Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Johnnie Walker Gold Label

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Johnnie Walker Gold Label

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:45 am

Well I just had to try this puppy. Johnnie Walker Gold Label. Been in the freezer for 26 hours. It is DELICOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

OMG GET A BOTTLE HAVE SOME DARK CHOCOLATE OMG DIVINE!!!!
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:15 am

You know, you really should try to show more enthusiasm...let your personality show... ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow, I can't believe a whisky could be so nice.
It tasted delicious.

So delicious I drank too much and couldnt go into work today.

:P
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:14 pm

The distillery manager at Cardhu recommends it chilled.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:00 am

Johnnie Walker website says freeze it for 24 hours. I took their advice k thanks.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:18 am

Imagine how much nicer it will taste once you drink it at room temperature, like you're supposed to!! :roll:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby ScotchPalate » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:33 pm

So, did you freeze the whole bottle, or put it in another container to freeze? I'm leary of putting the whole bottle in the freezer, for fear that it may change the composition/taste permanately even after it returnes to room temperature. Now, what bottle should I use to freez it in? I know I'll get one of my single malt mini bottles and wash it out..that's it. :D
ScotchPalate
Bronze Member

Postby suth100 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:02 am

doesn't apear to change it, but i have to agree it's very nice frozen...

deffinatly my bottle of the week and would recomend trying it...
suth100

Postby Elagabalus » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:23 am

OMG isn't it delicious? I just adore it. I have to get some tomorrow omg delicious.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:58 am

Elagabalus wrote:OMG isn't it delicious? I just adore it. I have to get some tomorrow omg delicious.

So you haven't quite decided whether or not you like it? ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Jesse » Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:52 am

Gold Label is easily my favorite vatted malt, it's sinfully good and still has subtleties. I honestly like it over the Blue Label (thank God).

I tried Gold Label from a chilled glass, and the aromas disappeared, like the cold temps locked the fruity notes out. ...When you freeze it, do you let it settle back to room temperature before drinking it?
Jesse

Postby Drrich1965 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:19 am

Jesse wrote:Gold Label is easily my favorite vatted malt, it's sinfully good and still has subtleties. I honestly like it over the Blue Label (thank God).

I tried Gold Label from a chilled glass, and the aromas disappeared, like the cold temps locked the fruity notes out. ...When you freeze it, do you let it settle back to room temperature before drinking it?

Gold is blend, not a vatted malt. It has grain whisky in addition to malt. Vatted malts are all malt. JW Green is the only one in the JW line that is a vatted malt. I don't know anyone, in truth, who kepstheir whisky cold; most keep it at room tempature all the time.

I actaully find Green a very nice vat, and when it is on sale is worth it. Very nice complexity and firm, although my bottle seemed to go off a bit quick.
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Jesse » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:56 pm

Gold is blend, not a vatted malt.

So it is, thanks for setting me straight. (Those sampler bottles are so hard to read. :D ) I usually pick out the bourbon when I nose blends, Gold obviously does a masterful blending job! (...One bad experience with bourbon and you never forget that taste!)

Green Label's smoke explodes on my palate, I love sipping it. Its been selling for $50 locally.

ScotchPalate, let me know what you think when you try it.
Jesse

Postby Thomas H. » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:17 pm

I had some this Christmas, put it in the freezer for 24 hours and with some chocolate cake. Define combination.

Both at room temp. and frozen, this is a very good blend indeed. Like Glenfiddich, Johnny Walker has a bit of a bad rep because of it's best know variation, the Red Label. The Black Label is already an improvement, and beyond they really aren't bad. However, personally, there are single malts which I find a lot better then the Gold Label for a better price then the Gold Label, and that is something you see with a lot of "Premium" or "Deluxe" blends. They are very nice, but IMO, not good enough to justify the price tage.
Thomas H.

Re: Johnnie Walker Gold Label

Postby Stewart » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:57 am

This is an interesting one...I just got it, and I'll have to consume more of it before I do a tasting to make notes.

At first sip, it seemed very balanced, but without some of the "deep" notes that Johnnie Walker Black has...it seems more "tightly" blended with more shine, and hard to pick apart the different notes. It seemed young for an 18-year or better. Adding a little water helped loosen it up some, and I could taste its maturity and complexity.

I drank my glass with a dinner that was kind of on the salty side and, swigging some of the Gold, WOW, it became like a sherry bomb! Totally different from tasting it before dinner. It was like a blast...sherryish, but heavy...still balanced with some oak, and I could taste the high quality--intense. I wondered if there was some Glenlivet in there 'cause, drinking during dinner, it reminded me a bit of Glenlivet 18 (which was sherryish for me), though the Glenlivet is lighter, more refined. Very delicious! But I'll have to drink more before I can present a better opinion with notes.

Right now, I'm pretty sure I still prefer JW Black, partly because of the tension between its deep, sweetish notes and the peaty and "marijuana" or mustard-like notes, even though I sense the Gold has more "clarity" than the Black (tastes a bit more expensive). And, you can't beat the great deal you get with the Black, money-wise. I've also got JW Green and, while it's very good, I prefer the Black to it.
Stewart

Re: Johnnie Walker Gold Label

Postby Stewart » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:21 am

JOHNNIE WALKER GOLD

COLOR: deep gold.
NOSE: malt, bread dough, oak, some sherry, some spice like ginger, orange blossom, slightly rooty--quite a range.
BODY: thick, firm, chewy.
PALATE: lots of malt, slight to medium peat fire, sherry, oak is nicely noticeable but not overwhelming. Very balanced.
FINISH: long, smooth, woody-malty, satisfying, the fire fades but no burn.
COMMENTS: noticeably more mature and smooth than JW Black--makes me think of being comfortable in an easy chair by a warm fire. Perfect if you're looking for a mature, balanced blended whisky. Water does not really open it up. Compared to other Johnnie Walker whiskies, I would rate Black slightly higher than this and JW Green; Black is still my favorite, for vitality (youth and peatiness) and contrast, though I haven't tried Blue. It might be a tossup between Gold and Famous Grouse 18, which I like very much. I think the FG is more intense, but it has less peat than Gold and FG's noticeable oak can be a little bitter. Still, Gold is a great drinking experience and worth the money.

By the way, I think my post above this one has to be taken with a grain of salt, because the meal I had with it influenced the taste.
Stewart

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder