Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

More on Talisker 10YO's dumbing down

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Postby bernstein » Sun May 08, 2005 8:24 pm

Thank you, andrewfenton!
I guess I should be working through my OB's before I'll try to get an idea of IB's, especially if they switch around and let me stand there out in the plains (the heath?) not knowing where I came from and where to go next.
Thanks again!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun May 08, 2005 10:12 pm

Lawrence wrote:Didn't the people who now make scotch burn down the White House and Capitol buildings in that war? I think it was a minor regional scrap. :wink:

Nahhhh...they're too young...must have been their ancestors, along with some of Lawrence's countrymen seeking advance revenge for all the stuff we've inflicted on Canada ever since. ;) (Though I think sending Celine Dion down here pretty much evened that score!)

Anyway, I think it was the folks from down south that started that nasty little regional scrap...the good people of Scotland had far better things to do...like making Scotch!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 08, 2005 11:55 pm

MGillespie wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Didn't the people who now make scotch burn down the White House and Capitol buildings in that war? I think it was a minor regional scrap. :wink:

Nahhhh...they're too young...must have been their ancestors, along with some of Lawrence's countrymen seeking advance revenge for all the stuff we've inflicted on Canada ever since. ;) (Though I think sending Celine Dion down here pretty much evened that score!)

Anyway, I think it was the folks from down south that started that nasty little regional scrap...the good people of Scotland had far better things to do...like making Scotch!

Mark

Yes, the "Kentucky War Hawks" (at least some of whom, I suspect, were of Scots ancestry), who wanted to annex Canada to the US. "A mere matter of marching," they said in colossal miscalculation (sound familiar?).

Okay for Lawrence to call it a regional conflict--as far as European settlement is concerned, his own region barely existed at the time. Cook landed in 1778, and Fort Victoria was not founded until 1843.(The Tlingit, Kwakiutl, and Haida will have a different view, of course.)

Washington was burned by mainly English troops, Wellington's Invincibles, under Major-General Robert Ross, an Irishman. The event was the culmination of a series of retributive acts going back to the burning of Newark, Ontario (now Niagara-on-the-Lake).

Interested persons may search for Pierre Berton's two-volume history of the War of 1812, The Invasion of Canada and Flames Across the Border. According to his memoir, Berton drank Canadian rye.
Deactivated Member

Postby Oliver » Sun May 08, 2005 11:55 pm

re: dumbing down of Talisker 10.

Well I didn't think I was going to add to this tread, until I attended a Diaego sponsored tasting Friday evening which included the Talisker 10 years old....

No question in my mind that it lost its edge.
During the tasting the Caol Illa 12, and 18 tasted peatier than the Talisker...The strong pepper finish of the Talisker 10 is now almost completely muted!

On an aside, I've got to comment that the folks at Diaego really overdo it with the artificial colouring in their malts to the point of being silly...

Oliver
http://www.maltresistance.blogspot.com
Oliver
Silver Member

Related whiskies : Talisker 10 Years Old

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder