Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Arran.

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Arran.

Postby Torodd » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:23 pm

I was given a sample of the 4 years old Arran on the ferry between Ardrossan and Brodick a couple of years ago. The whisky was very impressive to be a four years old.
A lot of flowers, citrus and fruit. A very lively malt.

I am not sure what the age of the standard Arran bottling will be, but I am sure that it will be a very important addition to the
Scottish single malt portfolio.

Does anyone have any news on this malt ??

btw, the Arran beer and cheese is also superb. The same goes for Isle of Arran as a tourist attraction. Never leave Scotland without visiting this island.
Torodd

Arran.

Postby Torodd » Sun Dec 08, 2002 11:23 pm

I was given a sample of the 4 years old Arran on the ferry between Ardrossan and Brodick a couple of years ago. The whisky was very impressive to be a four years old.
A lot of flowers, citrus and fruit. A very lively malt.

I am not sure what the age of the standard Arran bottling will be, but I am sure that it will be a very important addition to the
Scottish single malt portfolio.

Does anyone have any news on this malt ??

btw, the Arran beer and cheese is also superb. The same goes for Isle of Arran as a tourist attraction. Never leave Scotland without visiting this island.
Torodd

Postby Iain » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:56 am

Can I register strongest agreement on quality of Arran ales, cheeses and its attractions as a holiday destination. Excellent golf too, for those who enjoy wasting a good walk. And very easy to get to from Glasgow and the west of Scotland.

In summer (if weather is ok :-)) I recommend catching the open-topped bus that travels north to Lochranza, stopping at the distillery.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Iain » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:56 am

Can I register strongest agreement on quality of Arran ales, cheeses and its attractions as a holiday destination. Excellent golf too, for those who enjoy wasting a good walk. And very easy to get to from Glasgow and the west of Scotland.

In summer (if weather is ok :-)) I recommend catching the open-topped bus that travels north to Lochranza, stopping at the distillery.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Torodd » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:14 am

Hi Iain.

I agree with you. I would though recommend taking the regular bus around the whole of Arran. The south side of the island is brilliant.
I have done the full Arran by cycle (from south to north) and this is a tour I would rate among the best in the world. More about Arran, my cycling and my whisky tastings at www.toroddfuglesteg.com

As for the landscape and scenery of Arran, I would put Arran just behind Isle Of Skye but just above the likes of Mull and the rest of the Highlands.

I rate myself as a dedicated fan of Isle Of Arran. For those who plan to visit Scotland; don't even think about leaving Isle Of Arran out of your visit !!
Torodd

Postby Torodd » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:14 am

Hi Iain.

I agree with you. I would though recommend taking the regular bus around the whole of Arran. The south side of the island is brilliant.
I have done the full Arran by cycle (from south to north) and this is a tour I would rate among the best in the world. More about Arran, my cycling and my whisky tastings at www.toroddfuglesteg.com

As for the landscape and scenery of Arran, I would put Arran just behind Isle Of Skye but just above the likes of Mull and the rest of the Highlands.

I rate myself as a dedicated fan of Isle Of Arran. For those who plan to visit Scotland; don't even think about leaving Isle Of Arran out of your visit !!
Torodd

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:28 pm

Hi,

I have been to Arran, at the time that they where working on the distillery(nothing much to see at that time), but I must say it's a great Island, wich going to produce a very lovely malt whisky. For those who love to hike: go for a walk in Glen Catacol to Loch Tanna, or go over "The Sadle"(Glen Rosa), or how about some stunning sunsets at the west coast, over Kintyre? Marvelous.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:28 pm

Hi,

I have been to Arran, at the time that they where working on the distillery(nothing much to see at that time), but I must say it's a great Island, wich going to produce a very lovely malt whisky. For those who love to hike: go for a walk in Glen Catacol to Loch Tanna, or go over "The Sadle"(Glen Rosa), or how about some stunning sunsets at the west coast, over Kintyre? Marvelous.

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:18 pm

A Beautiful place and the signs are they are going to have a malt to match.
I have a Danish girlfriend and she loves it!
Shamefully never been to Skye though!
The futures bright for Arran (Scotland in Minature)!
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:18 pm

A Beautiful place and the signs are they are going to have a malt to match.
I have a Danish girlfriend and she loves it!
Shamefully never been to Skye though!
The futures bright for Arran (Scotland in Minature)!
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Torodd » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:06 pm

NEWS ON ARRAN:

The distillery will release a ten years old single malt in some years time.

At the moment, the whisky is sold as six years old. Available from the distillery and Oddbins.

I am looking forward to that ten years old !!!! It is going to be something very, very special and worthy the wait. It is said to be in the vein of Springbank, but still something very special.
Torodd

Postby Torodd » Tue Dec 17, 2002 3:06 pm

NEWS ON ARRAN:

The distillery will release a ten years old single malt in some years time.

At the moment, the whisky is sold as six years old. Available from the distillery and Oddbins.

I am looking forward to that ten years old !!!! It is going to be something very, very special and worthy the wait. It is said to be in the vein of Springbank, but still something very special.
Torodd

Postby tdmcgurk » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:53 am

Blackadder has a 6 year old that's really wonderful. I picked it up on a whim (never having heard of the distillery before), and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm back for more, before it's gone...
tdmcgurk

Postby tdmcgurk » Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:53 am

Blackadder has a 6 year old that's really wonderful. I picked it up on a whim (never having heard of the distillery before), and was very pleasantly surprised. I'm back for more, before it's gone...
tdmcgurk

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder