Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Midleton Very Rare 40%

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Midleton Very Rare

Re: Midleton Very Rare 40%

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:11 pm

IainB wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:
IainB wrote:
I agree - top class blends - about the best anywhere if you ask me. They could do better on the pure pot still though!

I don't know about that, Redbreast 12 is outstanding. I have a bottle waiting to be cracked open at the weekend.

I agree - Redbreast 12 if great and the 15yo a step above. What I was getting at is that they've a huge range of blends but really only one regularly available PPS, or 2 if you count Green Spot. Compare that to the range of single malts you get from Cooley, Bushmills and pretty much every Scottish distillery. And Midleton is a massive distillery!

Yes it would be nice to see a pure pot still in the Jameson range like the old days 8)
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:27 pm

IainB wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:
IainB wrote:
I agree - top class blends - about the best anywhere if you ask me. They could do better on the pure pot still though!

I don't know about that, Redbreast 12 is outstanding. I have a bottle waiting to be cracked open at the weekend.

I agree - Redbreast 12 if great and the 15yo a step above. What I was getting at is that they've a huge range of blends but really only one regularly available PPS, or 2 if you count Green Spot. Compare that to the range of single malts you get from Cooley, Bushmills and pretty much every Scottish distillery. And Midleton is a massive distillery!

They don't do single malts either. I was at the distillery and there was no sign of one. :shock:

I'd like to try Green Spot. Some Irish chums of mine recommend it.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:14 am

I've read that their massive stills don't make good single malt. They had that Erin Go Bragh a few years ago for an independent label, but it didn't go down that well.

They make single malt in batches every few years and use it in Paddy. They used to use it in Hewitts too, I think.
Aidan

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:16 pm

Aidan wrote:I've read that their massive stills don't make good single malt. They had that Erin Go Bragh a few years ago for an independent label, but it didn't go down that well.

They make single malt in batches every few years and use it in Paddy. They used to use it in Hewitts too, I think.

Hewitts contains no pot still whiskey, apparently.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Yes, and it wasn't bad either. I have a few bottles of it still. Maybe the malt suited itself to blending.
Aidan

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:43 pm

Aidan wrote:Yes, and it wasn't bad either. I have a few bottles of it still. Maybe the malt suited itself to blending.

I enjoyed Hewitt's. On my recent Irish trip, it was the most like Scotch.

Superior stuff
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby IainB » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:27 pm

I think I remember reading at some point that Hewitt's contained malt from both Bushmills and Midleton. Could be wrong though. Hasn't Hewitts now been discontinued?
IainB
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:00 pm

IainB wrote:I think I remember reading at some point that Hewitt's contained malt from both Bushmills and Midleton. Could be wrong though. Hasn't Hewitts now been discontinued?

Makes sense as they were both owned by Pernod Ricard until recently.

Don't know if it is discontinued.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby IainB » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:09 pm

I think I also read somewhere that Hewetts was peted at some point in the past. I could be very very wrong on this also. So in conclustion, I really don't know what I'm talking about!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:08 pm

Yes, Hewitts is discontinued, and it used to be peated, a long time ago.
Aidan

Postby IainB » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:19 am

Aidan wrote:Yes, Hewitts is discontinued, and it used to be peated, a long time ago.

In a galaxy far far away?
IainB
Gold Member

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:24 am

Aidan wrote:Yes, Hewitts is discontinued, and it used to be peated, a long time ago.

That would have been very very interesting to try - a peated blend by IDL!

I remembered last night where I'd read it - Peter Mulryan's book. Have you heard the same thing from any other source - it's just that he says IDL were looking for a blend that woudl compare to Scotch blends - and then makes the jump to say that in other words it was peated. But that's not exactly the same thing. At the time, a blend from IDL with just malt and grain (i.e. no pure pot still) would have been unusual - that doesn't mean it was peated.

That said, I'm sure Peter Mulryan knows a lot more about these things than me.
IainB
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 am

Yes, I believe it was peated. They had a bottle of it in the Celtic Whiskey Shop a few years ago. I'm sorry I didn't buy it.
Aidan

Postby IainB » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:10 am

Aidan wrote:Yes, I believe it was peated. They had a bottle of it in the Celtic Whiskey Shop a few years ago. I'm sorry I didn't buy it.

I'm sorry you didn't buy it too!

I do remember the CWC selling a great many of the most recent bottling a couple of years ago when it was announed it was being discontinued - I bought one or two but I think it will be many many years before these become a collector's item!
IainB
Gold Member

Postby cathach » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 pm

Careful now; I went into the CWS there, and they told me that it's up to E100 now.

Mind you they're guilty of encouraging inflaton re: rare whiskies........
cathach
Silver Member

Postby 1nn0vat10n » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:02 am

I have just found an original bottle of Middleton 1984 whisky unopened and in box complete with authentication , it was in my mums house and dont know what to do , shold I drink it or keep hold of it for later or sell
1nn0vat10n

Postby Aidan » Mon May 28, 2012 2:13 pm

The price you'll fetch for it has gone down a lot over recent years. You could get maybe 500 euro now? I've seen them go for less too.
Aidan

Related whiskies : Midleton Very Rare

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder