Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Michel Couvreur Whisky

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Michel Couvreur Whisky

Postby skywalker » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:30 am

Hello,

does anybody have tasting notes/recommendations about the following Michel Couvreuer Whiskys?

- Single Single Bere Barley 13y
- very sherried Single Single 30y
- vatting 3 hogsheads
- pale single single malt

It seems as "bere Barley" is a whisky produced with a old barley strain.

thanks

Torsten

P.S. Maybe these whiskies are worth an article in Whisky Magazine??
skywalker

Cragganmore 12 yr old - 2 recipes?

Postby Mallime » Tue Feb 25, 2003 7:59 pm

After 2 years without drinking Cragganmore, I was recently offered some in Australia by a friend who had bought some on my recommendation. It had a distinct smoky aftertaste that I did not like and that I had never tasted in Cragganmore 12 yr old before. The Australian friend's bottle mentioned the smoky taste but I'm sure I never would have come to like anything with a smoky flavour (following a drunken experience in my youth, smoky-flavoured food makes me want to throw up). Are there 2 Cragganmore 12 yr olds out there or is there a new, smoky-only recipe? I note from the Michael Jackson whisky guide that the Connoisseurs Choice versions of Cragganmore are supposed to be smoky.
Mallime

Postby skywalker » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:45 pm

I have a similar experience with Cragganmore, I think it depends on the daily performance of the tastebuds. On some days the smoky aftertaste is very clear, on other days not.

Torsten
skywalker

Postby Admiral » Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:39 am

As an Australian who's been drinking Cragganmore downunder for quite a while, I believe the bottlings here have been fairly consistent over the last 3 or 4 years. Certainly the label and packaging has remained unchanged.

I believe Cragganmore is a unique malt in that one's appreciation of it is very much affected by what is or was already on the palate. Try a Cragganmore after dinner one night, and then the next night, have a dram before dinner. I have done this frequently, and found the "post-dinner" dram to be much more smooth, balanced, and "relaxed". Drunk before dinner, I notice more sharp elements (possibly the smoke or peat) that seem to be less obvious after a meal.

This has also been my experience with the Cragganmore Distiller's Edition. However, I haven't tried any independant bottlings to test my theory on!

I would be very surprised if UDV were shipping different bottlings of Cragganmore to different countries around the globe?
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ize » Wed Feb 26, 2003 7:32 am

Skywalker has a point. Some days it just useless to taste whisky, Johannes van den Heuvel ( www.maltmadness.com ) calls it "bad nose day". When I have new whisky to be tasted and tested, I usually start with a reference whisky to make sure my tastebuds are functioning. For heavy whiskies, like Islay whiskies, I use at the moment Longmorn as a reference. For lighter whiskies I currently use Springbank.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder