Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Sherry finished malt whisky

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Laphroaig

Postby Scully » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:04 pm

Hello all!

I am a die-hard lover of all things Lagavulin and was thinking of exploring the world of Laphroaig. I was wondering which is the better of the two--the 10 year old or the 15 year old? Also, if anyone else can reccomend another good peaty Islay by all means feel free to contribute.

Slainte and many thanks in advance!

Scully

[This message has been edited by Scully (edited 07 January 2003).]
Scully

Postby Ize » Tue Jan 07, 2003 1:33 pm

I warmly rise a flag for 10yo version, it has a massive smoke kick. 15yo is more sophisticated in taste though, but lacks that rough edge which I'm so fond of.

Kippis,
Ize
Ize
Silver Member

Postby scotspain » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:13 pm

Both Laphroaig are good. You should also try the 10 yo Cask Strengh.
Next you should explore Ardbeg, start with the 10 yo and the look for some older.

Stig
scotspain

Postby Lemmy » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:25 pm

Try Cadenhead`s 11y.o. Ardbeg (Bond Reserve) 62,2% vol. It`s a peat monster.
But I think, it`s sold out.
Lemmy

Postby Aidan » Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:33 pm

The 10 yr old is quite cheap, so you can't loose trying that.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:20 pm

I would vote for the distillery bottling at cask strength or the Murray McDavid 1987 labeled Leapfrog.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Gate » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:05 pm

The cask-strength 10-year-old is great for that big kick, although I probably prefer the 15-year-old most times. The regular 10-year-old is fine, but nowhere near as good as the unchillfiltered Ardbeg 10-year-old. Talking of big kicks, if you can get your hands on the Signatory "Vintage Islay" (I got it from WhiskyWorld in Holland via the Web), it's a five-year-old cask-strength Lagavulin and doesn't hold back! I put some of mine into a home blend because I originally found it just too much on its own, but I've had a couple of drams since the weather turned cold, and it's grown on me. Just don't expect any finesse.

[This message has been edited by Gate (edited 08 January 2003).]
Gate
Silver Member

Postby Scully » Fri Jan 10, 2003 3:18 am

Thanks all...picked up a bottle of laphroaig 10 (what a dram...outstanding!) and an unchill filtered 10 yr old ardbeg (another outstanding dram!). One question...which should I buy next the 17 year old ardbeg or the 15 year old laphroaig?

Slainte and many thanks!

Scully
Scully

Postby Gate » Fri Jan 10, 2003 11:46 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Scully:
which should I buy next the 17 year old ardbeg or the 15 year old laphroaig?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whichever's cheaper! Both fine drams, but I think the Laphroaig 15 is probably a better version of Laphroaig than the Ardbeg 17 is of Ardbeg.
Gate
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Jan 10, 2003 4:41 pm

Ardbeg 17 is a different Ardbeg than the unchillfiltered TEN. I like both of them very much but they are differnet drams. The TEN is a smoke peat monster while the 17 is a sophisticated peaty, phenolic Islay. The 17 is much more composed while the TEN is a brash youngster blowing smoke in your face. If you like the brash nature of TEN you may find 17 disappointing. OTOH, if you find the TEN a bit too rough for everyday drinking (like I did) then the 17yo is wonderful stuff.

I still haven't had Laphroaig 15yo but will pick some up as I enjoy the 10yo.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Wed Mar 19, 2003 11:07 pm

Pretty much what was said. Almost all the findings above would echo my experiences. I like the Leapfrog (Murray McDavid bottling) as a slightly cleaner version, but certainly enjoy the 15s depth.
The 10 is just what was mentioned, my go to for a rough around the edges affordable killer.

While we are on the subject of Peat and also Murray McDavid's came up, I can't say enough about the Bowmore bottling they have put out. That's got to be one of the heaviest peated Bowmores I have had and the richness of other uncharacteristic flavors almost says it's something of a blend. Islay with fruit and other aspects that are usually drowned out by heavy peat. And the price of this, as a private bottle is astounding.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Sherry finished malt whisky

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 20, 2003 3:44 pm

I do not profess to be a connoisseur on malt whisky. I enjoy a glass,and I only really came across this site whilst searching for some crystal whisky glasses.
For my own needs I have four bottles on tap.two blends and two malts.
Teachers, Jamisons,Glemarangie and Bowmore legand.
What confuses me is the double standards I am seeing. in one breath I am told " never mix anything with malt whisky, drink it neat. In the other breath people are drinking malt whisky tasting of sherry.
Would the wine drinker put whisky in his best claret.
Just a thought.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 20, 2003 5:39 pm

There is no sherry in sherry finished malt whisky. It is aged for the last few years in a sherry butt instead of the usual whisky maturation in refill oak or bourbon casks. Some whiskies are finished entirely in sherry butts. There isn't any sherry in a sherry aged or finished whisky, there is just influence by the different type of wood used to mature sherry as compared to refill oak and bourbon casks.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Mar 20, 2003 6:19 pm

Its just that, I am sure I read, that some whisky was aged in "old" sherry barrels.
I took this to mean that they had contained sherry in the past.
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:41 pm

That is true but there is very little sherry left in the wood and this 'swish' as they call it has little effect if any. Even the bourbon casks are reused. Fresh casks are not common in the world of scotch whisky. Refill bourbon and sherry are most common.

See http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Louvre/5822/casks.html

Harry

[This message has been edited by hpulley (edited 20 March 2003).]

hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 20, 2003 7:53 pm

Some purists agree with you too that all these rum, port and now even things like islay finished speysiders are going too far but other say if it tastes good, drink it!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:27 am

I find that when I have Laphroaig 10 yr old then it jumps out of the bottle and into the glass.

I've never had 15 yr old Laphroaig but I have had the Cask strength 10 yr old and I thought it tasted like very bad cough medicine.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Czarny » Sun Mar 30, 2003 5:24 pm

Has any one tasted the Laphroaig 30yo, I had a dram (small one) one day at a festival and from what I remember it was really great: very fruity and complex, peaty but not strong and not at all woody. The 15 yo version even tasted a bit rough afterwards. Only problem about this malt: it price: only 300€ !!!
Czarny

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder