Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

first ever tasting of Bowmore 12 too floral

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Bowmore 12 Years Old

first ever tasting of Bowmore 12 too floral

Postby HP 4 me » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 pm

Hey everyone. When it comes to Islay malts, i usually stick to Ardbeg Uigedail and my favorite Caol Ila. Afew days ago, I thought it would be nice to give the Bowmore 12 that has been sitting at the back of my shelf for a few years now, a try. I poured a measure, waited a few minutes, and then stuck my nose in the glass..... WOW!! I dont know where Bowmore gets lemon and honey on the nose for tasting notes, but all i got was FlOWERS!! Roses/lillacs basically a basket of flowers. Took a sip.... Yup more of the same.... to the point where it became borderline unenjoyable for me. Has enyone else found this with the 12 year old? :o
HP 4 me

Re: first ever tasting of Bowmore 12 too floral

Postby Ganga » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 am

I get floral notes on younger bowmore. I think of it as more lavendar but can see roses and lilac as good descriptors. My problem is that some of the Bowmores are more of a perfume than floral. Those become sickly sweet and foul.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:57 am

I haven't noticed floral, but the younger ones are always herbal - vegetal, green, weedy. Which is okay. Others are perfumey, which is horrible.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby taralt » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:45 pm

I agree, Bowmore 12 is quite floral and perfumey, and not in a good way. I thought it was ok when I first tried it, but now after having Ardbeg and Lagavulin the Bowmore seems a poor relation. Much less smoke than the other Isay's I've tried.

I also get a sort of buttery flavour from it? I do get the honey, but again in a sickly sort of way rather than the smooth, warming honey from good Speyside malts. Not a particularly complex whisky either.
taralt

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:16 pm

I definitely get floral notes in Bowmore. Some are over the top on the floral notes and some have just a nice background note of floralness. Don't give up on Bowmore but it is wise to be selective when buying Bowmore, such as finding tasting notes from people you trust or trying it in advance.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby taralt » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:58 pm

I have heard that Bowmore's Tempest expression is supposed to be better. Has anyone tasted it?
taralt

Related whiskies : Bowmore 12 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder