Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bruichladdich 20 year 3rd edition

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Bruichladdich 20 year 3rd edition

Postby petecaps » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:21 pm

I found this whisky amazing. A fantastic nose. A quick peaty aromoa that did not burn the nose whatsoever. The tase was also a nice peaty mud that was just pure joy. And the finish just laid there on the palate to remind you to try another sip in a few minutes.

Had the 1st edidtion last week and it did not seem like an Islay at all to me. Much more like a straight forward Highland whisky. My buddy and I put it sstraight to the back of the shelf, probably to be lost til we are bored and already drunk to try again.

Anyway, I am a novice (started drinking the dram about a year ago), so I would appredciate some reviews and opinions on these two whiskys.

Please try to avoid reviews on other "Laddies" as they seem to have a thousand different bottleing out there. TIA
petecaps

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:01 pm

Most of the Bruichladdich's I've had did not have a very high peating level at all, including the first and second editions of the Twenty. Both versions of the Twenty take me to a happy place and were quite sublime.

Based on your comments it sounds like you are very much a peat-head. I would suggest that you set the Twenty first edition aside for now. As a suggestion, try it on an evening when you are having a malt that is not heavily peated and not heavily sherried.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby petecaps » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:12 am

I just like peat when I am going to drink al Islay. To be honest, I get peated out quite quickly. It is just the 1st edition has no Islay qualities. I agree it is a nice little dram, just tastes like a Speyside dram.

As for the 3rd edition, I was blown away. Great nose, taste and finish. the reviews on this whisky (from the pros) have just been fair. Interested in what the normal folks think. Thanks.
petecaps

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:51 am

Goes to show that you have to take the region concept with a grain of...well, whatever. Not all Islays are peat monsters, although that's what most people mean when they talk about Islays. It's the same everywhere else. The regions are a convenient way of categorizing things geographically, and I suppose there are some characteristics that pop up more often here than there, but one oughtn't get too too caught up in it. There are probably as many malts that don't fit these molds are there are that do.
Deactivated Member

Postby Golden Promise Alex » Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:44 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Goes to show that you have to take the region concept with a grain of...well, whatever. Not all Islays are peat monsters, although that's what most people mean when they talk about Islays. It's the same everywhere else. The regions are a convenient way of categorizing things geographically, and I suppose there are some characteristics that pop up more often here than there, but one oughtn't get too too caught up in it. There are probably as many malts that don't fit these molds are there are that do.

I can agree on that.

I'm surprised with the level of peatyness Petecaps finds in his Laddie as the distillery-character is very low peated. Most people rate the 20yo first edition quite high, as I do. But you'are right don't expect a smoky monster Image. Of course it's a matter of taste. But talking in terms of quality I think it's one of the best standard-Laddies they brought out.

Anyway you made me curious about that 3rd release. (I must admit I don't taste too many Bruichladdie's these days since I lost track on al their releases... :dead: )

Alex
Golden Promise Alex

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:00 pm

Golden Promise Alex wrote:(I must admit I don't taste too many Bruichladdie's these days since I lost track on al their releases...)

No point trying to keep up...just reach into the stream now and then and grab whatever happens to be floating by!
Deactivated Member

Postby petecaps » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:07 pm

will give the 1st edition another try next week.

Just seems odd that they have so many different flavor profiles coming from one distillery. Don't get me wrong if it tastes good I will drink it :dead:
petecaps

Postby Sherried Malt » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:10 am

petecaps wrote:will give the 1st edition another try next week.

Anything new to report? A friend claims the 1st Ed was the best of the bunch (peatiness aside) but I have yet to try any of the Twenties... Your comments would be very helpful in figuring out which one to get.

Thanks a lot.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:50 am

Sherried Malt wrote:
petecaps wrote:will give the 1st edition another try next week.

Anything new to report? A friend claims the 1st Ed was the best of the bunch (peatiness aside) but I have yet to try any of the Twenties... Your comments would be very helpful in figuring out which one to get.

Thanks a lot.

The Twenty 1st edition was very good, light and very fruity. The second was less fruity, but sweeter and more winey, and the third, I haven't tried yet.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:07 am

corbuso wrote: The Twenty 1st edition was very good, light and very fruity. The second was less fruity, but sweeter and more winey, and the third, I haven't tried yet.

Thanks for the comparison, Corbuso. It sounds like the 1st ed. might be more to my liking...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Re: Bruichladdich 20 year 3rd edition

Postby Red_Arremer » Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:24 pm

Bruichladdich's most timeless and beautiful whiskies are probably it's basic bourbon casked ones, which have a soft highland-like character. The twenty year old third edition isn't one of them. It's from the other side of Bruichladdich's range-- the intense individualistic side.

I first tasted it amongst a range of bottles that might be considered more appetizing (G&M mortlach 36, Benriach 21 Authenticus) and it's intensity and complexity immediatly set it apart... very potent stuff with an incredible dry finish. I don't think that it has that much peat, but it does have some exotic smoked tea notes that probably come from the madeira ACE.

The profile's not for everyone, but I love this whisky.
Red_Arremer

Re: Bruichladdich 20 year 3rd edition

Postby lincoln imp » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:54 pm

Red_Arremer wrote:Bruichladdich's most timeless and beautiful whiskies are probably it's basic bourbon casked ones, which have a soft highland-like character. The twenty year old third edition isn't one of them. It's from the other side of Bruichladdich's range-- the intense individualistic side.

I first tasted it amongst a range of bottles that might be considered more appetizing (G&M mortlach 36, Benriach 21 Authenticus) and it's intensity and complexity immediatly set it apart... very potent stuff with an incredible dry finish. I don't think that it has that much peat, but it does have some exotic smoked tea notes that probably come from the madeira ACE.

The profile's not for everyone, but I love this whisky.

This is one of the best Laddies i have tasted in recent years, that said i think that there are far too many Laddie expressions now and are guilty of over exposure. :thumbsup:
lincoln imp
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder