Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What was the 1st Single Malt Whisky You tried?

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:28 pm

I was in Ediburgh on business and the hotel bar had an amazing collection. The whisky menu had easily over a hundred different single malts. :shock:

The highlight of the first night was a 32 yo Springbank and I was hooked! By the end of the stay, we had worked thru a good portion of the list! :wink:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Pascal » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:44 am

Bruichladdich 10. After years of having cheap blends on ice, I was instantly hooked. Have been collecting 'Laddies and tasting various Islay malts ever since!
Pascal

Postby Ann-Helen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:14 am

Well my first malt was lagavulin 16 yo.
this malt whisky thing started this summer for me :roll:
I actually could not stand the taste and smell of whisky , but I`m married to a man who loves whisky ,he keept saying there is a whisky for everyone and one day I desided that I`m gonna learn how to like whisky
When I first deside to do something I have to do it Proper I bought some books and more whisky of course and tasted my way through .The whisky that made me a whisky lover was actually Glen Ord 12 yo because it differed from the others then I tasted old pultney 12 yo and it was mind blowing!
Now I keep collecting and tasting and searching for more favourits
Just the other day I tasted a new favourit Auchentoshan 12 yo it really differs from the other auchentoshans.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:14 pm

So is hubby happy, or does he think he's created a monster?
Deactivated Member

Postby shiftdelete » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:43 pm

Hello, I'm new here, and new to single malts as well.

I used to be really fond of brandy and cognac, but I've recently developed a huge appreciation of Single Malts.

For some reason, whenever I heard Whisk(e)y mentioned, I would remember some very bad days/nights related to the American stuff. I had finally tried a few blended scotches (JW black, gold), and thought they were fairly nice.

I always remember a british friend of mine talking about single malts, and how great they were.

So, about 2 months ago, I went to Total Wine and looked over their collection. Feeling very overwhelmed, I looked for some advice. None of the staff really had a clue. So I was looking at bottles, and grabbed a Balvenie 12 doublewood based solely on the packaging, and an older lady walked by, and said "That one is GREAT".. I didn't question her, as she seemed like she had downed a few bottles of the stuff. :)

Anyways, I got home and tried it, and I was floored. WOW!

Over the next few weeks, I grabbed a Macallan (sherry style) 12 and was impressed. Later, I upped the ante, and got a bottle of Laphroaig 15. Tasting that made my brain explode. I'm hooked, not in an alcoholic sorta way.. but in that wonderful hobby / taste sensation sorta way.

That is where my collection stands at the moment, but after reading these posts, I've got a huge shopping list that will slowly get filled...

Aberlour a'Bunadh, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 C/S or QC, Highland Park 12, etc etc.

I'd like to thank the Academy, the Balvenie 12 doublewood, that older drunk lady in Total Wine, and my british pal. 8)

-Shiftdelete
shiftdelete

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:15 pm

Great start, sd! Now answer this question: do you consume the whisky, or does the whisky consume you? :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby shiftdelete » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:36 pm

I have been consumed. :twisted:
shiftdelete

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:46 pm

Right answer. Welcome to the club!
Deactivated Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:28 pm

So is hubby happy, or does he think he's created a monster?
Well to this question the answer is hubby is happy because otherwise there would`nt have been bought so much whisky! :)
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:19 pm

Laphroaig 15yo! Good choice! I'd say that you don't need to bother with QC if you have that one. Try 10yo CS! It will blow your mind.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:So is hubby happy, or does he think he's created a monster?
Well to this question the answer is hubby is happy because otherwise there would`nt have been bought so much whisky! :)

Doesn't seem to stop any of the boys around here....
Deactivated Member

Postby s33r » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:00 pm

New to whisky and this forum after my dad bought me a set of three miniatures. They were Tomintoul a 10, 16 and 27 yrd old. Wasn't overly keen after tasting the 10 but warmed to it after tasting the 16 and especially the 27. I just loved the smoothness and the smell. Not sure how to convey myself properly but there you go.
s33r

Postby Drrich1965 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:54 pm

s33r wrote:New to whisky and this forum after my dad bought me a set of three miniatures. They were Tomintoul a 10, 16 and 27 yrd old. Wasn't overly keen after tasting the 10 but warmed to it after tasting the 16 and especially the 27. I just loved the smoothness and the smell. Not sure how to convey myself properly but there you go.

Welcome..Over time, we all develop our own language and system of tasting, all part of the fun. Read people's descriptions, and you will come to your own way of doing it...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby wieslaw » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:15 am

It was Xmas of '89 & I brought home two -- Glenfiddich NAS for the shape of the bottle -- Knockando for the name.

After Talisker I was lost.
wieslaw

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:32 am

I was lost in Knockando once. Literally.
Deactivated Member

Postby shoganai » Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:27 am

Cool thread.

I have some very early memories (toddlerish age) of my father dipping his finger in his scotch and letting me taste it. I was a fairly curious child, so I guess he figured that on top of dirt, bugs & worms a little drop of whisky wouldn't hurt. I believe he was always partial to Glenlivet, so that's probably what it was. Although, I think he may have been into Dewars at some point, so this might not count as my first "single malt". If that's the case...

Flash forward to the end of my college years, where I was sick (literally!) of "experimenting" with various kinds of liquor. I decided to be a little more sophisticated, and I got myself a bottle of Glenlivet 12. So that was my first.

The next was Balvenie 12, and that's when I realized that not all scotch tastes the same.

Then it was Glenfiddich 12, and that's when I realized that I do not love all scotch.

The one that got me hooked for life was Lagavulin 16. That was the first single malt I tried that completely blew me away and nearly made me swear off all other forms of liquor.
Last edited by shoganai on Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:04 am

Me too. Lagavulin was the first 16 year old i ever took on holiday. To Greece. whilst there, i had a brief fling with Dalwhinnie in a bar downtown, but my 16 YO was always beckoning to me from the villa...and to her I always returned.

...the one to which all others had to aspire.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ann-Helen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:54 am

MrTattieHeid I didn`t mean that he would have stopped buying whisky if I didn`t agree whit his whiskydesire. I just stated that Since I now love singel malt too there `s more money to buy whisky with.
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:21 pm

:? Not sure I understand what you think I meant.... Just meant that the disapproval of one's spouse (not yours particularly) doesn't seem to stop anyone around here!
Deactivated Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:17 am

s33r:
To echo Rich, welcome to the forums. Feel free to post any queries you might have and take a gander at the FAQ section, that Jan has so kindly set up and maintained. There is a wealth of information there and in the combined wisdom of the Forums' many global posters.

You're lucky to have a parent that introduced you to a variety of Tomintoul, welcome onto the voyage of Single Malt discovery.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:29 pm

First dram of single malt scotch - that I remember - was a lovely Glenmorangie 18yo back in 1989... It was gooooood, and it got me hooked. :lol:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:04 am

Bullie wrote:First dram of single malt scotch - that I remember - was a lovely Glenmorangie 18yo back in 1989... It was gooooood, and it got me hooked. :lol:

Glenmorangie 18, yes that would have hooked me too! :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Bullie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:32 pm

Lawrence wrote:Glenmorangie 18, yes that would have hooked me too! :D

Mhmm.. And it still does it for me. :) Nowadays I get quite sentimental when I pour a dram of that nectar. Many memories follows that dram...
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Grisu » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:36 pm

As this is my first post in this forum - this topic seems the perfect way to start.

I had to think about it for a while - but I remember: It was a Bowmore Darkest, which we bought on a Scotland trip in 2000.

The right thing to start, I guess :wink:

Before that is was just the occasional Blended. Although this Bowmore startet something quite different...

Every trip to Scotland a few bottles are added to my collection and one of my favourites is the Highland Park 18 (although so far I haven't found a bottle, that tasted as delicious as the first one did).

All the best from Austria and keep up this great forum - and I'm looking forward to be joining you for the occasional dram
:D
Grisu

Postby Ardbeg311 » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:32 pm

Welcome to the Whisky Forum Grisu!

The first whisky I ever had was a Cutty Sark. Used to sneak into my dad's liquor many decades ago and take a swig. He caught on and put a lock on it.

I don't remember my first single malt but it was probably a Glenfiddich or Glenlivet.

The one that got me hooked was the Lagavulin 16.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:27 am

Grisu wrote:I had to think about it for a while - but I remember: It was a Bowmore Darkest, which we bought on a Scotland trip in 2000.

The right thing to start, I guess :wink:

Welcome, Grisu. Darkest was one of my first, and I count myself lucky that it didn't put me off whisky altogether. I still don't like Bowmore! Two lessons there: first, to each his own (de gustibus non est disputandum; chacun à son goût; different strokes for different folks), and second, if at first you don't succeed....
Deactivated Member

Postby Grisu » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:39 pm

@ Ardbeg311 & MrTattieHeid:
Thanks for the welcome!

MrTattieHeid wrote:
... Two lessons there: first, to each his own (de gustibus non est disputandum; chacun à son goût; different strokes for different folks), and second, if at first you don't succeed....

The good thing is - if somebody does not like what I like - I won't have to share :twisted:

So far however - everything I like, my boyfriend also likes and vice versa :P
Grisu

Postby Rocketmann » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:07 pm

My first was Isle of Jura Superstition. To be honest I bought it because I'm into Egyptian stuff and I liked the Ankh. I figured out right away that I liked the peaty types. At my wife's Christmas party a couple years ago I asked the restaurant bar for the smokiest scotch they had and they gave me Lagavulin 16yr. Yeah, it was love at first sip.
Rocketmann

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:39 am

My first was Glenlivet 12, followed by Glenfiddich NAS, Cragganmore 12, and Macallan 12, while the last two got me to like single malt scotches, I fell in love with it when I had Talisker 10. Since then I buy a bottle whenever I can scrape the money together. Now 16 bottles later and gaining steam.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:35 am

I've posted this once before (I vaguely remember) and just found it in my e-files so I thought I'd dredge it up again;

My first introduction to scotch was a single malt and advertising did the trick. I was spending the Christmas of 1982 in Glasgow far away from home on the Canadian west coast when I spotted a small display in the hotel lobby. Inside was a bottle of Laphroaig 10 and the familiar white tube (with the long ago dropped silver bands, remember them?). I'd never seen anything like it. For some reason I that I cannot explain I was drawn to this unpronounceable 'most richly flavoured of all scotch whiskies' as the tube boasted. Further more it went on to state that 'Laphroaig is best savoured neat, or with a little cool water.' How curious. I sought out a Harrods-style store close to the hotel and there in the food hall, atop of the liquor shelf, was the Laphroaig. Refusing to attempt the unpronounceable I muttered and stammered until the lady behind the counter referenced my pointing finger and determined what I wanted. I bought 10 bottles without having ever tried the contents. I later sneaked them back into Canada, thinking back I'm not quite sure how I carried that off however it proved to be good training for future trips to Scotland .

I was 23 and have loved Laphroaig ever since.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Elagabalus » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:07 pm

Balevenie, and I am pretty brand loyal too so I will probably drink Balvenie all my life because if the 10 is the others must be even better!!!

Of course I will try others but I will always remember Balvenie.

:D
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Postby Robocod » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:49 pm

pkt77242 wrote:
My first was Glenlivet 12, followed by Glenfiddich NAS, ....

Same for me, took me 15 year to appreciate malt again.
Lagavulin 16 opened my eyes, nose and tastebuds to whisky again.
Today I do like Glenlivet 12 but Glenfiddich NAS is not my glas of spirit.

Robocod
Robocod

Postby plainly jane » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:15 pm

My first dram?

I went to Scotland about 10 years ago, almost a non-drinker (5 beer or glasses of wine a year). On the trip, I went to the Edradour Distillery. While they were showing a video of how they made scotch, etc, I sampled their offering. What a bit of alright that was! Now I skip my AA meetings for Single Malt tastings.

Lucky for me, the Kensington Wine Market (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) is within staggering distance from home. I have attended several events and they do a terrific job. Edradour is still in my top 20.

I have to say, though, to those of you who started with Lagavulin or Laphroaig,
how could you have continued with Scotch Whisky? I am afraid that for me, Laphroaig is only palatable when poured over haggis or taken atop a mountain, in winter, at minus 30 Celsius after hiking all day.

Each to their own :)

Oh, what fun! This is my first submission to a forum on this Magazine, actually, any forum anywhere.
plainly jane
Bronze Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:37 pm

plainly jane wrote:I have to say, though, to those of you who started with Lagavulin or Laphroaig,
how could you have continued with Scotch Whisky?

Ditto Edradour ! It's good for getting the midges off the windscreen during the summer....... :lol:

Welcome to the forum BTW
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Welcome, Jane...hope you have fun here...

As for my first dram...it was a Balvenie 10 back in 1997.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder