Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Which one should I pick?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Which one should I pick?

Postby nir63rin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:02 pm

I'm new in this whisky world, so I would appreciate your help in my decision:

Which of these three whiskys do you think is better?

• Jack Daniel's
  • Johnnie Walker White Label
  • Johnnie Walker Blue Label

I would especially appreciate your opinion about the first one, Jack Daniel's. Is it good?
nir63rin

Re: Which one should I pick?

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm

Welcome to the forums! :thumbsup:

Trying to compare Jack Daniel's and any Johnnie Walker blended Scotch is like comparing apples and oranges - two entirely different beasts. Also, I've never heard of Johnnie Walker White Label. Perhaps you're referring to the new 18-year old Platinum Label? If so, I haven't had the opportunity to try that one as yet.

In the Jack Daniel's stable, I'd describe some of the offerings as follows:

The regular Old No.7 - fairly unchallenging and a tad rough around the edges. Better as a mixer than as a sipper.
Gentleman Jack - Much, much smoother, and one you can actually sip and enjoy. Overall, however, not an exceptional pour by any stretch of the imagination.
1954 Gold Medal - A lot more character, with the spices bouncing around the palate. Clean distillate with no off notes.
Single Barrel - The combination of higher alcohol and greater maturity brings added textural richness and length of flavour. More expensive, to be sure. But if you're set on a JD, this is the one I'd recommend.

Now to Johnnie Walker Blue Label. In the final analysis, this one's a status symbol, and unfortunately little more (especially given the care that is supposedly lavished on its production). Nice whisky? Absolutely. Worth the asking price? Nope. Why? Because for the same price (or less), you could purchase any number of superior blended Scotches, blended malt Scotches or single malt Scotches. Don't forget that the Johnnie Walker lineup of blended Scotches is aimed primarily at the widest possible drinking audience worldwide. It is, therefore, something of a cash-cow for Diageo.

Hooked on the idea of buying a Johnnie Walker whisky? Search out any remaining bottles of the Gold Label 18 Year Old (a blended Scotch presently being replaced by a no-age-statement Gold Reserve and the way too costly Platinum Label 18 Year Old) or the Green Label 15 Year Old (a truly excellent blended all-malt Scotch) before they disappear from the shelves.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:42 am

Pretty much agree with The Third Dram.

If going for Jack Daniels and you are looking for one to sip not mix I would go for the Silver Select. I've had all the JD's TTD mentioned except the 1954 and the Silver Select is a cut above. I've also had the Jack Daniels Tennessee Honey.

I have had the JW Platinum. Quite a lot better than Blue Label in my opinion. The Platinum however reminds me somewhat of the Green Label in style but not quite as good and as the Green costs a fair bit less no need to bother with the Platinum.

If you do buy a bottle of Green Label it is a great stepping stone to Single Malt Whisky. If you fancy this one I could see you becoming a whisky lover.

Also as TTD mentioned, American Whisky/Bourbon and Scottish Whisky either blended or single malt are very different animals. Japanese whisky however, is made in the Scottish tradition but with some unique qualities added.

http://www.thejapanesewhiskyreview.com/
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby sandy23 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:35 pm

Jack Daniel's i think .its awesome.
sandy23

Postby stellamarker1 » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:18 am

I suggest u Johnnie walker....
When you taste Blue, you realise why Johnnie Walker is such a well-known name. I love everything about this great Scotch blend.
stellamarker1

Postby raithrover » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:39 pm

Why these 3 in particular?
raithrover

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 pm

JW Blue is the best of the three I guess, but its an outrageous waste of money when there are so many much better whiskies for so much less.

I agree with RR, why these three?
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder