Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What whiskies to bring back from UK?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

What whiskies to bring back from UK?

Postby AustinJim » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:17 pm

Hello All,
I have a friend coming from London soon and I would like to get suggestions on whiskies she might be able to pick up in the airport that we can't get here (or are rare) in the states. I don't yet know which airport she's leaving from. Also, I'd like to keep the list to medium priced whiskies so I don't break the bank! My personal preference runs to the Islays, islands and Speysides.
I'll appreciate any suggestions!
AustinJim

Postby Iain » Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:43 pm

Glen Grant 10 year old is much under-rated, is inexpensive (usually in the price range UK£14.99-£18.99), and afaik is not available in the USA. Be sure to stipulate you don't want the no age or the 5, though!

Actually the GG10 is not widely available in the UK either, but you can usually get it from any branch of Oddbins.
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Wed Mar 05, 2003 3:30 am

Try any of the Distiller's Editions of the Classic Malts. If you have a liking for Islay's, then you must get the Lagavulin Distiller's Edition.
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 05, 2003 11:03 pm

There's a very good collection in the whisky shop in heathrow airport dutyfree (or is it gatwick). Whatever it is, I say fill you trolley.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ST Islay » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:22 am

I would suggest a bottle or two of Laphroaig Cask Strength. It is not available here in the USA. I haven't tried it but it is supposed to be more flavorful than the reg.10
ST Islay

Postby Tigger » Thu Apr 03, 2003 7:42 pm

Why don't you contact on of the great whisky retailers in britain??? I know for a fact that Royal Mile Whiskies (retailer of the year 2003) ship across the Atlantic... www.royalmilewhiskies.com - I think that's the adress anyway...
Tigger

Postby Gate » Fri Apr 04, 2003 8:39 am

The new Longrow sherry wood bottling is definitely available only in the UK (unless Cadenheads speak with forked tongue) - can be got at the Cadenheads shop in Covent Garden. Whether it's in the airports, though, I don't know. If limited to airports, the Berry Bros. store at Heathrow can have some wonderful occasional bottlings which you're unlikely to see anywhere else: I got a superb 22-year-old Laphroaig from there (also a not-so-superb 23-year-old Glen Grant, but you can't win 'em all).
Gate
Silver Member

Postby mdlarsson » Wed May 14, 2003 9:34 pm

I would recommend The Macallan 20's. 30's. 40's and 50's their only available at airports. And if she could get Ben Nevis 10y and 26y you will be a very happy boy.

Good Luck
Daniel
mdlarsson

Postby mdlarsson » Wed May 14, 2003 9:37 pm

I would recommend The Macallan 20's. 30's. 40's and 50's their only available at airports. And if she could get Ben Nevis 10y and 26y you will be a very happy boy.

Good Luck
Daniel
mdlarsson

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 15, 2003 4:48 pm

If any of the Flora and Fauna range from Diageo are there then get them. You perhaps have a better chance if you are able to get to an Oddbins store and there are many of those across the entire country.

BTW, I'm a Laphroaig die-hard and I thought that Laphroaig 10 yr old tasted like very bad cough medicine.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder