Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Lagavulin 21yo

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.
Related whiskies : Lagavulin 21 Years Old

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:40 pm

In less than 24 hours we'll see if the shop in Bergen will get it, fingers crossed!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Bulkington » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:04 pm

No, I got mine at Martin Bros. on Broadway and ... 107th? I've been keeping mum on that, as a friend is saving to buy a bottle from them, but they deserve the business, I guess. But this same friend spotted the 21 at Acker Merill, and both are priced lower than at Park Ave.

Surprised that Astor didn't get any in. Maybe they sold out right away by subscription or something. I bought my PC5 from Park Ave. that way at a horribly inflated price.

[quote="Jobi"][quote="Bulkington"]Check Beekman's, too:

http://www.beekmanliquors.com/

-b[/quote]

FYI, I emailed Beekmans and they do not have it.

Bulkie, did you find your bottle at Acker Merrill?[/quote]
Bulkington
Silver Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:36 pm

YES, got it!!!!!!!!!! I'm an even luckier and happier whisky lover now!!
LAGAVULIN 21y in the collection now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:19 pm

Di Blasi wrote:YES, got it!!!!!!!!!! I'm an even luckier and happier whisky lover now!!
LAGAVULIN 21y in the collection now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Good for you, Di Blasi! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:
User avatar
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: New York, United States

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:28 pm

Thanks Sherried Malt!!!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby les taylor » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:05 pm

Di Blasi wrote:YES, got it!!!!!!!!!! I'm an even luckier and happier whisky lover now!!
LAGAVULIN 21y in the collection now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!



Well done Di Blasi that's good news. How much did you have to pay for it? £110 in the UK.

:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby TheTross » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:26 pm

Congrats on getting hold of a bottle Di Blasi :D. I was one of the fortunate ones to have picked a bottle up myself when they first came out; just waiting for Christmas Day to come now, as I vowed I wouldn't open it until then. Just 46 days to go (and counting...)
User avatar
TheTross
Gold Member
 
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:34 am
Location: Oldham, UK

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Wave » Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:37 pm

I paid $290 ($12.10 shipping, no tax) for mine here in the States (K&L Wine Merchants) which comes out to a little over £138, a little higher than the £110 quoted by Les, but when you factor in their VAT at 17.5% (or £17 shipping) the mark-up really wasn't that bad. Not to mention the extra 50ml (750ml bottles) we get! :mrgreen:


Cheers!
User avatar
Wave
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:57 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:33 pm

£ 135,- / $ 285 is what I paid.
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:18 am

Thanks for all the well wishes folks, really nice! The price here is 1500kr, refer to Mr Fjeld's post for what that equates too.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby atoto » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:23 am

Wave,

Dont fret about it. You picked up a very special bottle in the Laga 21! Paying a few dollars extra is in-consequential. Remember the law of averages always wins - next time you get lucky on a bottle for a few $$'s cheaper.

AT
atoto
New member
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:20 pm

A few dollars here a few dollars, or kroner, or pounds or whatever, I think is okay in this very special and excellent bottling! I feel great about the purchase and know it will soon enough increase in value as they continue to sell out all over!
And atoto is right about "Remember the law of averages always wins - next time you get lucky on a bottle for a few $$'s cheaper."
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Wave » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:10 pm

atoto wrote:Wave,

Dont fret about it. You picked up a very special bottle in the Laga 21! Paying a few dollars extra is in-consequential. Remember the law of averages always wins - next time you get lucky on a bottle for a few $$'s cheaper.

AT


Huh?
Actually I'm not fretting about it at all, I know the prices of special bottlings and if I didn't feel that the price of this Laga 21 (not to mention the PE 7th Release I got last month) wasn't justified I wouldn't have bought it (them). :|


Cheers!
User avatar
Wave
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:57 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby meni » Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:35 pm

Hi Wave
Did you like the PE 7th release (28 yo? ) ? how do you compare it with the lagavulin 21? considering both cost the same.
Thanks
meni
New member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Wave » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:09 pm

meni wrote:Hi Wave
Did you like the PE 7th release (28 yo? ) ? how do you compare it with the lagavulin 21? considering both cost the same.
Thanks


I haven't opened either one and probably won't for some time yet. I've got quite a few bottles opened already including a couple of Port Ellens (an 18yo '83 SS & 22yo '83 OMC) and I have other Port Ellens in queue to be opened first including a PE 24yo '79 Signatory CS from a first-fill sherry cask (dark mahogany in color) that I'm planning to uncork for Christmas!


Cheers!
User avatar
Wave
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1860
Joined: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:57 am
Location: Illinois, USA

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby meni » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:30 pm

thanks wave,
never had port ellen before, this will be my first :-)
meni
New member
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 12:13 am
Location: Florida

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby K-Mile » Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:30 pm

And here I am, still waiting for the call that my Laga 21 has arrived... :roll:
K-Mile
Gold Member
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:44 am

La Maison Du Whisky in Paris still had it on their site a few days back. Maybe sold out there too now?? All other sites have also shown it's gone. Hope you get yours too K-Mile, good luck!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:27 pm

This bottling has created quit a buzz. What will be the next whisky to cause such a stirr? Maybe PC6 would have if they didn't make so much of it.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3252
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2002 2:01 am
Location: Dublin

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:35 pm

I wonder too Aidan! The Lagavulin is well deserved attention, it's a great whisky!! Kind of came in modestly, without all the hoopla, and has garnered top ratings and a top welcoming of selling out! I did see it still available on the La Maison du Whisky website last night though.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby corbuso » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:47 pm

meni wrote:Hi Bamber,
great review.
did you try the 30yo?
if yes, can you compare?
Thanks


They are two different whiskies. The 30 years is complex, but more in subtility, with a quite discreet peatiness. The 21 YO is more peated, more intense, with a beautiful alliance with the sherry.
Fortunately, I managed to secure a few of them :-)

As a parallel, it is like comparing the Talisker 20 YO sherry (62%) with the first 25YO/30YO Talisker.

Corbuso
............
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member
 
Posts: 878
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 11:56 am

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:06 pm

corbuso wrote:
meni wrote:Hi Bamber,
great review.
did you try the 30yo?
if yes, can you compare?
Thanks


They are two different whiskies. The 30 years is complex, but more in subtility, with a quite discreet peatiness. The 21 YO is more peated, more intense, with a beautiful alliance with the sherry.
Fortunately, I managed to secure a few of them :-)

As a parallel, it is like comparing the Talisker 20 YO sherry (62%) with the first 25YO/30YO Talisker.

Corbuso
............
http://www.whisky-news.com


Great review about the comparison of the 30y and 21y Lagavulins corbuso, I agree with you, as I just last night sampled the 30y again. It's quite subtle, where the 21y is beautifully teamed and intertwined with the perfect sherry cask, like nothing else. Definitely one of the top 5 whiskies I've had the pleasure of tasting and enjoying.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:16 pm
Location: Brussels, Belgium

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Bulkington » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:29 pm

I opened my bottle last night. Best scotch I've ever had (though I'm still new to this, so haven't had many).

It's like the 16 trimmed of fat I didn't know it had. I'm not sure I could go back to the 16 again. I think it would make me cry.
Bulkington
Silver Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:55 pm

corbuso wrote:
meni wrote:Hi Bamber,
great review.
did you try the 30yo?
if yes, can you compare?
Thanks


They are two different whiskies. The 30 years is complex, but more in subtility, with a quite discreet peatiness. The 21 YO is more peated, more intense, with a beautiful alliance with the sherry.
Fortunately, I managed to secure a few of them :-)

As a parallel, it is like comparing the Talisker 20 YO sherry (62%) with the first 25YO/30YO Talisker.

Corbuso


Just to clarify, how would you describe the Talisker 20 vs. the older Taliskers? Is the 20 the complex one or the more intense one?

Thanks.
User avatar
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: New York, United States

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:59 pm

Bulkington wrote:I opened my bottle last night. Best scotch I've ever had (though I'm still new to this, so haven't had many).

It's like the 16 trimmed of fat I didn't know it had. I'm not sure I could go back to the 16 again. I think it would make me cry.


Bulky, given the sherriedness (is that a word?) of the 21, is it more directly comparable to the DE as opposed to the regular 16 then? I've always loved the DE for exactly that reason...
User avatar
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: New York, United States

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Bulkington » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:24 pm

I'm not so good at backing up my assessments, but I'd say the 21 is far, far removed from the DE. I think the "smoked [high-coco-content] chocolate" description from whiskyfun is right on for the DE (which I also only just tried last night, so who knows how differently I'll feel after it and the 21 have had time to breathe): it's an element in the 16 brought dramatically to the fore; but it's also a part of the punch of the 16 lost (with no regrets) from the 21. Describing the 21 satisfactorily eludes me, but ... the nose alone struck me as worth the price of admission. So much more refined and salty. I've been thinking of hot buttered sourdough pancakes. . . . The 21 also seems to be bringing an element in the 16 to the fore, but where (to me) the DE results in something of a one-trick pony, the 21 brings out (and in retrospect exposes) what's been hampered by youth. I hope this makes sense.
Bulkington
Silver Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby K-Mile » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:51 pm

Di Blasi wrote:La Maison Du Whisky in Paris still had it on their site a few days back. Maybe sold out there too now?? All other sites have also shown it's gone. Hope you get yours too K-Mile, good luck!


Yes! I received a call my Laga arrived today.. 8) Will pick it up tomorrow at 160 EUR :thumbsup:
K-Mile
Gold Member
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:59 am

Bulkington wrote:I'm not so good at backing up my assessments, but I'd say the 21 is far, far removed from the DE. I think the "smoked [high-coco-content] chocolate" description from whiskyfun is right on for the DE (which I also only just tried last night, so who knows how differently I'll feel after it and the 21 have had time to breathe): it's an element in the 16 brought dramatically to the fore; but it's also a part of the punch of the 16 lost (with no regrets) from the 21. Describing the 21 satisfactorily eludes me, but ... the nose alone struck me as worth the price of admission. So much more refined and salty. I've been thinking of hot buttered sourdough pancakes. . . . The 21 also seems to be bringing an element in the 16 to the fore, but where (to me) the DE results in something of a one-trick pony, the 21 brings out (and in retrospect exposes) what's been hampered by youth. I hope this makes sense.


Bulky, it sounds like a marvelous complex whisky that I'll love to explore (and contemplate) over time.

Thanks for the insight. :thumbsup:
User avatar
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: New York, United States

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Bulkington » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:47 pm

I may reconsider, but it occurred to me, as a roundabout way to explain either the 21 or the DE to someone who's tried only one of those and, of course, the 16, that if one were to mix (vat?) the 21 and the DE (at what proportions I couldn't say and wouldn't want to try), you'd get Lagavulin 16. Eh? Anyone?
Bulkington
Silver Member
 
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:21 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby K-Mile » Sat Nov 17, 2007 2:18 am

Finally!!! 8)

After an hour in the shop (first they couldn't find it, then they couldn't find the price) I received my Lagavulin 21 years old, ad 157 EUR today.

I was fearing that I'd miss out completely, but fortunately some things did not go wrong, so even after late, and smaller shipments, there was one bottle left for me.

Not going to open it up just yet, but it will get a very nice spot on the shelf (when I actually got a shelf, I found a nice system that has integrated LED lights, but need to buy and install it first..)
K-Mile
Gold Member
 
Posts: 500
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:59 pm
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:45 am

Congratulations K-Mile :)
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4249
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2005 2:08 pm

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby Sherried Malt » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:46 pm

Bulkington wrote:I may reconsider, but it occurred to me, as a roundabout way to explain either the 21 or the DE to someone who's tried only one of those and, of course, the 16, that if one were to mix (vat?) the 21 and the DE (at what proportions I couldn't say and wouldn't want to try), you'd get Lagavulin 16. Eh? Anyone?


I'll try anything once in the name of science. Sounds like a fun experiment. Now I just have to figure out when I'm opening the 21... :?
User avatar
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1134
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: New York, United States

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby jotter » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:27 pm

I finally managed to get a bottle at the rrp. Bless you whisky exchange! :D
jotter
New member
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:55 pm
Location: England

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby recordmeister » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:08 am

jotter wrote:I finally managed to get a bottle at the rrp. Bless you whisky exchange! :D


seconded! best shop in the world. and 20 mins walk from my flat!
recordmeister
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: London

Re: Lagavulin 21yo

Postby recordmeister » Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:46 pm

Anyone tried the Lag 25? 9000 bottles of that and it came out just before the 21. Would love to know what the difference is and how they compare?
recordmeister
Bronze Member
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: London

Related whiskies : Lagavulin 21 Years Old

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder