Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Poteen

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Poteen

Postby Ed » Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:31 pm

Helllo All,
I saw a bottle of "Poteen (Moonshine) Now legal!" in the discount today. It said that it had been illegal since 1631, but now this finest of all spirits was leagal and available. Well, I didn't get it but intend to. Has anyone had this or other products? What did you think?
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:55 pm

I don't know much about poteen other than that I've read that it's been legal for production for export since around 1990 but legal to produce to sell within Ireland since only around 1997, it's former illegality having the usual effects on myth and desirability. I've also heard the pronunciation is "puh-cheen". The name comes from it having been produced in small pots, don't know what that indicates for commercial producers.

I haven't come across a bottle and don't know anyone who has tried any of the newly available versions. I'd be interested in your evaluation so I encourage you to experiment for us :wink:

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

poteen

Postby richard » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:07 pm

i tasted poteen along side doug mcivor at millroys many years ago
i drank it neat it smelled orangey or jaffa cakes the only problen m drinking it neat it was still in my throat about half an hour later it felt like it was cleaning my throat of any residue in it hope this helps

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:31 pm

Would a knowledgeable person be so kind as to tell us what poteen is, exactly, and any history or other information that seems relevant? I crave education.
Deactivated Member

Postby richard » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 pm

if i am right it is whisky made from potatoes thats all can remember

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:07 pm

I won't by no means indicate, that I'm a knowledgeable person, but googling around I found the following link

http://www.irish-poteen.com/tradepress_harpers3.html

In short, poteen seems to be a triple-distilled grain or potato spirit. It comes in three strengths 60%, 70% and 90% ABV. Sounds to me like a german "Korn" though. Now I can imagine, why "apparently, the Church was not amused" :wink: ...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby akallio » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:19 pm

I don't know anything about the subject, but that doesn't stop me from answering...

Poteen seems a bit like grappa - the better it is, the farther it is from the original ("real") stuff. So I guess if you find a really good poteen, it has very little to do with the drop they made illegally back then.

But that was just guessing...
akallio

Postby lexkraai » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:42 am

I have heard rumours that some of the commercially available bottlings of poteen are nothing more than neutral spirit mixed with flavours. I've tasted a few of them next to 'real' poteen (i.e. from someone actually making the stuff in Ireland) and there is no comparison. The commercial bottlings I tasted were all sickeningly sweet, cologne-like. The 'real' stuff is harsh firewater, but has a lot more flavour and tastes 'honest' rather than 'chemical'.

For what it's worth!
Lex
lexkraai
Silver Member

Postby Ed » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:27 pm

Hello All,
Hello Lex,
That would have been my guess, however, I don't think I will be able to find the real deal here in Japan. Still, I will give the commerial stuff a go one of these days. My St. Pat's day dram will be Jameson's 12 yo. and maybe a bit of BlackBush.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:39 pm

Poteen is still illegally produced in Ireland and can be made from potatoes, turnips or grain. Mostly it's clear in colour, but sometimes it's kind of brown.

I'm not sure how the commercially available stuff is made.

We always had some floating about the house in a soft drinks bottle, and my father was a member of the Gardai.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:03 pm

Aidan, I take it your dad didn't make the stuff. Do you know anything about the process, as far as the home distiller is concerned? I'm not looking for a how-to (that would be illegal! :shock: ), I'm just curious.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:31 pm

Tattie

I don't know if the stuff I had was made from grain or potatoes. My dad didn't make it, but he would have had access to it as he is from the west.

I belive the make a brew with the potato liquids and distill it in a fairly basic still, pouring water over a kind of bulb where the alcohol is condensed. I don't know if they run this through the still again or not.

There are lots of stories of people going blind from drinking it, but who knows if this is true.

I think Peter Mulryan, who occasionally writes for Whisky Magazine, is writing a book on the subject.
Aidan

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:46 pm

Having tasted both commercial and 'shed-made' poteen, I think I'll stay away from both, the first was far too sweet and sticky and general not very nice, the second, the 'real thing' had me away with the faries!!!! Don't drink it if you plan to drive withing the next ten days!! It rots the brain!!

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:28 pm

Paul

There is a huge variation in the different poteen you can get, but you're right, they may be best avoided.

They say if you drink water with them, it makes you even more intoxicated. Not sure it this is true.
Aidan

Postby Aidan » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:42 pm

By the way - is moonshine the same as poteen?
Aidan

Postby akallio » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:32 pm

akallio

Postby rthomson » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:39 am

Aidan wrote:By the way - is moonshine the same as poteen?

They're illicitly made (at least that's how they gained their reputations), high alcohol distillations. So, in spirit ( :oops: ) they're the same. I believe poteen primarily (exclusively?) was distilled from potatoes while several different ingredients may have served for the base of moonshine. I've seen some old recipes that called for putting cheap wine into the pot still.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:24 pm

Here's a picture of a poteen still

I just remembered that I live beside a pub called The Poteen Still in Rathcoole. It has a rather large on on display.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:17 pm

Wow...that's pretty basic. I'm trying not to get ideas....
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:55 pm

You could make an even simpler version using a Adidas Rom for the still and a Henry Wintermans Cafe Creme cigarette tin for a condenser. Just add spuds.
Aidan

Postby Ed » Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:00 am

Hello All,
I have wanted to make whiskey since I was about 14 years old. I read about how the old timers used to make moonshine (100% corn whiskey, even the malt was corn) back in the Appalachian mountains in "Foxfire One". Of course, I haven't done it. I want to see what it takes to get a license to run a still here in Japan. Or see if they will hire me at the Yoichi distillery.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Re: Poteen

Postby PoteenUK » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:48 am

I would not suggest making it, it is much easier and safer to buy it. Have a look at http://www.Poteen.co.uk much easier :D
PoteenUK

Postby bscepter » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:12 pm

i had real poteen when visiting my mother in ireland in 1989. she lived in county mayo in a little town called ballycroy. we were at the local and some old guy whom she knew gave me a very small bottle under the table and told me to drink it when i got home.

i had a sip - it was like drinking a hospital. :yuk:
bscepter

Postby Onefortheditch » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:50 am

I was told Highland poteen tastes like a combination of alcohol, diesel, meths and sheep’s pish and is best avoided. I was also told the makers of it call it liquid sunshine!! Personally I’ve never tried it nor felt the need to seek it out! :yuk:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder