Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and Food combinations

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Whisky and Food combinations

Postby Lawrence » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:03 pm

Musky, were these the bunnies?

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Yes! They used to be identical twins but now they're whisky fodder.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:03 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:Please experiment with chilli chocolate too !!!
You will find it works rather well with some of the richer malts.

I found the 'chilli chocolate' in Sainsbury's in the UK. Own label 'Taste the difference' range. Mexican dark 66% cocoa with premium dried chilli. Says the label

Think i will wait for the right mood for this, any suggestions what it will go with.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:14 am

And today on the way back from fishing Loch Awe, i got from the Loch Fyne shop (where they sell fish and stuff and not LFW). Smoked Carpaccio, it's beef cured then smoked over infused whisky chips, will report back when i get to taste it with some malts.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Re:

Postby WaterRabbit » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:30 am

Bulkington wrote:Question:

What might you all pair specifically with Lagavulin? I know there have been a lot of broad Islays-are-great-with-seafood comments, but I see Lagavulin as something of an exception. I would love to try Ardbeg with salmon, esp. salmon sushi, and I imagine Laphroaig and Caol Isla going well with oysters, but can't imagine Lagavulin with either of these. Wouldn't it be overpowering rather than complimentary? The same goes with dessert pairings. Some scotches are best left solo maybe?

Mr Ellen wrote:This may sound a bit strange but Lagavulin and a good chunk of Roquefort cheese is a truly outstanding combination.

I agree with Mr Ellen about pairing Lagavulin with Roquefort. I prefer Le Vieux Berger among other kinds.

Another thing I like to pair with Lagavulin is original beef jerky.
WaterRabbit

Re: Re:

Postby OKDiver1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:18 am

WaterRabbit wrote:I agree with Mr Ellen about pairing Lagavulin with Roquefort. I prefer Le Vieux Berger among other kinds.
Another thing I like to pair with Lagavulin is original beef jerky.

If you are into blue cheese and Lag, I suggest you try Fourme d'Ambert, also from France, but a little creamier (cow's milk, not sheep's), and not as acidic as Roquefort can be. If you have a Whole Foods in your neck of the woods, they will have it. Central Market does too.
Another experiment that I enjoyed with the Lag 16 was an aged Parmesan. Very different from the Roquefort pairing, but works very well too.
I will definitely try the beef jerky -- sounds interesting.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:01 am

Golden raisins, Sultanas, soaked in Famous Grouse 12y blended malt, yum. Serve them with cheese plates, use them in plain yogurt, or in a million other ways, in salads, pasta, whatever, over ice cream!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:12 am

Jimmy321 wrote:
Malt-Teaser wrote:Please experiment with chilli chocolate too !!!
You will find it works rather well with some of the richer malts.

I found the 'chilli chocolate' in Sainsbury's in the UK. Own label 'Taste the difference' range. Mexican dark 66% cocoa with premium dried chilli. Says the label

Think i will wait for the right mood for this, any suggestions what it will go with.

Jimmy try it with Talisker. Or a sherried Malt. I like to let the chocolate melt on my tongue and then sip the whisky over the top. Fab man. :)
les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:24 am

I posted elsewhere at my disappointment with my recent purchase of Aultmore 12y, it left me short and looking for something else in the flavours.

Well, I have found the answer :)
Ritter Sport "Alpenmilch"
This is milk chocolate from Alpine herds - the wrapper colour is light blue but I don't know if this one is available outside of Germany?

Anyway, eat the chocolate then drink some Aultmore.
Not at the same time, but drink the Aultmore without clearing your palate from the chocolate.
Excellent!!!

I also tried it with a darker choclate, but it wasn't quite as good.
Deactivated Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:21 am

Don't eat and drink scotch. You wanna' eat and drink - pour yourself a glass of wine - when you're done - pull out the scotch.
Here's some more advice - don't drink paint thinner either while you eat. :shock:
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:09 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:Don't eat and drink scotch. You wanna' eat and drink - pour yourself a glass of wine - when you're done - pull out the scotch.
Here's some more advice - don't drink paint thinner either while you eat. :shock:

Have you tried whisky with food before??
Di Blasi

Postby OKDiver1 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:11 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
JohnyyGuitar wrote:Don't eat and drink scotch. You wanna' eat and drink - pour yourself a glass of wine - when you're done - pull out the scotch.

Probably just paint thinner.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:00 pm

what do you think ? :)

Mostly I just chew on bricks and dirt while I drink whiskey. And sniff old laundry.

Do yourself a favor don't eat when you drink scotch or drink when you eat. In case you haven't noticed hard liquor straight has a numbing effect on your pallet - not to mention you brain - well if it's a normal brain anyway.....
Seriously though, you can do anything you want, stand on your head and spit wooden nickels while you drink scotch..........but I prefer to wait until the meal is done to enjoy my scotch.
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:36 pm

You're missing out Johnny .... ok I wouldn't have a whisky with my sausage and mash, but there are some great combinations to try. Open your mind as well as the bottle :P

Heres another one that seemed to work at the time - Laphroaig 10 and green olives.
Matt2

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:15 pm

Matt wrote:
You're missing out Johnny .... ok I wouldn't have a whisky with my sausage and mash, but there are some great combinations to try. Open your mind as well as the bottle

Heres another one that seemed to work at the time - Laphroaig 10 and green olives.

with all due respect my fine feathered friend - but I have tried it, and my open mind lead me to the obvious conclusion - don't eat while you drink scotch..
In fact I can't for the life of me understand why anyone who is trying to sniff out and taste all those esotric flavors would pollute their pallet and cloud their senses with some other trivial substance - perhaps you'd care to sniff perfume to while you consume your scotch, do you think that will help you smell your dram any better ?
Now then, you would think that me - lowly old JWR drinking me, me devoid of any class or taste would be the first to say......stuff your face while drinking you drink. And the snobs on here would be saying.....don't eat a damn thing less you ruin the experience.............but funny just the opposite seems to be true....hum go figure.

Anyway, hopefully there is enough time left in your life, such as it is, that you will come to your senses and the proper conclusion, done before departing god's little good green earth, and stop eating while you pertake of one of our makers finest pleasures......scotch. It deserves your full respect and attention to be enjoyed the way it was ment to be enjoyed - alone by itself, like a fine women it deserves all of your devoted attention to get the utmost pleasure. Let me ask " do you watch TV while making love ?" - then don't eat while you drink scotch. It's about that simple :D
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:37 pm

Why not enjoy whisky in every possible way, experiment with it a bit, stretch your horizons. Sure, I agree, the first time you nose and enjoy a new whisky, leave everything out of its way, but then after you've discovered it a bit, why not enjoy it in other ways, with food?
Too each his or her own is the best solution here perhaps.
Di Blasi

Postby OKDiver1 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:12 pm

C57,
They also have a marzipan-filled one, in the red wrapper. Not as good as the Niederegger from Luebeck, Germany, but still great. This is dark chocolate, and it is excellent with a Balvenie DW or a HP 12. Same thing: drink it while the chocolate is still melting in your mouth.
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Gov » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:54 am

Trader Joes has a very good dark chocolate that is about 75% cocoa. I love the stuff. Yes, Johnny its rather nice with a DRAM :lol:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:11 am

C57, yes Lindt and Suchard are better quality, but Ritter is cheap and easy to get hold of when I just want a quick choccy fix. The other night I just happened to try the Aultmore after having a bit of the Ritter Alpenmilch, hence my comments.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:55 am

C57, chocolate with whisky seems to be getting much more popular. I have been to a couple of whisky festivals over the last year where chocolate was being given out with the sample drams. Much thought had been put into the chocolate selection and it always "worked".

Experiment with the more esoteric ones, chilli chocolate comes to mind as a partner to some of the darker, heavily sherried malts.
Those Christmas cake, dark fruit flavours with chilli chocolate can be quite a combination.
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby Matt2 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:do you watch TV while making love?

:oops: Sometimes..... life's too short to miss anything so you've got to try and squeeze it all in at the same time. :iwbrnt:
Matt2

Postby martin grant » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Matt Page wrote:
JohnyyGuitar wrote:do you watch TV while making love?

:oops: Sometimes..... life's too short to miss anything so you've got to try and squeeze it all in at the same time. :iwbrnt:

LOL! That's hilarious Matt.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:09 pm

Are you joking? I can't tell. Your'e alway telling us that you're only joking but this time I think you're serious mainly for the lack of Mr. :P which is how you usually tell us you're joking.

In this case you are 100% wrong. You can eat a meal and have a scotch just as you can eat a meal and have wine. or vodka as they do in some countries. The list of alcohol and food having a history together are endless.

I organize scotch dinners every month and they are always sold out.

You're wrong.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Bulkington » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:46 pm

"with all due respect my fine feathered friend - but I have tried it, and my open mind lead me to the obvious conclusion - don't eat while you drink scotch."

So your open mind led you to close it right back up again? Don't drink while blogging is more like it.

You know people find all sorts of "esoteric" flavors in wine, too, right? Why would wine drinkers want to pollute their palates with.... Wait! Why would I pollute my meat with potatoes? or my potatoes with meat? etc., etc. (I could get more "esoteric," but why raise things above your level?)

Fore shame, Johnnnnny, no JWR reference?
Bulkington
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:57 am

You don't have to do anything anyone says, least of all me, do whatever your little heart desires, eat your old short while you drink you scotch, for all I care. :shock:

Personally I can beleive that after all that talking on here about tasting this and tasting that, and all the subtulites, and the like....that you all would even think about eating while you drink. You sound like a bunch of amateurs. Eating chocolate and scotch - sounds like a bunch of old ladies, is that what I'm talking to around here ? But I guess it kind of makes sense - afterall you all seem to be bending over backwards to taste cookie dough and everything else.
I don't know about you but I want my scotch to taste like scotch, not berries, not fruit, not cookie batter, not floral herbs, or any other such feminine character.
Aren't there any men left anymore that want their scotch to taste like scotch ? And don't want to eat candy with it ?
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby OKDiver1 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:24 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:You don't have to do anything anyone says, least of all me, do whatever your little heart desires, eat your old short while you drink you scotch, for all I care. :shock:

If you do not care, why do you keep posting the same thing(s) over and over? You open your post by saying how little you care, and then you feel obligated to repeat the same old stuff again, ad nauseam, ie. what a bunch of fools we are, in total contradiction.

Is Johnyy Guitar all about Rock'n Troll?
OKDiver1
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:11 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:You don't have to do anything anyone says, least of all me, do whatever your little heart desires, eat your old short while you drink you scotch, for all I care. :shock:

Personally I can beleive that after all that talking on here about tasting this and tasting that, and all the subtulites, and the like....that you all would even think about eating while you drink. You sound like a bunch of amateurs. Eating chocolate and scotch - sounds like a bunch of old ladies, is that what I'm talking to around here ? But I guess it kind of makes sense - afterall you all seem to be bending over backwards to taste cookie dough and everything else.
I don't know about you but I want my scotch to taste like scotch, not berries, not fruit, not cookie batter, not floral herbs, or any other such feminine character.
Aren't there any men left anymore that want their scotch to taste like scotch ? And don't want to eat candy with it ?

It's a shame that you can't enjoy life to it's fullest all for the sake of being a man JG. Lol! What BS!

Just an observation Johnyy,
You're very imaginative in your unimaginativeness and the king of mediocre. Keep up the good work!

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:02 am

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement guys, it let's me know that I'm at least on the right track in life.

To be deviant to mediocrity and not think as the herd is as always the highest form of flattery - so thank you guys again.

But aside from that - you guys keep saying the same thing about me - so I keep saying the same thing about you - no harm done.

Back to the subject at hand - I DID TRY EATING FOOD WITH SCOTCH - so stop saying, I'm missing something or have to open my mind (now you are repeating yourself), I left my mind open to trying it, which I did and came to an open minded decision - it goes together like piss and feathers. Which is why some people probably enjoy it - And that is not to say that there is anything wrong with piss and feathers, to each his own. It's just not my cup of tea - er ah dram of scotch. It's just that I prefer to have my chocolate cookies with milk, or tea and with the company of old ladies who seem to perfer that sort of think...When it comes to scotch, I drink it with men, real men, and if we eat anything at all with it, it's usually a locomotive or a raw child or two, depending on the mood and how many villiages we plundered that afternoon :P
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:56 pm

Do you think Johnnyyyy eats Yorkie bar and spinach? I bet he looks like Desperate Dan from the Dandy. A real man.
les taylor

Postby Leither » Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:42 pm

les taylor wrote:Do you think Johnnyyyy eats Yorkie bar and spinach? I bet he looks like Desperate Dan from the Dandy. A real man.

Nah, I think he'll look more like this.......

Here's Johhnnnnyyy........

Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:21 pm

Leither I think you've got it. That look of mania in the eyes is definetly right. Perhaps all that's missing is some dribble on the chin. :)
les taylor

Postby Lawrence » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:02 pm

Johnny is like a car wreck, you just can't help but look.

:D

But he really surprised me with linking being 'a man' and drinking scotch.

What utter crap. Next he'll be telling us that you shouldn't add water to you whisky.

:wink:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby sampaiocaleia » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:09 pm

Try the "Toledo rabbit" (my mother does it like no one!), with Ardbeg 10 years old, and after a piece of "guayabada", a Nat sherman cigaretelo!.
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:06 am

But he really surprised me with linking being 'a man' and drinking scotch.

What utter crap. Next he'll be telling us that you shouldn't add water to you whisky.

Hey I'm not the one eating choclate chip cookies with my scotch, or wanting to smell rose pedals in it. You guys need to get out more and slay some dragons, and stop getting your back waxed.

And yup - no water, even the CS - drink it like a man :P

Maybe you 'men' should start a new thread "What type of lingerie do you wear while drinking scotch"
:P
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:32 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote: Maybe you 'men' should start a new thread "What type of lingerie do you wear while drinking scotch" :P

OK JG, you finally made me laugh out loud.
Lawrence
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder