Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Highland Park 18

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Postby sgsoloplayer » Sun Oct 22, 2006 6:17 am

Here is my mini review of the Highland Park 18. Take it or leave it, I'm a bit inebriated and quite an amateur.

Nose: Caramel and honey, very sweet smell. Floral notes and slight toffee smell. Little bit of oak as well.

Taste: Floral, leafy, oak overtones. Peat undertones as well as almond. Can also taste the caramel and honey, but not as strongly as the smell would suggest.

Finish: A bit salty and peppery. Nice and hot. Lots of oak in the finish. As a reviewer (I think MJ) said, nice and oily, very substantial.

Overall: Wonderful! My favorite (of the very little I have tried) for a daily drink. I definitely enjoy this for almost any mood or moment.

Again, I am an amateur, but I hope this review was decent, as it's my first. If you guys care to, please comment and tell me if you experienced some of the same things as I did, and how well I reviewed this scotch. Goodness I'm feeling quite warm and inebriated! I'll check back soon
sgsoloplayer

Postby MGillespie » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:03 pm

Don't put yourself down...excellent tasting notes!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Oct 22, 2006 4:33 pm

I too like the Highland Park 18y, more than the 12y. I don't like that they add caramel, not that I can tell, but I do prefer natural whiskies. I think it's worth it, especially if you can get it for the better deal the others here have mentioned.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:28 pm

I got it, and it's great. Wow, it is sweet. I really enjoy the smoky dry finish. :D and NO PINENUTS!!!!! :D :D
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby peergynt323 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:32 am

Highland Park wins my award for Most Inconsistent in Online Tastings. It seems no one can agree what's in the nose.

IMHO, the 12yo is nothing special.

With the 18, I get different stuff at different times, among them smoke, sea salt, cedar, flowery highland character, malty sweetness (again reminiscent of other Highlanders).

This is not to say that it's not a great malt though. Very tasty. Reminds me of Christmas-time--like a very toned-down version of Anchor Christmas Ale if you've had it. The holy grail of my collection is my HP25, which has more of all that goodness.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:28 am

peergynt323 wrote:Highland Park wins my award for Most Inconsistent in Online Tastings. It seems no one can agree what's in the nose.

Mayber there's simply so much going on that everybody is finding something different, it's quite complex. Just a thought.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:19 am

I agree that it is complex--very complex.

I get citrus, wood and flowery perfume in the nose. Palate reveals malt, honey and seasalt. Finish is warm with vanilla and spice. Salty malt lingers.

I adore this one and I drink it for its mysterious complex character.

But here's what I mean (various notes from the internet):
...milk chocolate, cookie dough, leaf pile, plastic tarpaulin, beach bonfire...
...pipe ash, used pipe cleaners, rotting leaves, charred oak, wood stain, pecan...
...Leafy (vine leaves?), pine nuts...
...nuts, honey, cinnamon, dryish ginger...
...banana, pineapple, melon...
...Creamy, nutty, fruity (mirabelle, quince jelly). Lots of light toffee, cappuccino, Bailey’s (or rather like an Alexander). Lots of strong honey (chestnut, fir). Keeps developing on lavender creme, crystallised oranges, dates...
peergynt323
Gold Member

HP 18 -- terrific chewable delectable dram

Postby philbert » Sat May 05, 2007 2:48 am

Hi FWIW here are my very quick thoughts on HP 18

Fabulous balance of honey, peat, leather, wood, toffee, a little heather, a hint of smoke ... chewable ever so slightly oily roll in the glass. Sublime.

I can't believe I picked this up for 57 bucks. I mean I don;t even want to tell anyone I bought it for that price, but well now you know.

This will have a place among my favorites. I rarely if ever pay mroe than $80 for a whiskey, and generally stick in the $36-$70 range -- so the 25 yr whiskeys I can;t talk about. As such HP 18 joins my other faves:

Talisker 18
Highland Park 18
Talisker 10
Clynelish 14
Oban 14
Caol Ila 12
Lagavullin 16
philbert

Related whiskies : Highland Park 18 Years Old

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder