Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

By the way...

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

By the way...

Postby r0b » Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:24 pm

When I had my first sip of Teacher's it felt like being hit in the face by a big sherry-monster.

Tonight, I've given the monster two hours of my time and for the first time I agree with the bible. It's better to turn the other cheek.

*burp*

[blast! this was supposed to be in the thread "A very pleasant blended surprise". *sigh* Blame Teacher's. ]

[This message has been edited by r0b (edited 18 July 2003).]
r0b
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 21, 2003 1:58 am

Stick with it!
I have tried a lot of single malt and to be perfectly honest I find it too sweet pungent and smoky, rather like a cordial with no water.
Add the water! (in the case of whisky "Grain whisky") and it comes alive! under the heading "Blended Scotch whisky"
I have bought and tried several single malts at £30 a bottle, opened drunk and waited for the earth to move. alas to no avail, most single malt whisky IMHO has the texture of wine,including that "expensive blend Black Label". Have you drunk a good 5***** Brandy. That is how a spirit should taste, be alive refreshing, not sweet,sickly and pungent!
However a few blends blends have managed it.
"Teachers highland cream" and "Bells 8 year old) being two high on my list.
Both whisky!s whilst differing in texture and flavour have that "Bite" lacking in single malts and you can buy them on offer in the supermarket when on offer for as little as £14 per litre.
Deactivated Member

Postby r0b » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:46 am

Have you drunk a good 5***** Brandy. That is how a spirit should taste, be alive refreshing, not sweet,sickly and pungent![/b]

Don't you think it's futile comparing two vastly different spirits like that? There are hundreds of malts out there. Maybe you haven't found your favourite yet?

Both whisky!s whilst differing in texture and flavour have that "Bite" lacking in single malts ...

I agree that there are blends that are superiour to certain malts, but I generally find malts to be my first choice. It's not fair or realistic to say that bite is lacking in single malts. Have an Ardbeg, a Lagavulin, a Brora or if not into the peaty belters try a Dalwhinnie, an Oban, a Talisker or a Highland Park. It's all a matter of taste, sure, but these are not lacking in the bite department IMO.
r0b
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder