Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Springbank 15 year

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby Ize » Fri Jan 03, 2003 7:27 am

I dug up this old thread since I finally opened the 10yo Springbank on New Year's Eve. I liked it, in fact it is 2. best smokeless and unpeated whisky I have tasted (at least I couldn't sense such tastes). Glenfarclas 25yo is the best so far, but in it I could swear I tasted some slight peat and smoke notes ... but I'm not 100% sure of that finding.

IMO, cask taste was surpricingly strong for that young whisky and it had strong malt taste to me. Good indeed, I will give 8½ to it. Image

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:29 pm

I have a bottle of the new Springbank 10yo and at first I was disappointed with it but it has grown on me. The closest comparison for me is the Talisker 10yo (one of my all time favorites, 9.5/10) and between the two I find the Talisker to be more potent with a nicer nose and a much longer finish. The Talisker is cheaper too. But that said, the Springbank 10yo isn't all bad. Not great but not bad so I'd give it 7.5/10.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 03, 2003 5:29 pm

I have a bottle of the new Springbank 10yo and at first I was disappointed with it but it has grown on me. The closest comparison for me is the Talisker 10yo (one of my all time favorites, 9.5/10) and between the two I find the Talisker to be more potent with a nicer nose and a much longer finish. The Talisker is cheaper too. But that said, the Springbank 10yo isn't all bad. Not great but not bad so I'd give it 7.5/10.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby r0b » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:10 pm

Argyll wrote:
(...) either your taste buds are shot or someone has substituted your whiskies (...)

That really made me laugh! Shot taste buds Image
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Wed Feb 05, 2003 5:10 pm

Argyll wrote:
(...) either your taste buds are shot or someone has substituted your whiskies (...)

That really made me laugh! Shot taste buds Image
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Feb 11, 2003 3:29 pm

Just to update this.

I finished my 15 year old and have started the next. My view has not changed about it, it is not very 'springbank' and poor value. I think it purely down to the amount of different stock springbank have to 'play' with for this bottling. New distilling starting about 15 years ago?

The 10 I have got wrong big time. My old bottle was okay but the latest bottling is excellent. Once I got past a 'corky' one we are left with one of the finest whiskies for £25. It is up there with the other great like Ardbeg 10 and Bruichladdie 10 (and the usual regulars like Lagavulin / Laphoig, HP and MaCallan). This I really like and recommend it, now why can't they do this with the 15?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder