Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and Food combinations

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Whisky and Food combinations

Postby Ganga » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:45 pm

Ardbeg and a combination pizza. The oily, fruity nature of Ardbeg against the sausage, bell peppers, onions and tomatoes. Very interesting as it seemed like my entire palate was under siege.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby evanstonwhisky » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:01 pm

:mrgreen: sounds great, I had sausage with ardbeg once, it was heaven
evanstonwhisky

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:02 pm

At our last whisky gathering, ginger-enhanced puréed carrot soup matched wonderfully well with Glenmorangie Cask Strength.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby cathach » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:18 am

Gov wrote:Powers and Guinness. Oh wait, its food, sorry :lol:

Personally I detest Guinness so I tend to pair Powers with another Powers :smoke:
cathach
Silver Member

Postby mulinho » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:12 pm

just picked up some Lindt "A touch of Salt" chocolate. 3% fleur de sel in it. looking forward to trying it out on the Islays once I get back to my collection next week... :P should be interesting.
mulinho

Postby mulinho » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 pm

Collector57 wrote:
mulinho wrote:just picked up some Lindt "A touch of Salt" chocolate. 3% fleur de sel in it. looking forward to trying it out on the Islays once I get back to my collection next week... :P should be interesting.

That does sound interesting, indeed!
Please report back?

The girlfriend got to the chocolate before I got it back to my whisky collection. :evil: Had a bit with Glengoyne 14 which I picked up on my travels (didn't really add much), but wanted to try it with the Islays. Will pick up 3/4 bars in May hopefully when I will be back in the shop I first picked it up.
mulinho

Postby bbrownri » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:47 am

I just had a salad with chopped red peppers, peppercorn-crusted smoked salmon and sage balsamic vinaigrette. I followed it shortly with an Ardbeg 10. I think the smoky, peppery aftertaste from the meal melded well with similar flavors in the whisky and helped to highlight the Scotch's malt, citrus and fruit notes. I know I'm becoming one of Those People, but man...I love Ardbeg! :P
bbrownri

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:45 am

Our host created a precursor dinner to have before the evenings tasting of cask samples. Food choices were inspired by his having tried the samples first. Meal: brats, ribeye, cooked peppers, cooked pineapple, salad with bitters, chinese black tea and papaya juice. Premeal included smoked salmon.

Well I had a couple of whiskies with the meal not affliated with the evenings tasting. First were two Ardbegs from MMcD. The bourbon cask was very nice while enjoying the various smokes coming from the grills. The finished Ardbeg was very good with the smoked salmon. Really the oils were working in harmony with the smoke and sweetness found in the Ardbeg. However, the really interesting thing was a specialty bottle of Bowmore that I had with the grilled pineaple and the papaya juice. Recall that many Bowmores have a strong citric element. The combination of the three was almost magical.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby vandercluus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:53 am

One of my first whiskies was the standard 12 yo Knockando which I liked pretty much at that time. Trying it again a few months later I did not find it to be as good as I had found it to be before ( meanwhile I had tried a few other whiskies). However, I then tried the Knockando again with chocolate ( 70% chocolate, bought the one they sell at the German supermarket Lidl, it's a NOT sweet chocolate, I tried it with Lindt chocolate of 70% cacao as well and found it to be too sweet, it did not fit well). First I took a small piece of chocolate into my mouth and chewed it only very few times in the front area of my mouth, the chocolate must not melt! Adding some Knockando to it, letting the whisky circulate in the pretty well opened chocolate and continuing to chew gave me the taste of pretty strong christmas spices mixed with the chocolate. So, if you have a Knockando opened, give it a try but remember: the chocolate must not be sweet!
Greetings from Berlin, Lennart
vandercluus

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder