could make me go blind!!!).

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Re: Gordon & MacPhail Ardbeg 1978???

Postby pjr » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 am

Has anyone seen a bottle of this lately? I'd love to buy one.

Thanks!
pjr

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:23 am

I think you'll have to explore the secondary market for this one. Ardbeg has gone nuts on the collector's end of things.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:24 am

Some Ten High. Pretty good considering the price point
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby jazz lover » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:21 pm

Purchased one about seven years ago, now hard to find.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:22 pm

Purchased one about seven years ago, now hard to find.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder