Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank 15 year

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Springbank 15 year

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:28 pm

What do people think about this recent release? As a long term Springbank fan I find this rather disappointing and four square.

I now don't rate the 10 or 15 year releses, what is happening?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Springbank 15 year

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:28 pm

What do people think about this recent release? As a long term Springbank fan I find this rather disappointing and four square.

I now don't rate the 10 or 15 year releses, what is happening?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Argyll » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:50 am

What?! Are you quite mad? What on earth could you possibly be comparing them to and what does 'four square' mean?
Argyll

Postby Argyll » Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:50 am

What?! Are you quite mad? What on earth could you possibly be comparing them to and what does 'four square' mean?
Argyll

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:02 am

Mad no. I am comparing them to in excess of 20 bottles of Springbank I own / drink currently. This was marketed as a replacement for the good 21, it, like the 10 year old, doesn't cut the mustard. Try the 91 Murray McDavid Springbank to see what a young Springbank should taste like.

Four square means, dull lacking complexity and finesse.

Have you had it? The only other people I have spoken to about this, in a Whisky shop, all had simialr low opinions if this new release.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:02 am

Mad no. I am comparing them to in excess of 20 bottles of Springbank I own / drink currently. This was marketed as a replacement for the good 21, it, like the 10 year old, doesn't cut the mustard. Try the 91 Murray McDavid Springbank to see what a young Springbank should taste like.

Four square means, dull lacking complexity and finesse.

Have you had it? The only other people I have spoken to about this, in a Whisky shop, all had simialr low opinions if this new release.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:12 am

Patience Nic, In the year 2008 Springbank will release a 21Y old again, and every now and then they releas a 15Y old, Richard from LFW had some Springers from 15Y old, but very limited....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:12 am

Patience Nic, In the year 2008 Springbank will release a 21Y old again, and every now and then they releas a 15Y old, Richard from LFW had some Springers from 15Y old, but very limited....

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Argyll » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:35 am

All I can say Nic is that either your taste buds are shot or someone has substituted your whiskies.

The current 10 year-old could never be called four square and as for the 15, utterly stupendous.

Have another go with them. Perhaps you were just in the wrong frame of mind when you drank them?
Argyll

Postby Argyll » Mon Sep 02, 2002 8:35 am

All I can say Nic is that either your taste buds are shot or someone has substituted your whiskies.

The current 10 year-old could never be called four square and as for the 15, utterly stupendous.

Have another go with them. Perhaps you were just in the wrong frame of mind when you drank them?
Argyll

Postby Gate » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:14 pm

This is worrying. I have just finished off a bottle of Springbank 15 which was, IMHO, one of the best bottles of whisky it has ever been my good fortune to consume. I was all ready to go and get a bottle of the new release, and now I'm wondering whether it'll be a crashing disappointment. I haven't tried the 10 year old yet either, but I have tasted the 12 year old rum finish and have grown to like it a lot even though I was a bit disappointed on first taste. Maybe (please) the new 15 year old just needs a bit of time? Is there anyone else out there who has tasted the new Springbank 15?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Gate » Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:14 pm

This is worrying. I have just finished off a bottle of Springbank 15 which was, IMHO, one of the best bottles of whisky it has ever been my good fortune to consume. I was all ready to go and get a bottle of the new release, and now I'm wondering whether it'll be a crashing disappointment. I haven't tried the 10 year old yet either, but I have tasted the 12 year old rum finish and have grown to like it a lot even though I was a bit disappointed on first taste. Maybe (please) the new 15 year old just needs a bit of time? Is there anyone else out there who has tasted the new Springbank 15?
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:47 pm

The bottling I am talking about is the new one. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Springbank fan, but my bottle is decidedly sub standard. I think I know my Sprinkbank, perhaps more than any other Whisky and this is why I was so disappointed. Could I have a duff bottle?

2008, I can't wait that long, perhaps I will have to crack the double magnum of Springbank I own.

My taste buds, I don't think are shot, I still work as a consultant for 'drinks' issues as a professional taster at the highest level.

For young bottlings of SB not mentioned already I look to the 12 year (dark)and the jummy rum finish. My 15 year old is the new bottling and just isn't fun to drink, ditched it for the 65 McMD the other night. The older 15, 21, 25 were great.

Huurman, emailed LFW re Whisky a month or so ago with a big order, they didn't reply....orders went to for other merchants. A touch disappointed about this.

So who has had the new bottling?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Mon Sep 02, 2002 6:47 pm

The bottling I am talking about is the new one. Don't get me wrong, I am a HUGE Springbank fan, but my bottle is decidedly sub standard. I think I know my Sprinkbank, perhaps more than any other Whisky and this is why I was so disappointed. Could I have a duff bottle?

2008, I can't wait that long, perhaps I will have to crack the double magnum of Springbank I own.

My taste buds, I don't think are shot, I still work as a consultant for 'drinks' issues as a professional taster at the highest level.

For young bottlings of SB not mentioned already I look to the 12 year (dark)and the jummy rum finish. My 15 year old is the new bottling and just isn't fun to drink, ditched it for the 65 McMD the other night. The older 15, 21, 25 were great.

Huurman, emailed LFW re Whisky a month or so ago with a big order, they didn't reply....orders went to for other merchants. A touch disappointed about this.

So who has had the new bottling?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:06 pm

Hi Nic,

So you are a fan, you also probably own the Springbank Limited Edition Series??

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 03, 2002 4:06 pm

Hi Nic,

So you are a fan, you also probably own the Springbank Limited Edition Series??

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:09 pm

Erik

I wish I had such budgets but unfortunately I am a simple sole with ordinary budgets. I do have something like 8 bottles from the 60s but that is as far back as I go but I suppose 65s are >35 years old now.

Have you had this 15 year old yet?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Sep 03, 2002 6:09 pm

Erik

I wish I had such budgets but unfortunately I am a simple sole with ordinary budgets. I do have something like 8 bottles from the 60s but that is as far back as I go but I suppose 65s are >35 years old now.

Have you had this 15 year old yet?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:09 pm

Hi Nic,

I have the Limited Edition complete with the miniatures, and I thank god for that, of having such a beautiful collection.
I ha d the 15Y old too, and that was the sherry edition, there was a time that they had a 12Y old and 15Y old in a bourbon edition, it just depends on what Springbank can get their hands on. My fav. Springer is the 21Y old, no fancy vintages or limited editions, just the 21Y ld is my fav. amongst the Springers...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:09 pm

Hi Nic,

I have the Limited Edition complete with the miniatures, and I thank god for that, of having such a beautiful collection.
I ha d the 15Y old too, and that was the sherry edition, there was a time that they had a 12Y old and 15Y old in a bourbon edition, it just depends on what Springbank can get their hands on. My fav. Springer is the 21Y old, no fancy vintages or limited editions, just the 21Y ld is my fav. amongst the Springers...

Slainte,

Erik
Deactivated Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:35 am

Erik

we have similar tastes, though you might have more ready cash than me (twins!!).

No one else had this new bottling, I was called an awful lot of different things from people who haven't even had the Whisky yet? Doesn't seem fair to me. Speak up if you have had it.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:35 am

Erik

we have similar tastes, though you might have more ready cash than me (twins!!).

No one else had this new bottling, I was called an awful lot of different things from people who haven't even had the Whisky yet? Doesn't seem fair to me. Speak up if you have had it.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Argyll » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:06 pm

I have had it, lots of it (but then it helps to live near to shops like Loch Fyne Whiskies and Eaglesomes). Granted it isn't the same as the old 21yo (which I rate as possibly the finest whisky ever bottled) nor the 12yo (which contained some rather old whisky - much older than 12 years old), but it is still a contender for the best 15yo the world has to offer - can you name a better?
Argyll

Postby Argyll » Wed Sep 04, 2002 1:06 pm

I have had it, lots of it (but then it helps to live near to shops like Loch Fyne Whiskies and Eaglesomes). Granted it isn't the same as the old 21yo (which I rate as possibly the finest whisky ever bottled) nor the 12yo (which contained some rather old whisky - much older than 12 years old), but it is still a contender for the best 15yo the world has to offer - can you name a better?
Argyll

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:11 pm

Nic,

The Springbank 12Y old and 15Y old ex-bourbon casks are from a long time ago.
Today you can buy the 10Y old and occasionaly a 15Y old, as Argyll says, Loch Fyne Whiskies(who als have a good mail order system) has a little left from the Springbank 15Y old, but for how long Nic?? I can't tell you that, it's a favorite brand so hurry if you want some.....

Slainte,

Erik

[This message has been edited by Huurman (edited 04 September 2002).]
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 04, 2002 2:11 pm

Nic,

The Springbank 12Y old and 15Y old ex-bourbon casks are from a long time ago.
Today you can buy the 10Y old and occasionaly a 15Y old, as Argyll says, Loch Fyne Whiskies(who als have a good mail order system) has a little left from the Springbank 15Y old, but for how long Nic?? I can't tell you that, it's a favorite brand so hurry if you want some.....

Slainte,

Erik

[This message has been edited by Huurman (edited 04 September 2002).]
Deactivated Member

Postby wolfgang_fener » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:06 pm

I tasted Springbank 10y twice from the same bottle. It was diseapointing. Lame and flat. Only positive point, it was very smooth for a 10y and very buttery (too much for my own taste).

It's the only Springbank I had the chance to taste (it's difficult to get here in Canada). Judging from reviews, it's not a good exemple of what Springbank can distill...
wolfgang_fener

Postby wolfgang_fener » Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:06 pm

I tasted Springbank 10y twice from the same bottle. It was diseapointing. Lame and flat. Only positive point, it was very smooth for a 10y and very buttery (too much for my own taste).

It's the only Springbank I had the chance to taste (it's difficult to get here in Canada). Judging from reviews, it's not a good exemple of what Springbank can distill...
wolfgang_fener

Postby Ize » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wolfgang_fener:
<B>I tasted Springbank 10y twice from the same bottle. It was diseapointing. Lame and flat. Only positive point, it was very smooth for a 10y and very buttery (too much for my own taste).

It's the only Springbank I had the chance to taste (it's difficult to get here in Canada). Judging from reviews, it's not a good exemple of what Springbank can distill...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn, I just received my 10 Y.O. *sigh* I'll try to forget this opinion and be as objective as I can when open and taste the bottle. :-/

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by wolfgang_fener:
<B>I tasted Springbank 10y twice from the same bottle. It was diseapointing. Lame and flat. Only positive point, it was very smooth for a 10y and very buttery (too much for my own taste).

It's the only Springbank I had the chance to taste (it's difficult to get here in Canada). Judging from reviews, it's not a good exemple of what Springbank can distill...</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Darn, I just received my 10 Y.O. *sigh* I'll try to forget this opinion and be as objective as I can when open and taste the bottle. :-/

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:26 pm

Erik and all

I've stocked up on Springbank. Another 6 bottles (inc 2 x 21) so I am happy again now.

Of the 15 year olds I prefer:

HP (experimental bottling before anyone says only 12 and 18!)

Longmorn (best kept secret and a totally under valued distillery, MaCallan / HP /Springbank class IMHO)

Old Pultney always gives me a buzz

Bruichladdie new bottling

Lagavulin 16 (well almost 15!) both versions

Not 15 but similar money I would throw Longrow, MaCallan 18, HP 18 and a huge pile of independent bottlers into the frame before the current SP 15.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Mon Sep 16, 2002 8:26 pm

Erik and all

I've stocked up on Springbank. Another 6 bottles (inc 2 x 21) so I am happy again now.

Of the 15 year olds I prefer:

HP (experimental bottling before anyone says only 12 and 18!)

Longmorn (best kept secret and a totally under valued distillery, MaCallan / HP /Springbank class IMHO)

Old Pultney always gives me a buzz

Bruichladdie new bottling

Lagavulin 16 (well almost 15!) both versions

Not 15 but similar money I would throw Longrow, MaCallan 18, HP 18 and a huge pile of independent bottlers into the frame before the current SP 15.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:34 pm

Just found this:

"The 15-year-old will actually make a return this year as limited stocks from 1987 come of age. This new release will be very dark and sherried, but according to Euan Mitchell (their sales director), it will gain more balance over the next few years."

It appears even Springbank think it needs something extra! When more 15 year old stocks become available, perhaps they will be able to play great tunes on the 15 year olds. Here's hoping....
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Sep 24, 2002 6:34 pm

Just found this:

"The 15-year-old will actually make a return this year as limited stocks from 1987 come of age. This new release will be very dark and sherried, but according to Euan Mitchell (their sales director), it will gain more balance over the next few years."

It appears even Springbank think it needs something extra! When more 15 year old stocks become available, perhaps they will be able to play great tunes on the 15 year olds. Here's hoping....
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Ize » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:27 am

I dug up this old thread since I finally opened the 10yo Springbank on New Year's Eve. I liked it, in fact it is 2. best smokeless and unpeated whisky I have tasted (at least I couldn't sense such tastes). Glenfarclas 25yo is the best so far, but in it I could swear I tasted some slight peat and smoke notes ... but I'm not 100% sure of that finding.

IMO, cask taste was surpricingly strong for that young whisky and it had strong malt taste to me. Good indeed, I will give 8½ to it. Image

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder