Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Rum Casks

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Rum Casks

Postby lk » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:33 am

New here but not to malt. Been a scotch whiskey fan since college in the '60's but more serious about it now.
I have noticed a number of "rum cask" whiskies lately like the Springbank, the Glenfiddich and the Glenmorangie. Has anyone tried any of these and what is your opinion? I have a bottle of the Havana Reserve but have not cracked it yet.
My main standby has been the Macallan 18 but I recently discovered the Aberlour Sherry 15 and think it's great.
lk

Postby blackkeno » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:57 am

I've tried three rum casked whisk(e)ys. The best has been the recent Springbank Wood series 12yo CS. I'm a big fan of the earlier Springbanks and IMHO this is the best since they started producing again (v. the 10's & 15). I've also tasted another rum finished Springer (from Europe) that was also quite interesting.

There is also Greenor, a rum finished Irish Single Grain. I'm quite fond of single grains and Irish Whiskey; and I found this to be very interesting as well.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Jeroen Kloppenburg » Mon Aug 25, 2003 3:17 pm

I only had 1 rum finish sofar, a Caol Ila. And although I still dont know what to think of all these finishes (even though the malt industry is using bourbon and sherry casks which is widely accepted) I still think this turned out quite nice.

You can view the tasting note about it here: http://www.peatfreak.com/Cnt.php?search=caol+ila+rum&Submit=Search%21
Jeroen Kloppenburg
Silver Member

Postby Czarny » Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:21 pm

I had once a dram or two of Bushmills Rum barrel vintage 1988 (specially selected for La Maison Du Whisky). It's a rather expensive (175€ per 70cl bottle) single cask, cask stength whisky (53.8%) . But it is REALY GOOD! Very frutty and sweet, well balanced with just a hint of woodiness. Very dinkable, but complex enought...

[This message has been edited by Czarny (edited 26 August 2003).]
Czarny

Postby blackkeno » Tue Sep 02, 2003 3:53 am

I had almost forgot about Bushmill's. I don't own one, but at the WhiskyExpo in San Francisco last year, I tried a sample. I thought it was about 18yo, and it was outstanding.
blackkeno
Bronze Member

Postby Czarny » Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by blackkeno:
I thought it was about 18yo, and it was outstanding.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree with you, however the price is also outstanding ...
I have also tried the Bushmills Bourbon Cask 1990 54,4 %. It's almost as good but a bit less expensive: 122€. I tried both those bushmills single cask last year at a festival in Paris, I had many very high standard and very expensive malts that night and those two bushmills are from the few that I really remember (when you have too much stuff to drink you only remember the striking drams …).
By the end of the night, I had the luck to take home an almost emptied bushmills rum cask bottle. I had two or tree more shots Image
Czarny

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder