Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and Food combinations

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Whisky and Food combinations

Postby Gov » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:33 pm

WhiskyViking wrote:Had Yamazakai 12yo together with taco a couple of weeks back - splendid match. The fruity and lemony charachter of the malt really match the heavily spiced food.

Who says mexican beer and tequila only go with a taco :lol:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:49 pm

I fairly frequently pair American straight rye with food. For example, I chased my traditional Thanksgiving turkey with traditional American straight whiskey: in this case, Willett (#1, bottled for Doug Philips) 22yo, barrel-proof rye. It also pairs wonderfully with dark chocolate -- even alongside a fine Port.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:54 pm

Klas wrote:...I actually poured some whisky into the marinade and let it the entrecotes soak for a few hours before putting them onto the grill. It tasted really good...

This is my standard practice with marinading steak. You might as well say I add things to whiskey to make the marinade: the whiskey is the major portion.
I've even been known to use Stagg in marinade for finer cuts. Been taught to always use ingredients equal to the task, you know.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:28 am

I used some of the Balvenie 17 Sherry Oak in a grilled version of bananas foster. Once the sauce reduces a little the sherry REALLY comes out and it complements everything well.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby The Scotch Chix » Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:59 am

Does anybody else use whisky to caramelize onions?

CA Scotch Chick
http://www.scotchchix.com
The Scotch Chix

Postby Gov » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:17 am

The Scotch Chix wrote:Does anybody else use whisky to caramelize onions?

CA Scotch Chick
http://www.scotchchix.com

That sounds very good! I may try it with the Drumguish I pick up if its bad.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:30 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:
IainB wrote:
You've just reminded me of another good combination. Bucket loads of Tyrconnell with IWC cut sandwiches and IWC prepared chicken wings. And cheese things on sticks. Magic!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think the dog got a fair share of the sandwiches though.

As I kept dropping them :roll:

Now I'm worried. The guy who made the sandwiches was secretly feeding his to the dog!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Klas » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:26 pm

oldrip57 wrote:You might as well say I add things to whiskey to make the marinade: the whiskey is the major portion.

:D :D :D
Klas
Silver Member

Postby hilliamash » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:18 am

I like the idea of using whisky for this too--I have a sample bottle of Dewar's that I could use for this! Yum!
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:10 pm

hilliamash wrote:I like the idea of using whisky for this too--I have a sample bottle of Dewar's that I could use for this! Yum!

Whisky for marinade is always a good option!

Last night I was having a BenRiach 12, and wanted a snack. So I made up chips and queso. On the surface, a mixture of chips, queso, and BenRiach may not sound appealing, but it really brought out the sweetness of the BenRiach - made it come across a little stronger.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby oldrip57 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:20 am

...Oh, and any recipe that calls for vanilla will accept bourbon in equivalent quantity as a substitute. (People say they like my peanut brittle :thumbsup:!)
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:25 am

oldrip57 wrote:...Oh, and any recipe that calls for vanilla will accept bourbon in equivalent quantity as a substitute. (People say they like my peanut brittle :thumbsup:!)

:iwbrnt:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:03 pm

A quick bump for Moyboy
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Friday, I grilled up some sirloins. I had a glass of the SMWS 33.66, Ardbeg 9 yo. Amazing what high alcohol will do with the seasonings on a steak. All the spices are brought forward with great intensity. Then underlying all the spices is that rich earthiness of the Islay whisky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:41 am

Tonight I cooked up some "home fries" with Lawrey's salt and seasoned pepper. Then some large scallops. All served with Bowmore 12. Scallops were dipped in butter.

Interesting thing was that the smokiness of the Bow really diminished highlighting the lavander. I found it a very interesting experience. Not quite as good as a Laphroaig though.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:40 pm

Ganga wrote:Tonight I cooked up some "home fries" with Lawrey's salt and seasoned pepper. Then some large scallops. All served with Bowmore 12. Scallops were dipped in butter.

Interesting thing was that the smokiness of the Bow really diminished highlighting the lavander. I found it a very interesting experience. Not quite as good as a Laphroaig though.

Sounds like a nice plate of California fish and chips there Ganga, bet it was good, especially with the Bowmore. :thumbsup:
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:53 am

Since it's 1920 hrs here, Cafe Herman opens in what... 10 hours?

The latest whisky & food combo I've tried was an earlier touted chocolate and whisky. I found that I prefer the dark rich chocolate with whisky over the sweeter milk chocolate.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:04 am

Not a whisky & food combination in my original sense, but the other day I quickly rushed up some stir-fried duck breast and vegetables IN a dram of JW Green.

Very nice!
Deactivated Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:34 am

I CAN'T beleive you guys are still talking about this "Whisky & Food Combinations" thing, have you no sense of taste.

Food and whisky go together like farts and flowers, Bush and Puton, like ice cream and pickles.....There is one simple reason why, which I don't really expect most people to understand, but, high alcohol content spirits have a numbing effect on the taste buds, it's that simple. If I've learned one thing in life it's - don't numb you taste buds before a meal, never mind during it. Want proof - trying having a dram of scotch before wine tasting....it's taste like water,I know - water has no taste, that's my point.

There is only one thing that goes with whiskey, and that's another whiskey. Have it after dinner.

But what you do with your life, such as it is, is your business, and I'll end in paraphrasing and old saying - "no one ever went broke under estimating the bad taste of the American public", I'd modify that to include all the public....cheers... :P
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:56 am

My farts smell like flowers :lol:
So........they can go together after all 8)
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Novice Scotch Fan » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:50 am

Occasionally, I will have milk chocolate with certain scotches like Dalwhinnie and Johnnie Walker Gold. They compliment each other well.
Novice Scotch Fan
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:47 pm

JohnyyGuitar wrote:I CAN'T beleive you guys are still talking about this "Whisky & Food Combinations" thing, have you no sense of taste.

Food and whisky go together like farts and flowers, Bush and Puton, like ice cream and pickles.....There is one simple reason why, which I don't really expect most people to understand, but, high alcohol content spirits have a numbing effect on the taste buds, it's that simple. If I've learned one thing in life it's - don't numb you taste buds before a meal, never mind during it. Want proof - trying having a dram of scotch before wine tasting....it's taste like water,I know - water has no taste, that's my point.

There is only one thing that goes with whiskey, and that's another whiskey. Have it after dinner.

But what you do with your life, such as it is, is your business, and I'll end in paraphrasing and old saying - "no one ever went broke under estimating the bad taste of the American public", I'd modify that to include all the public....cheers... :P

More meaningless drivel from the man that can't tell what his whisky tastes like. :insane:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby hilliamash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:23 pm

I've found that a nice bit of intense Dark Chocolate goes well with either JW Green or even the peatier Islays.
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 am

Whisky and food; it works. Who cares if your palate is not 100%? It's just a meal.

It's not a scientific experiement for pities sake.

:roll:

......and besides if it's a really good restaurant you have the bonus of totally bumming out the wine steward/sommelier by only ordering whisky (in a wine glass). That alone makes it a worth while activity.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:10 pm

Lawrence wrote:......and besides if it's a really good restaurant you have the bonus of totally bumming out the wine steward/sommelier by only ordering whisky (in a wine glass). That alone makes it a worth while activity.

:lol: :lol:

You forgot to mention that you were only using the wine glass because they didn't stock decent glassware.

"What, you wanted something other than a tumbler?" :shock:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Both these came from distillery staff.

"Ardbeg" with a chunk of parmesan cheese. "Balvenie" with Terry's Choccie Orange.
Deactivated Member

Postby JohnyyGuitar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:05 am

"Ardbeg" with a chunk of parmesan cheese. "Balvenie" with Terry's Choccie Orange.

barrrrrrrrrrrf

Are we not men ?

Do you wear pink panties while you drink scotch too ?
JohnyyGuitar
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:19 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:

barrrrrrrrrrrf

Are we not men ?

Johnny I saw you'd made a post and thought wow he's come back. Then I read it. :o
les taylor

Postby SoMK » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:31 am

Just like some whiskies, a JG doesn't always improve over time :wink: Why should we wear panties indeed !

Food combination for tonight, Mrs Nouet's recipe of a super melting chocolate cake with A'bunadh custard. (batch 19 to be honnest)
Really beautiful.
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby andyt » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:52 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote: Are we not men ?

We are Devo
andyt
Silver Member

Postby TheTross » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:32 am

JohnyyGuitar wrote:

barrrrrrrrrrrf

Are we not men ?

Only at weekend :wink:
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:37 am

Powers and Guinness. Oh wait, its food, sorry :lol:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:37 am

The other night I was thoughly enjoying the newer bottling of 'Fiddich 12 and some TJ 73% cocoa......stunningly good together
Gov
Gold Member

Postby KenBeau » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:41 am

I remember having a dram of the standard expression of Oban and a chocolate torte some years ago. Oh my that was truly a slice of Heaven for a few minutes.
KenBeau

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:19 am

KenBeau wrote:I remember having a dram of the standard expression of Oban and a chocolate torte some years ago. Oh my that was truly a slice of Heaven for a few minutes.

I can imagine it was lovely KenBeau - the Oban 14 is also very chololaty imo.
Mr Fjeld

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder