Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 18, weird experience

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Highland Park 18, weird experience

Postby r0b » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:49 pm

I recently bought my 3rd bottle of HP 18. I've always enjoyed this malt tremendously but this time there's LOTS that seems to have changed. Nosing the first glass was a shock - extreme sulphur, burnt rubber and scorched engine oil. Water brought more fruit but still _way_ off target.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:44 am

I've never had a bad HP 18 but that sounds like too long in a sherry cask which tends to give that sulphur, rubber smell.

My favorite malt for a long time was Bowmore Darkest Sherry Casked but my last bottle was awful, again probably overdone sherry but other weird notes of awful perfume. I should have returned that bottle but didn't so now it is mainly used as a BBQ sauce component, for which it is surprisingly good! Along with some House of Parliament Sauce, Bowmore Darkest makes a wonderful rib marinade now that we are in BBQ season! If I were you, I'd try to return it if possible before resorting to cooking uses for an expensive dram.

That bottling made me shy of all Morrison Bowmores as I've heard other people have had the same problem, even with some non sherry bottlings so I don't know if yours and my cases are bad bottling techniques, bad casks, 'corked' bottles or what (corked wine I know but not corked whisky). If I try another Bowmore I will return it right away if it is not good.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:04 pm

My last 'darkest' underwheled me. Nothing special. HP 18 is a gem but is difficult to get now. What you describe is not normal for the HP 18.

I have had a corky whisky recently, a 10 year old springbank but it was the only one I have ever had.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby r0b » Thu May 01, 2003 3:12 am

Hello hpulley & Nic,

I've never really understood what a corked whisky is. With wine it's one thing but with whisky...? What signifies a corked malt in terms of nose & palate?
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri May 02, 2003 9:12 pm

It is pretty much identical to wine, that musty taste. I was dubious in whisky until I got one! I have only ever come across it once, in a springbank 10 year.
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Admiral » Mon May 05, 2003 3:28 am

The good folk over at the PLOWED society in the USA have frequently been critical of recent Bowmore bottlings having awful perfume notes. In fact, Bowmore is rarely referred to on their discussion forum without mentioning "FWP" (french whore's perfume) somewhere in the description.

This has particularly been the case when discussing Bowmore Darkest, so it would appear to be a widespread and common observation.

I'm not sure how and where this translates to the HP18 though. I've tried several different sherry-casked HP's from independents lately (SMWS and MacKillop's Choice) and found them to be less enjoyable than the official bottlings.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder