Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Buffalo Trace

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Buffalo Trace

Postby BigD » Mon May 26, 2003 7:24 am

Buffalo Trace is the best whiskey I have ever tasted. I love it. I love all Kentucky bourbon.

Does anybody else like it???

[This message has been edited by BigD (edited 26 May 2003).]
BigD

Postby Jeje » Tue May 27, 2003 1:51 pm

Buffalo Trace is one of the best whiskeys. I agree with you! Much better than Blanton's or Maker's Mark...
Jeje

Postby BourbonBorderline » Fri Mar 12, 2004 5:38 pm

Yes!!! I like the Buffalo!!! It is hard to find in my area, so when I locate it, I ususally stock up. I bought 3 bottles yesterday. And, at less than $20 a bottle, it is a great bargain, to boot.

You should also try Eagle Rare Single Barrel, and for a real treat, Booker's.
BourbonBorderline

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:25 pm

Don't Buffalo Trace make the Elijah Craig? I have that and really like it. It takes a while for the glue to leave the nose, but after that, it's great. Buffalo Trace is actually readily available over here.

What is your take on rye whiskey? I'd love to try it but can't get it over here.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BourbonBorderline » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:49 pm

Nope. Buffalo Trace is made by the Buffalo Trace Distillery, formerly Ancient Age Distilleries. Elmer T. Lee is Master Distiller.

Elijah Craig comes from Heaven Hill Distilleries - Evan Eilliams, Henry McKenna, Old Fitzgerald, Fighting Cock, etc. Parker Beam is Master Distiller.

Haven't tried Rye whiskey yet. All that's readily available around here is Old Overholt, and Jim Beam Rye. I'd be more inclined to start off with the Wild Turkey Rye. Wild Turkey, IMHO, is much better than Beam.
Of course there is the Sazerac 18 yr. Rye. THAT sounds good.

Bottoms up.
BourbonBorderline

Postby Admiral » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:09 am

I've tried the Jim Beam Straight Rye (the yellow label), which is reported to have only 51% rye in the mash bill, so it will obviously taste considerably different to a single malt rye like the Sazerac.

I found the JB rye to be quite strong & full-flavoured. Nothing subtle going on here, just a solid, juicy burst of american-style whisky flavour. As I said recently on a similarly-themed thread, the difference between the JB rye & some other bourbons I've tried wasn't earth-shattering, but I daresay that if you like bourbon, you won't be disappointed with rye. I was surprised at some of the flavours & aromas that came out when I prepared my tasting notes on the JB rye, including banana!
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby pibroch » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:31 am

Matt, go for the Wild Turkey Rye - absolutely wonderful IMO.

Jamie
pibroch

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:04 pm

The Hirsch Rye and Van Winkkle Rye are good ones to try as well. The Old Sazerac 18 is definitely for the developed Rye drinker, but a classic in its own rite.

Indeed Buffalo Trace is good bourbon for the price. Ahead of it though I'd score WL Weller 12 and Elijah Craig 12. These are about the best priced in depth bourbons I've come across. Old Forrester is somewhere right behind the pack as well. Anyone who likes Woodford Reserve might be surprised to learn that in a nutshell the Old Forrester is basically the exact same product. Storage is the main difference.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby BourbonBorderline » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:39 am

Try the Old Charter 12 YO. Very good. Close to BT.
BourbonBorderline

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:35 pm

Curious. . . without exact prices, how much more does Old Charter cost than Buffalo Trace where you purchase it? I try new bourbons and am a pretty strongly opinionated critic (you couldn't tell could you - LOL) . It's good to experience each bourbon as it seems you are doing.

What I've found is myself becoming more attuned. I pay strict attention to what I pay vs. what I get. If in you opinion, the Buffalo Trace is right on Old Charter's tale, AND $10.00-$15.00 cheaper, then for every visit to the store to get 1 bottle of Old Charter, I'd make five trips to get a bottle of Buffalo Trace!
:wink:
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby BourbonBorderline » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:08 pm

L -

Here in WA State, the Buffalo Trace is $19.60, the Old Charter 12 YO is $18.45, and the OC 10 YO is $16.30, Weller SR 7 YO is $15.30, and the Weller 12 YO is $19.25.

I like the BT a little bit better than the OC 12 YO. Since both of them are from BT Distilleries, and are very similar in taste, I assume that the BT is pushing 12 YO, too. No infor is given on their website.

Besides, the BT has a prettier bottle. :lol:
BourbonBorderline

Re: Buffalo Trace

Postby r0b » Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:56 pm

BigD wrote:Buffalo Trace is the best whiskey I have ever tasted. I love it. I love all Kentucky bourbon.

Does anybody else like it???

[This message has been edited by BigD (edited 26 May 2003).]

I opened my first bottle of BT less than a week ago. I had great great expectations but still, it blew me away. A fantastic bourbon, no doubt.
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Tue Apr 06, 2004 4:09 pm

BB:

The pricing structure you presented seems a little bit off. You say that $4.00 and some change on the Weller 12 is state tax. Which I assume means it costs around 15.50 (before penalties). Is that correct? If so that is about right. Does this mean Old Charter 12 Y/O at 18.45 is somewhere around 14.80 before penalties? That doesn't seem right to me but I learn a lot everyday.

As far as why you think one Buffalo Trace distilled product shows some similarities to other products out of the distillery, that's sort of a no brainer. Buffalo Trace only uses 5 recipes. That means everything from the distillery is made from one of those 5 recipes. . . What happens after that is a pure blend of magic and skill.

Here is some food for thought and the tip for the day. Weller was the "original wheated bourbon". Van Winkle is also a "wheated" bourbon, and from what I know, Weller and Winkle are for all intents the same exact thing in the barrel. The years in different storage facilities impart different results.
It's just that simple - or for the dork like myself, it's just that complicated!
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby Laphroaig » Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:00 pm

One side note... Scratch that about the Old Charter. I had in my mind the 13 Y/O. I think propreitor's reserve or what ever it is called. I'm not even familiar with the 12 Y/O at all so ignore my suspicion or statement about the price above -LOL-
:?
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder