Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 14

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Aberlour a'bunadh

Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 14

Postby Lawrence » Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:34 am

Has anybody tried this new batch yet, Jim Murray rates it quite a bit more than other batches at 94 points. The only other batch that scored that high was batch 1 with the sterling silver label.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:06 am

I am also interested in this - I would like a way back into enjoying Aberlour.
Last edited by bamber on Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:05 pm

It is hard to find reviews on individual batches. I started with #12 and loved it. When I got #13 I didn't think it was as balanced, a little too much spice in the finish. They have gone from #14 to #15 so fast that I haven't tried either. I'm trying to buy up as many #12's as I can find. I have an unopened #11 and have seen some #6, #8, #10 at various places. I know they are supposed to be vatted to taste similar, but I've found a considerable difference and am trying to get more info, too. Anyone who's tried #12 and any others please chime in.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Not too bad

Postby corbuso » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:34 pm

I did try the batch 14 in a serial tasting a few days ago with the aberlour 10, 16 and the two Warehouse N°1 single cask expression (sherry and bourbon) and I would rate it as number 2 behind the sherry single cask Warehouse N°1.
The batch N° 14 nose was floral and very sweet with a nice sherry flavour. It was pretty smooth and not to dry with a medium sweet finished.
Compared to the Warehouse N°1 Single cask (mainly given to the guests for the 125th founder's anniversary), the batch N°14 shows less complexity and too much sweetness (pretty much like the new make).
I would guess the spirit is not much older than 8 to 10 years.

Nevertheless, it is a good value for its price and very enjoyable.

Corbuso
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:22 am

I bought a bottle yesterday and spent the better part of the evening familiarizing myself with this whisky. I can only say that it is simply stunning and did not lose it's focus even with the addition of water. Today, I traded in my batch 7 and 12 for batch 14's and bought two more. I have given strict instructions to the love of my life that if she is going to buy me a bottle of whisky for Christmas, this is the one I want. :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:03 am

Lawrence - uiteqay on the 'bunadhAay 14 ... or else the whole world will abgray all the iskywhay away!!!

:wink:

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. - Mr. T can translate (and correct) my pig latin... for all of those interested...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:14 am

I still can't get past Batch #6. What a beauty! :D

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:18 am

WestVanDave wrote:Lawrence - uiteqay on the 'bunadhAay 14 ... or else the whole world will abgray all the iskywhay away!!!

:wink:

Cheers, Dave.

P.S. - Mr. T can translate (and correct) my pig latin... for all of those interested...

I could quibble, but will say only that you obviously mean "ietquay" rather than "uiteqay". And I'm afraid the atcay is out of the agbay!
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:29 am

I figured it was safe Dave, it's just you and me reading this in BC.....
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:35 am

Lawrence wrote:I figured it was safe Dave, it's just you and me reading this in BC.....

...until January 21....
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:43 am

Right, but I'll have finished my buying program by then!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:34 am

Lawrence,
[/quote]...until January 21...[quote]
Have mercy...at least leave two bottles on the shelf... 8)
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:45 am

Lawrence wrote:I bought a bottle yesterday and spent the better part of the evening familiarizing myself with this whisky. I can only say that it is simply stunning and did not lose it's focus even with the addition of water. Today, I traded in my batch 7 and 12 for batch 14's and bought two more. I have given strict instructions to the love of my life that if she is going to buy me a bottle of whisky for Christmas, this is the one I want. :D

That's good enough for me - next on my wish list.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:22 pm

Just bought one. Only £25 from Waitrose. Think I will open this one on Xmas day :)
Last edited by bamber on Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby slojo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:43 pm

Just bought two from Waitrose, oddly enough one Batch 13 and one Batch 15. One is for me and one to give away.

Any idea which is the better of the two?
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:50 pm

I don't suppose you could vat them and end up with two #14's....
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:01 pm

Most likely the one in the middle. Anybody have any idea how many bottles are in a batch?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bamber » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:28 pm

No idea how many in a batch - I got the last 14 from my Waitrose - all the rest were 15's ....
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:32 pm

Does anybody have any new tasting notes on the batch 14?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Wendy » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:29 pm

ummmm...it is all coming back to me...

I purchased a bottle of the Aberlour a'bunadh this past week and shared a dram or two with my friend Amelia the other night. Amelia is relatively new to the whisky tasting scene which is, I think, important to note. She is not an example of someone who has been gently introduced to the more subtle expressions. She has commented that at any stage of this journey, whatever the expression the whisky may offer, it reveals the vast characteristics that keep this interest so satisfying.

I had previously tried Batch #13 at the tasting tower a couple of times, so this was my first bottle purchase.

Now about a'bunadh batch #14: I found opening the bottle had bit of a ritualistic air to it. Once the burgundy-red waxy cover was was cut through, a very handsome wooden topped cork was revealed. In my glass, the colour of the whisky was a rich, warm orangey amber, very enticing, indeed. To taste, I did not find it overly sweet, the very nature of it being CS and the spicy-citrus notes kept the sherry sweetness in check. Instead, I was very happy how clear the orange and chocolate notes were. I imagine that with time, the spicy notes will become more identifyable which I am looking forward to.

My guest and I were quite happy campers...we jokingly renamed it Aberlour a'brakadabra for how magically our dram seemed to disappear so quickly. All in good fun.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:20 am

Great notes, Wendy...I'm going to have to try this...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Re: Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 14

Postby bjorn » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:00 am

Lawrence wrote:Has anybody tried this new batch yet, Jim Murray rates it quite a bit more than other batches at 94 points. The only other batch that scored that high was batch 1 with the sterling silver label.

how does the 15 rate? that seems to be all i can find around here

thanks,
bjorn
bjorn
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:39 am

The 15 must have just been released recently so I have not read any notes on it nor have we seen it here as of yet so I've not had a chance to taste it.

I'm having a 14 as we speak, amazing stuff.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Tue Dec 06, 2005 1:26 pm

I quite enjoyed the 14 that Wendy generously poured for me and then refilled some of my sample bottles! I will return to it again soon, perhaps tonight (last night was Glen Garioch night).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Photon » Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:37 pm

Lawrence wrote:The 15 must have just been released recently so I have not read any notes on it nor have we seen it here as of yet so I've not had a chance to taste it.

Since I'm quite taken with batch 15, I'll post my tasting notes, as always - YMMV

Aberlour a'bunadh - batch 15

Color - polished amber (I almost expected to see a mosquito suspended in it)

Nose - choclate, nutmeg, then a lingering floral expression that I can't quite put my finger on.

Palate - honey, syrupy plums, singed brown sugar, vanilla

Finish - tingling (the high ABV is really present here), dark chocolate

Comment - I'm new to CS whiskys, but the high ABV seems to lurk in the backround until the finish. All in all, I liked it - a lot.

P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Tried this yesterday and was really impressed -sweet intense sherry, which complements the malt and is as clean as whistle. Really lovely.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:58 pm

I emailed the distillery and asked how many bottles are in a batch and I received this answer from Neil who is on vacation in Australia;

Dear Lawrence
Thank you for your question. I do not have precise volume figures per batch but we generally select around 80 to 100 sherry casks (mainly butts) to make up each batch. This allows individual cask selection to ensure a great final vatting and I am delighted to hear you enjoy the results.
Many thanks
Neil Macdonald
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby smokey » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 am

I recently opened my 13 and i really like it! As this was my introduction to Aberlour I was really impressed. I usually don't use water when I drink whisky, but I think for me at least, this definitly warrants it. I couldn't really taste all that was going on because I think the abv scorched my taste buds. :oops: I did however have this stupid grin on my face and just couldn't believe it. I lack the vocabulary to describe it...I thought it was "spicy" with a hint of like cherries or...hell..who am i kidding?!

I don't know what it tasted like because I had never tasted something that ...UNTAMED before. It was excellent. On the second round I added the water first and it was just lovely. I ran out and bought another 13 and when looking around at another liquor stumbled across a batch 6 bottle. Got both of them on reserve

cheers!
smokey

Postby Jan Primus » Sun May 28, 2006 10:59 pm

I have just gotten into a bottle of 14 and have to say it is great stuff. As for the LCBO selection, I think this is the best scotch for the dollar they offer.
Jan Primus

Postby Alec » Mon May 29, 2006 9:59 am

I've read so many amazing things about this whiskey I'm finally going to buy a bottle. This is a batch 16 from the distillery shop...
Alec

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon May 29, 2006 11:33 am

I can totally recomend batch 15....

Nose: Heavy Sherry notes, Sultanas and Oranges.

Palate: Very Oily, brown Sugar, Vanilla

Finish: Very smooth and a sweetness with a slight touch of Aniseed (gobstoppers)

My notes are a bit different from Photon, probably just different taste buds at work but it still is a great dram.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:08 am

A colleague of mine just sent me an email absolutely raving about Batch 16 and how good it was.

Any corroborating comments on #16 out there?

Cheers,
AD
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:28 pm

We've just received batch #15 here and I've not had a chance to try it. It seems to me that the batches are starting to become better and better.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby rthomson » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:45 pm

I bought a bottle of batch 15 a few weeks ago. It'll be a while before I try it as I want to polish off several opened bottles before starting a new one. I've only had one dram from an earlier batch, I don't recall which one, so I don't have much to compare it too. But I am excited to hear the positive reviews and look forward to when I do open it.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby lbacha » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:44 pm

I have a bottle of batch 14 open right now and would be willing to send samples to anyone who would like to try it. (send me a message) I think it is one of the better batches I have tried although I still have to open the 15 and 16. I have a bottle of the wrhs number 1 and it is great as well. (Not just because I bottled it either).

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Aberlour a'bunadh

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder