Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig 11 year old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig 11 year old

Postby mr_a_non » Tue Nov 09, 2004 12:04 am

I was more than a little surprised when I had a bottle-sized parcel through the post the other day. Even more surprised when I opened it and there was a bottle of Laphroaig 11 year old in. No covering note, no invoice, no letter...I was baffled.

Having been truly stumped for about 10 minutes I suddenly remembered the competition on the Laphroaig website that was advertised in issue 42 - true enough, after checking the postmark and the last issue of the mag, it appears I actually won it! Am very surprised nobody from the distillery got in contact to say that it was on it's way.

Now whilst I am aware only 750 of these were bottled (all signed by the master distiller too) and I probably wouldn't have otherwise have bought one, there was no way this was ending up on ebay. It struck me as far less fierce than the 10 year old; the same flavours present only slightly mellowed with vanilla and a little honey?

Certainly a very nice surprise!
mr_a_non

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:24 am

:D Good for you! What a welcome surprise, I have one of the 11 year olds, though I did have to buy it. One day I'll open it and compare notes.

PS Laphroaig makes great whisky but are still working on their customer service.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:04 am

I tried the 11yo a few months ago when a friend generously cracked his bottle open for me.

Unfortunately, there was not a bottle of the 10yo handy to compare it with, so we just assessed it on its own merits.

I found it was a reasonably typical Laphroaig - green, leafy, mossy, a bonfire of peat, and a pretty full-flavoured dram.

Not sure how the extra 12 months in the cask justified the significantly bigger price tag though! :wink:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Tue Nov 09, 2004 3:48 am

I think I saw an article in the last Whisky Magazine that said the 11yr old uses quarter casks, so more barrel influance.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby mr_a_non » Tue Nov 09, 2004 11:20 am

Yes, I think it is the quarter tasks that play a factor in the price rise (well, that and the fact they know they can charge more and people will still buy). Nice freebie in my opinion :wink:
mr_a_non

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:36 pm

Do you remember which issue this was in? In issue 42 there is a small article on how to win a bottle of the 11 but no mention is made of the quarter cask aspect.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder