Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

White Horse

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

White Horse

Postby Torodd » Wed Jan 29, 2003 8:44 pm

I bought a liter of White Horse for £ 15 at Tesco yesterday. I gather that this is a special offer. It is a superb blend, and more than worthy the price.
White Horse is based on Lagavulin. Which is obvious from the smell, the bouquet and the aftertaste. But there is also a lot of smoke and malt in this dram. It simply taste as a good whisky.
I would put White Horse among the best blends on the market. Along Johnnie Walkers Red & Black, Chivas Regal, Teachers and Black Bottle.

A brilliant blend for the black, winter nights. I am a fan.
Torodd

Bowmore Surf and Mariner

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Mar 12, 2003 12:07 am

I'm currently on a bottle of Bowmore 17 yr old which tastes like biting into a big thick roast beef sandwich with a sprinkle of pepper. I also like Bowmore Darkest and Bowmore Legend but not 12 yr old.

Has anyone ever had Bowmore Surf or Bowmore 15 yr old Mariner?

WHat were they like as compared to the other ages and finishes?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Scooter » Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:23 am

If you're a fan of what Chivas Regal USED to taste like, rather than this blend they have going now, try out The Pinch 15YR. Here in NY it's about $29 for a 750ml (I think...close anyway) For me the age (15Yrs) blows Chivas out of the water (at least the current blend). I know plenty of Former Chivas drinkers who used to swear by nothing but, but as soon as the blend changed, they found it lacking and switched to Pinch 15 as a equally priced but better blend. Don't get me wrong on Chivas. I'm still a fan but my taste buds appearantly have good memories and found a recent sampling of Chivas 12yr a tad dissapointing to what it used to taste like. Either way, it's still great stuff. I just like trying different stuff w/o going broke as does anybody else. Check out The Pinch 15YR.
Scooter

Postby Mattiasss » Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:56 pm

From my experience, the Surf is much more like the 12 than the other, that is a bit rough, I like the older &/ finished versions better, there is something about the "raw" Bowmore I don't really apreciate
Mattiasss

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder