Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:11 am

I think I want to try the Dalwhinnie 15 year old. Jim Murray scores it very high (95) and it is not very expensive. On the other hand Michael Jackson scores it very low (76). I am interested in your thoughts if you have tried it.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:35 am

In my opinion this is a very good whisky and surely an underrated one if you appreciate more subtle whiskies. When I first opened it I found it to be "nice and fruity as in ripe summer fruit and dark berries, with tones of sweet cereals and honey. It also has a touch of almonds from the oak which makes it one of the most balanced whiskies I've tried. The Dalwhinnie is such a satisfying whisky and I could drink it all night! " Sort of a Bruichladdich 10 with added character from sherry casks.

Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:02 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:In my opinion this is a very good whisky and surely an underrated one if you appreciate more subtle whiskies.

Christian

Agreed. It's one of my "default" choices together with Talisker 10 for malts to get if I run out of stuff in my booze closet. Silky dram with enough personality to raise eyebrows. If I have a critisism, it is that the flavours in the Dalwinnie 15 are not more expressive to rate as a "top drawer" malt. But very few OB's are IMHO.

Great value IMO!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:09 am

Yes, I quite like it and I agree with the others, it's under rated, perhaps by over exposure and being a little more 'gentle'. In my experience many malt newbies dismiss a malt if it's not aggressive tasting like Argbeg. In any case I always enjoy Dalwhinnie and recommend it heartily.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:42 am

You guys have convinced me. I am getting a bottle tomorrow.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:02 am

I can't see you being disapointed unles you only like aggressive whiskies.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Virginia Gentleman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:08 am

Frodo wrote:I can't see you being disapointed unles you only like aggressive whiskies.

I like all types of whisky so I think I will be happy with this.
Virginia Gentleman
Silver Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:25 pm

My bottle of Dalwhinnie didn't "seem" 15yo when first opened, but as I worked through it, it got quite a bit sweeter and rounded out nicely.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:12 pm

I have to agree with the above and say that Dalwhinnie 15 is one of my standard fall-backs, especially in Duty Free.
When I can't decide what I fancy, I know Dalwhinnie will be good.

WH
Deactivated Member

Postby Scotty Mc » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm in two minds about it. My current bottling was like firewater when opened, really bad but it is slowly starting to mellow. It was like giving myself heartburn, only pouring the acid down my throat.

Now it seems to be fine, I'm hoping it was a one-off
Scotty Mc
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:17 pm

Must have been a duff bottle. I've had a lot of this stuff, and none of it has approached firewater status...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Ya, I Dalwhinnie has never bitten me either. Being a lover of Irish Whiskey I feel this is an easy graduation to Scotch Single Malts. Nothing but praise for this Highlander.
irishwhiskeychaser

Re: Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:33 pm

Virginia Gentleman wrote:I think I want to try the Dalwhinnie 15 year old. Jim Murray scores it very high (95) and it is not very expensive. On the other hand Michael Jackson scores it very low (76). I am interested in your thoughts if you have tried it.

this was one of the very first whiskies that i drank on a regular basis. this was about ten years ago, and i liked it. but it has prbably changed a bit since then, or at least i cant say i recall it or was even qualified to give an opinion on it!! but whenevr anyone says "i want to try this" my view is then try it!!! despite some retching i tried a bottle of Tormore and it was about average to me and not nearly as bad as i expected based on input.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Dalwhinnie

Postby Bob & Jill » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:17 am

We picked up some Dalwhinnie 15 at Trader Joes at a price we couldn’t resist during our recent travels to CA & Baja. We were very pleasantly surprised at how nice a malt this one was. As others said---fruity with honey. It’s gentleness is a nice contrast to the aggressive whiskies like the peated Islays---which we also like. It made up for the disappointment in the Clynelish 14 we just tried.

Even got to recognize that a good Tequila (brought by our friend) is not really too bad when our Scotch flasks finally ran dry as we paddled 70 miles around a remote Baja island.
Jill

Bob & Jill,
Colorado
Bob & Jill

Postby corbuso » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:25 pm

I don't rate it as high as Jim Murray, but as metioned in this forum, it is a very good value whisky.
The best combination is to serve the Dalwhinnie ice cold with a chocolate dessert.

Corbuso
-------------
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:05 pm

corbuso wrote:
The best combination is to serve the Dalwhinnie ice cold with a chocolate dessert.

Try it at normal sipping temperature with chocolate ice cream. Special - very special 8)

I always have a bottle in store. A really light, fruity dram enjoyed outdoors on warm evenings with the headyscent of meadow flowers calling last orders for the myriad busy buzzing creatures who have popped in for a quick drink after work. (Deep sigh)

:roll: ENOUGH of this and back to normal - I experienced a bit of a burn as Scotty mentioned above when I first tried it too. I think like many whiskies, it gets better having been opened for a few weeks :D
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:20 am

I was very slow to appreciate what great whisky Dalwhinnie is. I always found it tasty but a bit drab. Of course, the problem wasn't so much the whisky as the fact that I was always drinking it along with Talisker, Laphroig, and Highland Park, whiskies that, once on the palate, didn't allow me to appreciate the subtleties of Dalwhinnie. When I drink it on its own these days, the layers just peel away dance on my tongue. It's a first-class dram all the way, in my books.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Scotchio » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:33 am

I wasnt too impressed last time I had this. Startsout delicate honey then this surprising surge of peat rolls down the middle. Didn't think it hung together right but I guess I should try a small bottle again.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby CCRoy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:00 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:how would you guys and gals compare this to balblair 16?

I'm looking for a non-aggressive, very silky and smooth scotch for my brother who loves dalwhinnie because its smooth (he doesn't like a bite or a hot finish).

I have had a dram of Balblair 16 at a dinner party, if memory serves me, and I can't recall a thing about it. Don't take that as a critique, though - it was a while ago, before I got more serious about my whisky drinking.

You may wish to try either Glenlivet 15 or Aberfeldy 12. Neither of these get superior ratings from pro whisky tasters, I suspect because they're a little less "muscular" than what you typically think of whisky. But if you're looking for something with less "bite" than Dalwhinnie these would be what I would recommend. Both are Highland malts.

The Glenlivet 15 is kinda butterscotchy/vanilla-y with only a faint hint of spiciness, with a nice overall whisky-esque nose that isn't too heavy and a smooth finish, especially once the bottle's been opened and allowed to mellow. I foudn it's an especially nice malt to serve before a meal, because it's tasty enough to stimulate the palate, but light enough that it won't clash with the food later. This ought to cost you about the same as Dalwhinnie.

Aberfeldy 10, the single malt from Dewar's, I personally liked but I realize to many "serious" whisky drinkers it might qualify as pretty lightweight One of the professional tasting posted on this website describes it as "almost too playful to take seriously" - I wouldn't take that too seriously. It's a very light and subtle malt for sure, and certianly can be enjoyed by the right palate. It's very smooth, lightly fruity with some hint of smokiness and peatiness, and quite "heathery" so you don't forget you're drinking a Scottish whisky. I found this made a very nice nightcap whisky. This one should cost you a little less than Dlawhinnie. I got my bottle for $27, on a discount.

I take it you and your brother are American, and I understand Americans, generally speaking, have a rather different palate for whisky. I would consider Dalwhinnie a pretty American-friendly malt, and that's partly why it's been so well campaigned over here. The Glenlivet is also very popular among Americans (and has had some help via The Sopranos TV show in gaining further popularity). The Aberfeldy is a bit less well known, but I have yet found an American who has tried it and wouldn't give it some positive comments.
CCRoy

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:40 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote: I personally don't find the dalwhinnie exciting enough.

Perhaps you're missing the whole point of Dalwhinnie?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re:

Postby lancj1 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:29 am

Scotty Mc wrote:I'm in two minds about it. My current bottling was like firewater when opened, really bad but it is slowly starting to mellow. It was like giving myself heartburn, only pouring the acid down my throat.

Now it seems to be fine, I'm hoping it was a one-off

Got my first ever DW 15 last month, and had precisely your experience. My first couple of glasses were, as I said to my wife, horrible ! Just burnt the lining from my mouth !! ..... however, some sampling in the lead up to xmas sees a more subtle whisky. Not sure how that occurred, maybe its my palate
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:20 am

It's quite some time, in fact a good few years, since I last tried Dalwhinnie, but I do remember it as a pleasant, inoffensive dram.
As I have some within reach, I shall re-visit it in the next 2-3 days and report back.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:43 pm

Dalwhinnie is a lovely dram, often misunderstood because it is so easy to drink. But spend a little time with it and you'll find hidden depths. If you regard it as cheap in your locality then have a go. Don't expect it to blow your socks off; it won't. It is subtle. I don't really agree with either JM or MJ on this and I don't really like scoring. But if pressed, then personally I would think it is somewhere in the middle possibly closer to JM; maybe 88-ish.

lawschooldrunk wrote:anyone else with notes on the balblair 16?

Don't have notes on the Balblair 16 LSD, but my recollection of it is that your brother is likely to find it very nice indeed. No violence or surprises there.
Willie JJ

Postby CCRoy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:52 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Dalwhinnie is a lovely dram, often misunderstood because it is so easy to drink. But spend a little time with it and you'll find hidden depths. If you regard it as cheap in your locality then have a go. Don't expect it to blow your socks off; it won't. It is subtle. I don't really agree with either JM or MJ on this and I don't really like scoring. But if pressed, then personally I would think it is somewhere in the middle possibly closer to JM; maybe 88-ish.

I agree with you on this. If I had to score it, it would be 85-90, but then again, what does scores really mean? It says more of the taster's mood at the time than it does of the whisky, meoftenthinks.

It is a subtle and very nonaggressive malt. There's a time and place for every good malt, I say, and you have to be in teh proper mindset to appreciate it. I've never had a dram that was "firewater" as one poster mentioned. Being in the US, Dalwhinnie is a contender on the market because it can compete taste-wise with finer bourbons and Tennessee whiskies (and cost isn't as intimidating as with some malts). It is neither too sweet nor too dry, yet it oftens has citrus notes that Americans like. I read somewhere that Dalwhinnie is the top selling (or was) Scotch single malt in the US. I do know a few Canadians and northern Americans who are devoted to Dalwhinnie, although it doesn't seem as popular here in Texas. Read whatever you wish into that.

Myself, I like Crag over Dalwhinnie when it comes to an inexpensive mellow malt. Crag tends to be more vanilla-ish, yet drier than many younger vallina-y malts, and I prefer that over Dalwhinnie's tendency towards citrus notes.
CCRoy

Postby Toronto_Andrew73 » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:04 pm

A classic example of Jacksons bias for stronger malts. Dalwhinnie is an outstanding Highland. Very light though, heathery, almost like a lowland.
Toronto_Andrew73

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:42 pm

Any SMSW as smooth, drinkable and with a character that is consistantly recognizable as Dalwhinnie deserves a score of at least 90 IMHO. Understated in my view, but not underappreciated by any means.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby jazz lover » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:04 pm

Dalwhinnie was one of my starter
scotches years ago and I found it
outstanding.
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:47 pm

"Starter scotch" is a good way of describing Dalwhinnie. A lot of people start with it and then progress to more robust SMS. This was true of myself.

jazz lover wrote:Dalwhinnie was one of my starter
scotches years ago and I found it
outstanding.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Joe Banks » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 am

Novice Scotch Fan wrote:"Starter scotch" is a good way of describing Dalwhinnie. A lot of people start with it and then progress to more robust SMS. This was true of myself.

Personally I think Dalwhinnie is not a good starter scotch. For me at least, it was one I tried early and didn't like. Too boring I thought. Once I expanded my whisky horizons and developed a bit of a palate, I changed my mind and quite enjoy it. I think its a terrific and complex Highland, though the flavors are more subtle than some. Anyway, thats my two cents
Joe Banks

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:08 pm

Welcome Joe!

I agree that Dalwhinnie is subtler than many, but has lots to offer and never disappoints, even though it isn't one of my "frontline" malts.

Funny how one can not appreciate a malt early on, then once initiiated into the "heavier" styles, come to appreciate it later. My old dad, well into his eighties(90 next year!) was having trouble getting into a bottle of Dalwhinnie, and called me from his home in Switzerland to ask my opinion/advice.

I suggested he had a small dram of Laphroaig fisrt, then try the Dalwhinnie.

He called back two days later entranced with the Dalwhinnie! :thumbsup:

"You're a genius!" he said...(Well, I knew that already, he said modestly!)

Anyway Joe, keep posting. Always good to have new input, and meet new "cyberfaces".
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby warlock » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi all:

I totaly enjoy this whisky and use it as my regular dram.
warlock

Postby Gerryson » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:22 am

Just picked up a bottle and am now looking very forward to cracking it open and having a couple drams!
Gerryson

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:20 am

Welcome to the forum Gerryson, hope you enjoy Dalwhinnie 15.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Can anyone tell me if there is any sherry cask matured whisky vatted in Dalwhinnie?
I've only had one bottle, over a year ago, and I recall picking up subtle flavours that made me think there was but all the literature I've read suggests it contains only ex-bourbon matured spirit.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Collector57 wrote:The Distillers Edition certainly uses Oloroso casks...

And it's a tasty pour as well! I find the Sherry wood element in this one tends (both texturally and flavour-wise) to play off and highlight what underlying smokiness there is in the whisky.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Related whiskies : Dalwhinnie 15 Years Old

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder