Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tasting Advice.

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Tasting Advice.

Postby GaryMurning » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:32 pm

Okay, ladies and gents—a question you may not have had before: I have a physical disability that makes lifting a glass difficult (okay, impossible), but I do love my whisky. (Currently discovering the Japanese whiskys.) My solution is to go to for the obvious and use a straw.

My question is: I haven't really noticed any discernible difference in tasting whisky in this way—but do you have any suggestions on how I might improve the tasting experience while drinking using this method? I would not want to be missing out, as I'm sure you'll understand :-)

Thanks for your time and happy drinking,

Gary.
GaryMurning

Re: Tasting Advice.

Postby AdamMY » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:27 am

Are you able to get up close and personal and smell the whisky? The next big step in its enjoyment would be to find a way to make sure you can really get your nose close to/ in the glass to get a big wiff. In fact Nosing a whisky is nearly as crucial to enjoying a whisky as drinking it.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby GaryMurning » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm

AdamMY wrote:Are you able to get up close and personal and smell the whisky? The next big step in its enjoyment would be to find a way to make sure you can really get your nose close to/ in the glass to get a big wiff. In fact Nosing a whisky is nearly as crucial to enjoying a whisky as drinking it.

As far as picking up the glass and swirling it around goes, no, I'm not able to do that. I do use a relatively tall glass, however, and it is usually positioned two or three inches from the nose. Not good enough to get the proper effect, I know. I do occasionally smell the whisky with assistance. But not always possible.
GaryMurning

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:44 am

Swirling the glass isn't really necessary, since the aromas rise naturally. It would be nice if you could get your nose closer to the glass. Shorter straw and higher table? ;-)

After the nose, the important part is the tasting itself. After sipping some into your mouth, open a bit to bring air through, and "chew" it to get all the flavors. Just be careful not to let any slip down your windpipe this way. I've done this more than once and it's painful! :oops:
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder