Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Duncan Taylor NC2-series

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Duncan Taylor NC2-series

Postby BigMac » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:56 pm

Anyone had any experiences with the new Duncan Taylor NC2-series??

Regards,

B'mac
BigMac

Re: Duncan Taylor NC2-series

Postby Pleb23 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:57 pm

Greetings

Got a bottle of DT NC2 Springbank 1993 for christmass, it was, and my flat mates and various other friends all agree, the most vile liquid any of us have ever had the displeasure of being in the same room as!:yuk:

AA
Pleb23

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:41 pm

I have the NC2 Clynelish, but as yet it remains unopened. I'l llet you know when it has been tested.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:19 pm

I have the NC2 Glenlossie. Not impressed, nor was the other person I tried it on. Sulphurous gunk IMO.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:02 am

I tried the NC2 St. Magdalene. I wasn't overly impressed but others in the group enjoyed it. Call this one a mixed review.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mattbuty » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:06 am

Weird..I haven't tried these NC2 bottlings, but they went down well with whisky mags indy bottlings polls.

I can honestly say I have yet to taste a bad Duncan Taylor Bottling. They did a Dallas Dhu, which was the best I have ever tried, and I am quite a fan of the old double DDs :thumbsup:
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby fishboy » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:09 am

I've had a few of the NC2 bottlings

A 13 year old mortlach which was wonderfully lemony. My wife, who tends to prefer the heavier whiskies really took to this to the extent that we didn't drink anything else until it was all gone!

I've got an NC2 Clynelish on the go at the moment, which some friends and i tasted head to head with the proprietary bottle over the new year. We generally felt it a more rounded dram - it had a lot of the oily mouthfeel that i used to associate with Clynelish which i feel is missing from the current OB.

I've had a few bottles of NC2 Springbank, although not the one mentioned by Pleb23

Pleb23 wrote:Greetings

Got a bottle of DT NC2 Springbank 1993 for christmass, it was, and my flat mates and various other friends all agree, the most vile liquid any of us have ever had the displeasure of being in the same room as!:yuk:

AA

I've had the 1996, 10 year old version matured entirely in a port pipe. This was a big wonderfully sweet dram, really remeniscient of some of the older Springbank bottlings, which were heavily sherry influenced .

Independent bottlings, by their very nature will vary in quality. But without the pioneering work of the independents and the SMWS we would all be happily and quite ignorantly drinking chill-filtered, caramel-coloured malts (which we still are to a large extent). I for one am willing to accept the odd dodgy indpendent bottling (quite rare from the likes of duncan taylor, douglas laing, Scotts selection and the SMWS) given the wealth of wonderful whisky these guys have provided us with.

FB
fishboy
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:55 pm

I have the NC^2 of the Alt-A-Bhainne 14yo. It was not that bad. I would not consider it a great dram at all. But having been my first Alt-A I can't say what a house style of Alt-A is like. If it is representative, then I will not seek out another Alt-A... :yuk:

It did not seem like a bad bottling. It seemed like it was presented pretty simply. Maybe just not the greatest casks.

I think that DT is one of the king of bottlers out there right now. I hope that this is not a way for them to dump some of the 'not so good' casks.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:04 pm

I agree entirely with all those who say that DT is a great bottler. The Glenlossie is the only bottle I have had from them that I didn't think was first rate. Wouldn't want anyone to think I was suggesting otherwise.
Last edited by Willie JJ on Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie JJ

Postby mattbuty » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:19 pm

Willie JJ wrote:I agree entirely with all those who say that DT are a great bottler. The Glenlossie is the only bottle I have had from them that I didn't think was first rate. Wouldn't want anyone to think I was suggesting otherwise.

Willie, I think we all know you as a man who would give an honest appraisal of the glass in your hand, and not conclude from the contents that the whole bottle/distillery/world was at fault.
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 am

As promised, after my evening at The Arc, I am now sitting here with the NC2 Clynelish, 13y, 1994-2007

I am quite impressed, this is a good dram and much better than the previous Clynelish (I think G&M) that I tried.
It is full flavoured, slightly spicy and very tingly on the front of the tongue.

Once again, i will say it won't qualify as a "great", but it is good and I would buy it again.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:41 am

Meanwhile, here are my tasting notes for this Clynelish:
(here you go Matt, one for the new tasting notes!)

Colour: Very pale yellow

Nose: Very fresh, almost a minty aniseed aroma.

Palate: No mint, no aniseed, but still quite fresh and very tingly on the front of the tongue. The flavours are quite hard to place, perhaps a little freshly cut grass.
The flavours are also quite weak in strength at the beginning, but come back stronger from the back of the mouth with hints of mustard, faint raspberry and a little roast beef.

The finish is then quite short, after this slow start and following flood of flavour.

Overall opinion: Not a great, but quite good. Certainly nothing wrong with it.
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:34 pm

NC 2 are usually brilliant but be sure to get Mark Watt's recommendations as his finger is always on the pulse.

You can't go wrong with Caol Ila or Imperial from DTC.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby jaxjrone » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:42 pm

:D Allt-a-Bhainne (14 yr) and Ben Nevis (9 yr) are pretty darn good. I really like the unique taste of Allt-a-Bhainne, I certainly recommend it.
jaxjrone

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder