Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whats the best Bruichladdich?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Whats the best Bruichladdich?

Postby Ian_Hamilton » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:42 pm

Only tasted the 15yr old - GRRREAT.
But mostly wondering about old bottlings?
Comments on the new ones also really appreciated.
Want to get hold of a couple of the best bottlings
Cheers
Ian
Ian_Hamilton
Bronze Member

Postby Nic Rhodes » Sat Nov 16, 2002 7:16 pm

http://www.whiskymag.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000053.html

does this help?

I think 10, 15 and the 20 re all GGGGREAT
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:29 pm

That is a question that I think remains to be answered or discovered. Each Bruichladdich I have tasted has been worth every penny I spent. A really glowing presentation is the Murray McDavid bottling of this. Full of fruit and a slightly hidden peated finish. Very good and one of the best of the Murray McDavid bottlings I have come across!
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Ken » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:43 pm

The one you're drinking at the time?

...10 yo in this case: one of the best.
Ken

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jan 16, 2003 3:30 am

The old Whyte and Mackay version was fantastic at 10 yr old.

It made an excellent nightcap whisky. Be sure to snap it up if you ever find it. (The last time I saw it was in Broadford on the Isle of Skye).
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:26 pm

Cadenheads do a version which I think is 11 years old and dates from about 1990.

My notes indicate merely "SMOOOOOOOOTTTHHHH!!!!"

Can't remember if it was cask strength or not.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Rudy » Sun Apr 13, 2003 3:48 pm

Only tasted the new 20y.

They put it first in a blind n&t, so that's probably why no-one guessed it right. As far as I remember: very, very, very elegant. Not typical Islay but very good indeed. Like Speyside relates to the Highlands. Fruity, apples (Granny Smith?). At the end of the tasting we got back to the 20y and that made one remind of calvados...

Rudy.
Rudy
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:32 pm

Apparently Tesco's 12 yr old Ardnave Islay Malt (Blended by Richard Paterson of Whyte and Mackay) is Bruichladdich. It's excellent and costs £15.50 a bottle.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:42 pm

Wow Ian your thread is still here. After some time since I last responded, I have to say so far it's HANDS DOWN the 1970.

I don't want to start speaking volumes about it because Jim McEwan poured it himself and I was told a little water was used. In other words I was not present for the cracking of the bottle, and how much is a little water, and what kind of water was it anyway, all of this I dunno. It had been resting for about 30 minutes before I came on the scene, but man when I received my sip it was definitely a CLASSIC 5 star!!! Blows the doors off the 20Y/O, which I did finally get around to as well!
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Mattiasss » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:02 pm

I recently tested a Blackadder Raw Cask
Bruichladdich, I think it was 11 y/o.
That was a really great one, we found it more "Islay-type" than the standard bottlings, but those are great too.
Mattiasss

Postby Jeje » Thu May 15, 2003 3:43 pm

The XVII is better than the 15 year old to my taste. I also tasted a 1969 cask strengh (Gordon & MacPhail): wonderful nose but a bit too woody for me.
Jeje

Postby Nic Rhodes » Fri May 16, 2003 9:58 pm

still looking for the 17, is it out yet, my regulars haven't seen hide nor hair of it yet?
Nic Rhodes
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun May 18, 2003 7:03 pm

Checking my notes, 1991 Bruichladdich from Cadenhead's at 56% vol is indeed 'smoooooooth!'
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Jeje » Tue May 20, 2003 8:03 pm

You can find Bruichladdich XVII in Paris (La maison du whisky, check them out on www.whisky.fr)
Jeje

Postby mxmcat » Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:50 am

best for me : 1965, 1970 and 1984.

For having tasted the new spirit of Port Charlotte and a 1 yo sample of Octomore, those two one are pretty goods...
mxmcat

Postby bartok » Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:57 pm

I would place the five I've had in the following order- 1)20(new),2)10(new),3)21(old),4)15(new),5)10(old).
bartok

Postby Stephen » Tue Nov 25, 2003 12:47 am

I have tasted Bruichladdich_10yo( OB )、 Bruichladdich 1970( OB ) and Bruichladdich 1966 (bottled by Peerless) .

Bruichladdich_10yo:Young、Abundant
Bruichladdich 1970:Complex、Balanced
Bruichladdich 1966:Philosophic、Peaceful

I will taste The 10、The Twelve、The Fifteen、The XVII、The Links_St. Andrews'_14yo、Full Strength_1989_13yo and 1973 next month.
Stephen
Bronze Member

Postby mxmcat » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:06 pm

1989 Full strengh was a deception for me. the Laddie loses all it's character smoothness and equilibre in this version.
mxmcat

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:20 am

While I have enjoyed the 10, 15, XVII, the 20, 21(old) and 1984 - the best bang for the buck - and the most impressive, stand-out quality to me is the 15. It is truly outstanding.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Best Bruichladdich

Postby Lawrence » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:46 pm

The older style 21 is quite something but I suspect is hard yo find and will be going up in price...........however I am keen to try the Port Charlotte, the peated malt made by the new owners, however we will have to wait 10 years for it to mature.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Stephen » Tue Feb 03, 2004 2:05 pm

Bruichladdich 10yo (previous)
Nose: Flower fragrance and wheat fragrant
Taste: The liquor body thin, has the oil feeling, the Islay characteristic not not obviously, the feeling in the mouth is sweet, the end feeling is a piece is continuous but smooth

Bruichladdich 10yo (new)
Nose: Delicate fragrance flower fragrance and aloes wood
Taste: The nut taste, the flower fragrance, the light peat, the liquor body has the vigor, the style sprightly and rich, the end feeling transfers the wheat for the flower fragrance to be sweet

Bruichladdich 12yo (new)
Nose: Sherry fragrance and flower fragrance
Taste: Liquor body more solid, Islay style and Sherry well distributed harmonious, the feeling in the mouth transfers the flower fragrance by the Sherry taste, finally has the light too toffee sugar to be fragrant

Bruichladdich 1989 Cask Stenth 13yo (new)
Nose: Mature and solid bourbon fragrance
Taste: Concurrently elegantly with strength feeling bourbon fragrance, the salty taste melts into among, although is not complex, but feeling in the mouth full solid, the end feeling superior is long and fragrant

Bruichladdich 15yo (previous)
Nose: Flower fragrance and wheat fragrant
Taste: The Speyside style adds on some Spicy, the flower fragrance and the honey taste compares 10yo (previous) obviously, the end feeling sweet taste change is also better

Bruichladdich 15yo (new)
Nose: Flower fragrance and sea flavor
Taste: Islay style quite obvious, liquor body actually very graceful slender, the end feeling micro is sweet

Bruichladdich 17yo 'XVII' (new)
Nose: Sea breeze, flower fragrance and light hazel fruit fragrant
Taste: Integrity balanced, matches the Islay style bakes the fragrance, the end feeling by bakes the taste transforms into the delicate fragrance when also carries over the elegantly simple hazel fruit to be fragrant

Bruichladdich 1984 (new)
Nose: Circle supple wave this fragrance and fruit fragrant
Taste: Bourbon fragrance is prolonged, transforms the flower fragrance, but in bakes in the fragrance to finish

Bruichladdich 1973 (new)
Nose: The special lignin fragrance, completely is separated from the standard product level
Taste: In the lignin fragrance has the natural nut fragrant, the feeling in the mouth slender like silk, the end feeling is elegant and the fresh liquor is fragrant

The feelings with like:
First, 1973 very is really special, has the high year unique quality.
Second, 1989 Cask Stenth 13yo that elegant and full feeling in the mouth, is precisely style which I loves, beautiful and is strong!

Third, 17yo 'XVII' bakes the taste and the Islay style, lets I has known "the brand-new oak wooden barrel" charm.

Fourth, 10yo (new) rich and light is new, suits the early morning to drink uses, Best Buy!

Fifth, synthesizes this time tastes the experience, Bruichladdich this kind is fresh and the rich style, enables the person to be allowed not in the least the pressure and the burden but between the time limit does not enjoy, sufficiently mays be called is "the new heaven paradise", as a result of its special geographical position factor, also is "a cape paradise".
Stephen
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder