Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

I tried a new Irish tonight.

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

I tried a new Irish tonight.

Postby coltrane » Sun Jun 08, 2003 12:12 am

I had John Powers 12 year old tonight and I thought it was really tasty! I'm not an experienced critic but it was complex and i tasted a lot of peaches for some reason. Does anyone else like this? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Coltrane
coltrane

Postby blackkeno » Sun Jun 08, 2003 6:05 am

I have not tried the Powers 12, but if you like pure pot still characteristics in that age rage, I would certainly try Redbreast. It is a 12 year old pure pot still Irish, rather than a blend with strong pure pot still influences( like the standard Powers).
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:05 pm

I adore Powers 12 year old. It is one of my favourate Irish whiskies and compares very favourable with the pure pot stills. It is the same combination used in the standard Powers, but it is aged longer.

This was a millenium edition, but hopefully they'll keep producing it.

Like Blackkeno, I would recoment the Redbreast, along with Greenspot, Jameson 15-yr old, Middleton for a similar character. And of course the standard Powers Gold Label is a great session whiskey.

Jameson 12 yr old has a pot still character, but doesn't have the same spiceness as Powers.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder