Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:03 pm

It's an amazing bottle, and the price helps too.
Bye
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby rifkin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:14 pm

This is a sad story. I've checked the Royal Wine And Spirit Monopoly here in Norway and about 200 botts or so of QC remains. The QC is being discountinued, and I'd kill for a few botts of this. The quantities dimishes every day that goes past.

I wish the QC was priced at 30 USD like in the States. Here it's 65 USD pr bottle. I'm caught in a bad circle :roll:
rifkin

Postby MGillespie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:59 pm

rifkin wrote:This is a sad story. I've checked the Royal Wine And Spirit Monopoly here in Norway and about 200 botts or so of QC remains. The QC is being discountinued, and I'd kill for a few botts of this. The quantities dimishes every day that goes past.

I wish the QC was priced at 30 USD like in the States. Here it's 65 USD pr bottle. I'm caught in a bad circle :roll:

I'm checking with Laphroaig's owners now on this report...by the way, QC's selling for $55-60 in the US...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby rifkin » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:03 pm

Please don't misunderstand, what I mean is that QC is being removed from the lists here in Norway. It's based on an administrative decision from the Royal Wine And Spirit Monopoly.

I don't know which plans Laphroaig has conserning the QC in other countries than Norway. But do check with FoL. I could be interesting to know if they are planning more botts.

In any respect, it's annoying to go abroad to get this bottle once it disappears from my local shelves.

Maybe it's the Laphroaig 10 OB which costs 30 USD. A bit too quick there. :wink:
rifkin

Postby MGillespie » Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:09 pm

OK...I think we can all breathe easier now, though I feel badly for you and your friends in Norway...

Laphroaig 10 goes for about $40-45 in my area...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby karlejnar » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:03 pm

Mr Ellen wrote:I have now compared the lids from my tins and there is actually a very small difference. I have a bottle with a lighter "goldish" green colour which must be the FOL bottling.

So have I, and there is actually quite a difference both in colour and the text.
The FOL tube ends (yes both ends) are sort of metallic green and the text says: "Laphroaig Quarter Cask"
The ordinary tube ends are darker and ordinary green but still different than the 10yo CS. The text just says: "Laphroaig Islay Malt"
Mr Ellen wrote:I do think they could have done it like Ardbeg did on their "Very Young" expression when they stated "For Discussion" across the label. It's really hard to notice a difference at first glimpse. (Not that it matters..I'm going to drink them all anyway :wink: )

A good idea - they could have made the FOL bottles a little more special, so we at least would have got a bit more for the higher price :roll:
And I'm going to drink mine as well :P - the FOL bottle allready long gone :D
The bottle is gone recycling and the tube is reused for another bottle (a Bladnoch Flora & Fauna, since it doesn't come with a box anymore)
karlejnar
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:47 pm

Rifkin wrote:

"I wish the QC was priced at 30 USD like in the States."

I guess it's everywhere in the U.S. except the South. :x I've been checking the Tri-State area for a while, not to be found. :( Last word was after the New Year. The Lag time to the States is bad enough. Rant over. :lol:
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:03 am

All this talk of QC being a ltd edition surprises me.It certainly isn't being priced or marketed as a ltd product in the UK and appears to have been very successful. I'd assume the owners will be busy buying up small barrels to force future Laphroaigs. Afterall I would assume most distilleries have wet dreams about finding a successful means of hastening the maturation process. I cant see it being very limited for very long.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi there,

there is hope. Fortune Brands just has announced that their newly aquired distilleries Laphroaig and Ardmore will go on a 7 days a week production. As long as they can find new oak quarter casks there is a chance that the QC is here to stay.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:21 pm

That's great news, Kallaskander, for both those distilleries! I haven't kept up with it obviously but did Fortune Brands acquire Teacher's Highland Cream as well? You'd think they must have since Ardmore mostly goes into that blend (a fair amount of Laphroaig does too).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:26 pm

Hi there,

right to, Harry.

http://www.scotchwhisky.net/news/index.php

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reference. So Fortune got Laphroaig, Ardmore and Teacher's while Pernod got Scapa, Glendronach and Ballantines... methinks Fortune got the better end of that deal!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jan » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:44 pm

kallaskander wrote: As long as they can find new oak quarter casks there is a chance that the QC is here to stay.

Actually I'm pretty sure that they have the casks made specially for this purpose, something about breaking down ex bourbon barrels and reassembling with fewer staves...

I think I read this in WM 48, but can't find that issue right now.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:28 pm

I talked with the PR manager for Beam Global (Fortune Brands' spirits division) late Wednesday, and she confirms that Quarter Cask isn't going away, as well as the seven-day production upgrade. She was surprised to hear about the Norwegian decision to drop QC, though...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:49 pm

I don't think norwegians need to worry. There's a lot left and it would be no problem whatsoever for the importer to get more if the sales are healthy - and I think they are.

I would be more worried about the Highland Park 25.........

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Ellen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:14 pm

And if you should run out of bottles you can just drop by your neighbouring country and stock up. It's widely available here at approx £30.00 (which is rather pricey I'm afraid).

Cheers

Postby Lawrence » Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:23 pm

In the WM article written by Dave Broom it was stated that the casks were specially made for the LQC experiemnt by the Speyside Cooperage.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby rifkin » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:55 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:I don't think norwegians need to worry. There's a lot left and it would be no problem whatsoever for the importer to get more if the sales are healthy - and I think they are.

I would be more worried about the Highland Park 25.........

Christian

The thing is, I hate inconveniences (don't we all?).
I've spoken to an executive at one of our Monopoly depts., and I was told QC is being discountinued. Was it 300-350 botts. or so left in our wide streched country, Christian?

The same is happening to HP 25, and this is rather weird actually. According to the sale statistics very, very few people buy these botts, but they are rather cheap (HP 25 is priced at approx 105-110 £ if my memory serves me correctly).
rifkin

Quarter cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:45 am

Mr Ellen wrote:And if you should run out of bottles you can just drop by your neighbouring country and stock up. It's widely available here at approx £30.00 (which is rather pricey I'm afraid).Cheers

Christian:
As good a reason to invade as any I can think of. :D ...for QC whisky. :P Hopefully our stocks of QC start to arrive if Norway is getting out of them. BC can get them, maybe it'll be our turn soon. Musky P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:20 pm

rifkin wrote:According to the sale statistics very, very few people buy these botts, but they are rather cheap (HP 25 is priced at approx 105-110 £ if my memory serves me correctly).

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: $350 over here...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:38 pm

Frodo, HP 25 is less than $200 in Alberta..... :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:59 pm

:x :x :x Not fair!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:11 am

I am just updating this discussion after reading an article about the QC in The 2006 Malt Whisky Yearbook:

There is some good information in the early chapters and one is written by David Stirk. He discusses "Age" and which parameters affect whisky during maturation.
There are direct references to older Macallans and also Laphroaig QC.

I have never seen any age statement regarding the QC, but here David states that the QC is 5 years old (normal cask) Laphroaig which is then finished for 7 months in the (105 litre) Quarter Cask.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:05 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:
Scotty Mc wrote:I believe it is limited but also a one that may stay for a while. Saying that, its inexpensive. Ive seen in at £26, cannot remember where but I think it was Tesco

It's available in Tesco and Oddbins for £26

Saying that, I saw it in my local Tesco for £20 :shock:
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:00 pm

I have never seen any age statement regarding the QC, but here David states that the QC is 5 years old (normal cask) Laphroaig which is then finished for 7 months in the (105 litre) Quarter Cask.

You could read the article in Issue 42 where Robert Hick talks about the age of the whisky and the time spent in both casks. If you don't have Issue 42 I'll be happy to dig it out and find out what he said although I have a sneaking suspision that it's already in the previous pages of this thread.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Hi Lawrence,
no I didn't see issue 42 and I just looked at the online version here, but the full article is not available. Only an intro which doesn't go as far as the age discussion.

I did read the full discussion again before posting, but there were no definite references to the actual age of QC, although a lot of people were asking earlier in the discussion. That's why I posted after reading the article in the 2006 Yearbook.

Regards,
WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:58 pm

I'll dig it out and look for age references. I remember them in there.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Ellen » Mon May 01, 2006 9:05 pm

This is what Dave Broom says in the article:

"We go upstars and taste a five year old Laphroaig, the vatting prior to being out in quarters, then the finished product after seven months in the miniature casks..."

From Whisky Magazine Issue 42, page 14 "Quarter Masters"

Cheers

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 01, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks Mr. Ellen.
That confirms what I read in the Yearbook.

5 Years normal casks then 7 months in QCs.
Deactivated Member

Postby Richiyaado » Tue May 02, 2006 1:16 am

I went to our little spirits store here intending to pick up a Laphroaig 10yo, but they had just received a few bottles of the QC and were featuring it at a (slightly) reduced price. Having read through this thread, I couldn't resist! A bit more medieval on my senses than the 15 yo, but all the more enjoyable for that. :)
Richiyaado

Postby Lawrence » Tue May 02, 2006 3:00 am

WH, sorry for not digging out the info, glad it's been found.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby DramMeister » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:15 pm

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I finally got round to opening mine.
I thought it was somewhere between the OB 10 and OB 15, in that it had some of the 10's punch but some of the sweetness and subtilty of the 15.
DramMeister
Silver Member

Postby childo » Wed Jun 28, 2006 2:59 am

Man, I am TOTALLY digging this QC. It was on sale for $40 at the local store and I figured, "Hey I really like the Laphroaig 10, so why not."

But this QC is a stunner. I've only been into whisky for about 2 years, and this is the first time that I've wanted to go out and buy a couple of back up bottles. (Though this Caol Ila Signatory 18 UCF is making me wish I'd picked up another when I had the chance!).

This one is special.
childo

Postby Lawrence » Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:47 pm

childo wrote:this is the first time that I've wanted to go out and buy a couple of back up bottles.

That's what I did too!
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:23 pm

childo wrote:Man, I am TOTALLY digging this QC. It was on sale for $40 at the local store and I figured, "Hey I really like the Laphroaig 10, so why not."

But this QC is a stunner. I've only been into whisky for about 2 years, and this is the first time that I've wanted to go out and buy a couple of back up bottles. (Though this Caol Ila Signatory 18 UCF is making me wish I'd picked up another when I had the chance!).

This one is special.

Go back quick and grab a few more bottle for that price... this stuff is wonderful.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Related whiskies : Laphroaig Quarter Cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder