Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Sad to see empty...

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Postby Drrich1965 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:32 am

Lawrence wrote:Murray McDavid Ben Nevis 6 yo (bourbon/port). Very nice!

Well, at least im not the only one......
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:05 am

The glass isn't empty yet but the bottle is, Ardbeg TEN, my last one of the moment!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:26 am

Rare malts Glen Ord 23 year old gone. :dead: :cry:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:46 pm

...supplies of Glenmorangie 10! Yes! Just received Milroy's newsletter...

Seems they are revising their range. I'll do a "copy and paste" in a mo'.

so it is. R.I.P to a whisky that never tastes the same twice(and that's a compliment!)
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:49 pm

As promised, folks. this COULD be a new thread, but i'm being lazy...

From Philip Shorten at Milroy's:

GLENMORANGIE DISTILLERY

You heard it here first - the Glenmorangie distillery is overhauling its entire range. All of the current bottlings will disappear, some forever (bye-bye Glenmorangie 10yo, 15 yo, 30yo, 1977, Wood Finishes...sniff, sniff). Others will be replaced by new incarnations (more to come on that front soon – suffice to say, expect to see fancier bottles and packaging and higher prices). Enthusiasts and collectors may wish to stock up now as we are clearing our remaining stocks of Glenmorangie to make way for the new releases.

GLENMORANGIE 10 year old

Au revoir Glenmorangie 10 year old, bonjour Glenmorangie “Original” (bottled with no age indication but said to be at least 10 years old).

£26.95 per bottle – last stocks

GLENMORANGIE 15 year old

In any re-branding overhaul there are winners and losers – Glenmorangie 15 year old will disappear when the new leaner and slicker range is released.

£35 per bottle – last stocks

GLENMORANGIE 18 year old

Glenmorangie 18 year old will stay part of the range, but expect it to almost double in price to at least £80 (nice box though).

£45.95 per bottle – last stocks

GLENMORANGIE Wood Finishes

The current range of wood finishes (of which Glenmorangie was the pioneer) is being rationalised and will be replaced by three new wood finish bottlings (Oloroso Sherry, Port and Sauternes) and will be priced at different levels (ie: more).

£33.95 per bottle – last stocks

GLENMORANGIE 1977

To quote Queen, Another One Bites the Dust. Now is the time to secure your last bottle or two of Glenmorangie 1977 if you are a fan. News is that that the last batch will contain a personal "Farewell ‘77" letter from the distillery manager himself.

£110 per bottle – last stocks

GLENMORANGIE 30 year old

The oldest standard release in the current Glenmorangie range will be undergoing a makeover – a few Botox injections and a judicious touch of lip gloss and you will have Glenmorangie 25 year old.

£195 per bottle – last stocks
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:57 pm

Well spotted RB - that explains why we see Glenmo on discount in Tesco etc all the time just now.

Time to stock up on the Portwood me thinks!

LVMH are obviously going further down the New packaging = 'Premiumisation' = Higher prices equation!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:36 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:

GLENMORANGIE 18 year old

Glenmorangie 18 year old will stay part of the range, but expect it to almost double in price to at least £80 (nice box though).

£45.95 per bottle – last stocks

Surely that can't be right .... who in there right mind would pay that for an 18yo Glenmo ....

Not even HP or even Macallan have reached those heights and you know how skeptical I'm of Macallan prices :o

Took a few prices of well known 18yo's from LFW

Bunnahabhain £47.90
Caol Ila OB £35.90
Glenfiddich £35.90
Glenlivet OB £33.80
Glenmorangie £44.50
Highland Park £49.90
Macallan £59.90
Talisker £36.50

So as you can see 80+ is totally nuts

And I don't want to hear any rubbish of stocks etc ... how many times will they play that card....

If this is true I can see others following and it could be the start of the big slide ... I know people will say otherwise but this could be the slow start of people turning against scotch. All that is needed is a couple of recessions here and there and then the fan will be hit by the unmentionable stuff ....

anyway all I know is I won't be buying any of the stuff at that price
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:44 pm

Lets see Highland Park @ £49.90. Talisker @ £36.50. Or Glenmorangie 18 @ about £80. It's got to be the Glenmorangie every time.

:wink:

I just don't think it will happen. Their sales will plummit.
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah. About the only two that I appreciated were the Margaux and Burgundy finishes. Now if they make the 18 standard bottling of the Margaux :thumbsup: , then I can handle the additional charges.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:49 pm

Wow, sad news to read, really will be sad to see empty! As Glenmorangie has been, and is, a wonderful whisky! But I'm sure they know what they're doing, or who they're doing it for! I'm sure soon we'll all see a real huge explosion and renaissance of whisky, for the new drinking market! New wave whisky, coming up next!!
Already we've seen hints of it, and it's great, lots more people are fallling in love with what we're in love with, and there's room for everyone I'm sure. We'll continue to buy and drink what we want, maybe the more "classic" style of whisky, which I'm sure will continue to exist and procreate, while others go with more fancy boxed special bottlings focused on the pink-hued nightlife jetsetters, or something.
I think there is room for everyone! Look at all of the various styles of music for example, something for everyone. And within each style there are sub-styles and genres too, satisfying even the most intricate of tastes. So, basically, sad to see the original Glenmorangie go bye-bye, but it does also open up endless possibilities as well.
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:25 pm

Di Blasi wrote:New wave whisky, coming up next!!

And it will feature pictures of Flock of Seagulls and Adam Ant. :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:40 pm

Ganga wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:New wave whisky, coming up next!!

And it will feature pictures of Flock of Seagulls and Adam Ant. :wink:

And hopefully Kajagoogoo too!!
Di Blasi

Postby Frodo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:18 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Macallan £59.90

Over here, the 18yr Macallan is $280 or 140 GBP. Totally out of wack when compared to..

Highland Park 18 - $120
Talisker 18 - $100
Glengoyne 17 - $90
Bowmore 17 - $90
Glenfiddich 18 - $90
Glenlevit 18 - $100

Someone is buying Mac 18 over here or the LCBO would reduce the prices.

The only other observation I have is that PLC Glenmorangie seems to be trying to position Ardbeg as a premium brand. Perhaps they are considering doing the same with Glenmorangie?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:01 am

The Ellenstown is all gone. :( We'll have to investigate another bottle. :)
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Dubois » Fri Jul 20, 2007 3:01 pm

Aberlour 15 Yrs Cuvée Marie d'Ecosse.
Will probable buy a new one as soon as possible :wink:
Dubois

Postby Ganga » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:36 am

Due to a most unfortunate incident. I will have a series of "sad to see empty" bottles. Tonight we start with the Caledonian Selection Bruichladdich 11 yo and the MMM Lagavulin 1979. :(
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:37 am

Ganga wrote:Due to a most unfortunate incident. I will have a series of "sad to see empty" bottles. Tonight we start with the Caledonian Selection Bruichladdich 11 yo and the MMM Lagavulin 1979. :(

Ganga did you drink them. That is unfortunate.

:wink:
les taylor

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:28 am

The Caledonian Selection 10 yo and the Signatory Macallan 1988 12 yo disappeared tonight.
:(
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:50 pm

Last week on a camping trip I brought a half bottle of Ardbeg Almost There but it lasted only one and a half days! Sadly gone but I still have at least a couple of cases left so not really that sad. Will open a new one tonight I think.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:12 pm

hpulley wrote:Last week on a camping trip I brought a half bottle of Ardbeg Almost There but it lasted only one and a half days! Sadly gone but I still have at least a couple of cases left so not really that sad. Will open a new one tonight I think.

Harry

Harry next time you go camping take a full bottle. You know that you want to. :wink:
les taylor

Postby hpulley » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:22 pm

I considered it and should have! Next month when we camp again I will take a full one.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:56 pm

Bet it's still gone in a day and a half....
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:47 am

Ardbeg Almost Gone finally became Ardbeg No Longer There.

Yes folks, I finally drained the last of the Ardbeg '77 I had nursed for a year and a half, no less. during which time it's price has probably trebled, and the likes of which i may never taste again.

Unless, of course , i have a hit record...

but never mind. I met a very generous chap at a dinner party a few weeks ago who happened to be a whisky lover, and who claimed he had a CRATE of springbank 21, and promised to send me a bottle!!

I thought he was joking, but gave him a couple of my CDs anyway. It finally arrived a few days ago and will be opened on my wedding day!

It came with the following message: "A bottle of 21 YO Springbank for a couple of CDs. I think someone's getting a bargain here. Some bargain. Just a bottle of whisky for the beauty and feeling and fun in your words and music. Wonderful. Thankyou."

Not one bottle empties but another one opens...how about that?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:02 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Ardbeg Almost Gone finally became Ardbeg No Longer There.

Yes folks, I finally drained the last of the Ardbeg '77 I had nursed for a year and a half, no less. during which time it's price has probably trebled, and the likes of which i may never taste again.

but never mind. I met a very generous chap at a dinner party a few weeks ago who happened to be a whisky lover, and who claimed he had a CRATE of springbank 21, and promised to send me a bottle!!

I thought he was joking, but gave him a couple of my CDs anyway. It finally arrived a few days ago and will be opened on my wedding day!

It came with the following message: "A bottle of 21 YO Springbank for a couple of CDs. I think someone's getting a bargain here. Some bargain. Just a bottle of whisky for the beauty and feeling and fun in your words and music. Wonderful. Thankyou."

Good story RB shame about the Ardbeg 77. I would get another post in if I were you. 667 is so much nicer. :wink:
les taylor

Postby Scotchio » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Ardbeg Almost Gone finally became Ardbeg No Longer There.

Think he wants you mate :wink: Do you know which bottling it is? Either way it's a treat and a bargain
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:00 am

Nah, yer b*****!! He's happily married!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:10 am

Scotchio - re; "which bottling", I wouldn't know enough about Springbank to offer any definitive clues, but having never seen a 21 before, it comes in a tall box, a tall standard clear bottle, not the dumpy ones I've had in the last few years( I've had 2/3 SB 10s and currently a CS 10)...and a little note inside with a "cask offer" from the manager, frank McHardy.It also strikes me as dark in colour, as dark as Talisker 10, glenfarclas 12 , almost as dark as A'bunadh, and without any of the greenish tinge i observed in the standard 10.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:33 pm

Highland Park 18 Yrs.

Hope to replace it as soon I can :wink:
Dubois

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:40 pm

Well, if you're passing thru Gatwick pr H'row, I just picked up an P18 for £39 at "World of whiskies"...not a bad price
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:41 pm

...erm, that's HP 18!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:52 pm

£39 is a great price for a great dram! I'll grab a bottle myself next time I pass through
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:29 am

My Laphroaig 15 just bit the dust. Okay there's another in the hoard but I'll have to open something new. So goodbye to an old friend ;)
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:16 am

Sad to see empty...

...the shelf which once housed Laphfroaig CS at Tesco's in amersham. Made a special post gig midnight detour...but, only a sign , with price "£21 to clear", and "Replacement.TBA." I skulked off and bought some washing pp liquid(Ecover, natch) and some onions...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Dubois » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:04 pm

Ardbeg Uigeadail
This is one I will replace for sure.
Dubois

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:42 pm

I'm part way through the bottle but will be sad when my Aberlour 12 DM is finished.
Lawrence
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder