Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg 10 Cask Strength 57.8%

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Ardbeg 10 Cask Strength 57.8%

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:41 am

Has anybody ever tasted the OB ARDBEG Ten years Old Cask Strength 57.8% and bottled in 2003?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:01 am

I'm not aware of this bottling. Do you have one in your mitts, or in the crosshairs? I'll be right out.
Deactivated Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:57 am

Hi guys ,
this was a Japan only release (haven't tried this one unfortunately) , it was released about the same time as the Feis Ile , wish they'd done the same as this years 1990 Japan only bottling and kept some back at the distillery . Caskstrength 10yo must be one of the most anticipated Ardbegs , i know i keep hinting to people in important positions that a release would go down pretty well amongst us Ardbeggians !
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:04 pm

I had a cask strength Ardbeg from the SMWS about two years ago. What a beauty!! (Although it was in its late teens!)

I've also had two of the Committee Reserve bottlings which were at cask strength, and they were also significantly good.

I imagine this 10yo must really pack a punch!
Seems strange that an expression would be released for Japan only? You'd think they'd at least hit all of Asia, or the Pacific, or something? What did the Japanese do to receive such a blessing?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm

I wonder what the logic was to bottle a Ardbeg 10 Cask Strength for such a tiny portion of the market? And to do a limited release, 600 bottles when the rest of us would be thrilled to have a cask strength OB Ardbeg. Let's hope they introduce one soon.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:48 pm

I suspect it has to do with distributors and distribution and marketing deals. If you're going to do a small Japanese language packaging and marketing deal anyhow, doing a separate batch of labels and boxes you might as well do a single cask run at the same time. In Canada we get a French/English box for Ardbeg TEN and Laphroaig 10yo while most others are just english with a sticker of the minimum required french (if that).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:46 pm

I'm in Quebec a lot, and anything available at the SAQ is fully bilingually labeled. What a complicated thing it is to send stuff to different markets--if it was only labels, it would be bad enough, but of course North American bottles must be 750ml, while British ones are 700ml. And then there are duty-free 1l and even 1.14l bottles...what do y'all get in Europe and Australia?

I imagine Japan is likely the biggest market in Asia for Scotch, both in terms of taste and the money they are willing to spend. It doesn't surprise me that they get any number of special bottlings. Wish I could work out a way to get some o' that Ardbeg CS, though.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:54 pm

In Australia, we get 700ml bottles.

Most (although certainly not all) single malts are also bottled at 43% for our market as well.

Perhaps the Japan incident is a trial run or market test case? They're seeing how the Japanese react, and based on its success or otherwise, that may influence how a future cask strength gets marketed for other global markets?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:41 pm

Admiral wrote:Perhaps the Japan incident is a trial run or market test case? They're seeing how the Japanese react, and based on its success or otherwise, that may influence how a future cask strength gets marketed for other global markets?

Cheers,
Admiral

Don't think so Admiral , if anything it won't be until at least 2007/8 until we might see a CS Ten . That's what Stuart seemed to say when i interview him for my site and with the AVY been released at CS up until it reaches 10yo .

slainté

Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:20 am

After reading your posts and thinking about it I think Ardbeg would offer the CS to the Committee members first as they did with the Ardbeg Very Young. Here's hoping.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:51 am

But isn't the idea of the Committee bottlings to provide a unique and different expression that the public don't get access too?

I thought that's why they called them "Committee Reserve" bottlings.

I haven't seen any VYA yet....was the VYA offered to the committee the exact same vatting? Or at the same strength?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:07 pm

Admiral, this is from the Ardbeg website:

Very Young Ardbeg

The Committee has spoken. This release of Very Young Ardbeg at 58.3% is a vigorous whisky on its way to full maturity. We asked for feedback on our first bottling of Very Young last year and the comments were so good that our 'under discussion' bottling has graduated to a 'committee approved' bottling.
It's smokey, fresh and fruity....enjoy.

It seems that the Committee bottlings are limited to the members first and on rare occasions they spill into the main stream as did Ardbeg Very Young.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:34 pm

It looks like the Kildalton has also 'spilled' out into the regular bottling page. Here's hoping we get Very Young, Oogie and Kildalton here soon :D

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:38 pm

Harry, do you think they made enough Kildalton for sale around the world?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:45 pm

I don't know about worldwide distribution but Stuart said (offhand in a chat group, not in an official release or anything) that all three would be in north america this year, including Ontario Canada. Didn't ask about BC, sorry.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:39 pm

Lawrence wrote:Harry, do you think they made enough Kildalton for sale around the world?

There's always enough, if the price is high enough. I don't mean that to sound cynical--it's just basic laws of supply and demand.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:44 am

Well....obviously, it would only be officially distributed to certain markets, but ebay or internet sales from liquor stores that despatch overseas obviously opens up the doors a bit.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ed » Tue Jan 18, 2005 3:30 pm

Hello All,
I will have to go and have a look for this. I don't think I have seen it, but I am not sure. I have seen the Laphroiag 10 CS and for a reasonable price, I may have seen the Ardbeg 10 CS... I am just not sure.

If I keep buying whisk(e)y at this rate I will have to open a shot bar to support my habit...
Ed

Ps. We just had a little earthquake. I have got to get my whiskey collection down off the bookshelves and someplace safer...
Ed
Silver Member

Postby STella » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:08 pm

We have a bottle of this Ardbeg for the japanese market. :D :D Bought it on spec 18 months ago, but trying to find out how much its worth for the insurance! Can't seem to find a hint of it anywhere. Any help peeps could give us would be gratefully received :D
STella

Postby bernstein » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:49 pm

Hi STella,
this particular bottling retails at 169,90 EUR around here.
Hope, it helps.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MacLover » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:38 am

MrTattieHeid wrote: I imagine Japan is likely the biggest market in Asia for Scotch, both in terms of taste and the money they are willing to spend. It doesn't surprise me that they get any number of special bottlings. Wish I could work out a way to get some o' that Ardbeg CS, though.

Hello MrTattieheid,

Just so happens that I have a spare bottle of the Ardbeg 10YO CS for Japan, I believe I have a spare of the 1990 CS also, but as I ship all my bottles back to be stored at home I will have to double check the inventory when I get back to the US (maybe November). Let me know if you are interested and maybe we can work something out. In my humble opinion the 1990 CS is far superior.

You are correct that Japan is the biggest market in Asia for Scotch and if I recall correctly it is the 2nd largest Scotch consuming country in the world behind Germany(?) .

It is staggering to see how much the Japanese appreicate whisky. There are a great number of whisky bars here that have in excess of 300 bottles on their shelves that are available to drink, including some very rare ones such as Black Bowmore, Springbank West Highland 1966 24YO, SB Local Barleys..... and as whisky was intended, they drink them. Offered alot of opportunities for me to walk in and sample alot of different drams that I otherwise could not afford.

There are quite a few Japan only bottlings made. Off the top of my head I know the Ardbeg 10 YO CS, 1990 CS (although some were held back at the distillery), Sherry Cask No. 4700 and Springbank has also done quite a few (I believe the most). There are a few dumpy and pear shaped bottles that are in high demand by collectors now and a very odd Springbank Saxplayer that was made for Japanese businessmen to exchange as gifts (a plastic saxplayer that had a 350ml bottle of vintage springbank in it).

An interesting note (at least for me :roll: ) is if you watch ebay you will notice an absence of people from Japan who participate in the auctions. This is because: 1) It is illegal to ship alcohol out of Japan (although there are ways :) ), but there are a few buyers I know that are extremely active in purchasing off of ebay 2) Yahoo Auction Japan is very well established and entrenched in Japan as one of their primary means of selling and trading whisky, especially rare bottles. It is staggering how many bottles of whisky trade hands on this site even at $3K a pop.

Sorry about the long winded spiel. MrTattieHeid, let me know about the Ardbeg.
MacLover

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:03 am

You are most kind to offer. PM to follow. If you want to sell it, and it's out of my price range, I'm sure others here will be interested.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:35 am

Hi there,

Admiral the AVY for the committee was 5 years old. When the fans and among them many committee members started nagging about how the Ardbeg comes out under the Glenmorangie regime their first response was "You are lovely and dedicated but also crazy, the new Ardbeg is only 5 years old!"
But persistancy prevailed and Ardbeg launched the 5 year old for committee members only and cunningly named it "For Discussion". The committee members were delighted and Ardbeg launched the Very Young for the common people. It is 6 years old and on the back label you can read "Committee Aproved".

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:49 pm

The Committee bottling was 6yo as well , the only difference was the distilling year , the Committee one was 1997 and the general release was 1998 .
Slainté
Gordon
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby STella » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:32 pm

Does any one know where the 7 Year old Ardbeg Very Young is?

First Commitee only as made 97. Bottled 2003
General release Very Young 98 Bottled 2004
???????????????????????????98 Bottled 2005

Ardbeg made a big song and dance that they would release every year until 10. I, like a lot of you I am sure are trying to get a few of each year.

Any one know???

STella
STella

Postby kallaskander » Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:35 pm

Hi there,

no, I don´t know. But since the dancing and singing Ardbeg has been sold again. Who knows what the new owner has decreed on this policy? There is more prospective profit in letting the spirit mature to 10, 12 15 or 17 years. On the other hand the AVY 6 years is not exactly cheap either.
I was wondering, too would be about time to release a 2005 bottling, wouldn´t it?

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Re: Ardbeg 10 Cask Strength 57.8%

Postby robenim » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:07 am

Just came googling around this very old post. Does anybody know if there's still a chance to get hold of this 10 CS?
robenim

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:32 am

Here are a few pics of the TEN CS bottled in 2003. I got these from an auction site, and it seems like they have sold between 165 Euro to 475 Euro in the last few years.

Front Label

Back Label

lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Re:

Postby lohssanami » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 am

You'll just have to watch auctions for this one Robenim!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby robenim » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:43 am

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out!
robenim

Postby enzot » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:03 pm

Of course we do now have an Ardbeg 10 Y.O cask strength...the Renaissance at 55.9 %.
Not as rare as the Japanese release but still a cracking dram.

Cheers
Enzo...
enzot

Postby robenim » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 pm

I really enjoy the Renaissance for drinking but I would like to add the 10YO CS to my collection... not to be opened soon...
robenim

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:08 am

...and not forgetting the venerable Oogie!

BTW if you want a translation of the back label it goes like this:

"Of arr Isray's whiskies ALDBEG stands arone as the most DERICATE and COMPREX: leveled by connoisseuls as something EXTLAOLDINALY...
...NON CHIRR-FIRTELED for MAXIMUM FRAVOUL.

On adding watel a ritter croudiness may stirr ocull which is PELFECTRY NATULAR."

Just in case you were wondering...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby shoganai » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:57 am

Reggaeblues wrote:...and not forgetting the venerable Oogie!

BTW if you want a translation of the back label it goes like this:

"Of arr Isray's whiskies ALDBEG stands arone as the most DERICATE and COMPREX: leveled by connoisseuls as something EXTLAOLDINALY...
...NON CHIRR-FIRTELED for MAXIMUM FRAVOUL.

On adding watel a ritter croudiness may stirr ocull which is PELFECTRY NATULAR."

Just in case you were wondering...

**spews whisky from nostrils onto CPU**
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby robenim » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:56 am

Is that the same text as on the 1990 CS? :wink:
robenim

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder