Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Smokehead

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Smokehead

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Yes, it's funny when the rumours start. I think I heard that Charles Maclean "slipped his tongue" at the Oslo Whisky Festival and revealed it's a Lagavulin. Myself I have really no idea and I think it could well be any of the Islay distilleries.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:38 pm

Funny how the German market is promoting it as Ardbeg. Funnier that Ian Macleod has told shops doing this to remove that nonsense or else they'll stop sending it to them. The inside story is that it's SMOKEHEAD, a Single Islay Malt! Meaning, it can actually be anything from the 7 available distilleries. And meaning just that! Perhaps this tapping is Ardbeg, the other is Caol Ila, another in the future may be Bruichladdich, Bunnahabhain, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Bowmore and maybe one day even the Kilchoman!! Yooohooooo! But perhaps, the Germans know something we don't?!!
Di Blasi

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:56 pm

corbuso wrote:
I only knew that it was Ardbeg, but didn't know it was a 7 YO. I haven't tried it, but would like to see how it differs from Big Smoke (a young Caol Ila).

Corbuso
--------
http://www.whisky-news.com

I've had Big Smoke 60. It's misnamed. It's quite light and sweet.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Re: Smokehead

Postby Erebus1197 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:24 pm

As a qualified wine merchant and dedicated Islay drinker, as soon as I sniffed the bottle I thought Ardbeg. There is something in the nose that just shouts Ardbeg.

So I think the Germans are right. It's the sweetness and contrastic spice that makes my mind up. And now they bottle the young whisky and call it 'Almost There', that was what I was reminded of with the bouquet.

hope this has not added more fuel ot the fire...

slainte
Erebus1197

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:30 pm

The nice thing about Smokehead is that it could very well be Ardbeg, then it could easily be something else from Islay. I too thought Smokehead was similar to the Very Young when I added water, the sweetness, milk chocolate-ness, and fruitiness. But then it could also be a heavily peated Bunnahabhain!! I think it was created to be enjoyed!
Di Blasi

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:35 pm

Di Blasi wrote:The nice thing about Smokehead is that it could very well be Ardbeg,<snip> I think it was created to be enjoyed!

You're better with ARdbeg 10 or Laphroaig QC. It just isn't punchy enough.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:26 am

Does anybody know if Ian Macleod Distilleries Ltd. do anything to the malt sourced from Ardbeg (my guess) that makes up Smokehead? I mean do they take it and just bottle it or do they age it further in different wood, etc? Kinda like what Gordon & Macphail do with some releases?
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Smokehead

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder