Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Macallan 12yo (1990s)

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Macallan 12yo (1990s)

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:11 am

Recently moved to a new area, and over the past few days have been checking out the local liquor stores. Very few post their stock online, so I have been hitting as many as I can, looking primarily for lingering bottles of Laphroaig 15yo or the 10yo C/S 55.7% or 57.3% maybe.

Instead, I happened upon a bottle I did not expect: a 1990s Macallan 12yo. I thought perhaps of selling it for a profit, but then realized that sounds like someone other than me -- especially remembering how impressive this was when I had it at MikeyMad's place several years ago with Ganga.

The cork crumbled to pieces, but I managed to get it all out and replace it with a rubber stopper.

Color: Dark oaky hue
Nose: Praline ice cream, Werther's Original, bourbon-soaked basement walls, Almond Roca, ocean waves, expensive French perfume, elm tree bark and leaves
Palate: Very perfumed, sweet and fruity
Finish: Gentle with a furniture polish accent that grows to a climax and dissipates in waves; nearly a minute long

Exceptional whisky that makes me wish I had more. Not the greatest Macallan, but a rare gem that hits all the sweet spots. :thumbsup:

peergynt323
Gold Member

Re: Macallan 12yo (1990s)

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:38 pm

Good stuff! :thumbsup: if you are ever in the neighborhood, you are always welcome for a dram.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Macallan 12yo (1990s)

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Thanks Ganga! I will definitely give you a call when I am up in the LA area. Cheers!
peergynt323
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder