Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Best Abunad´h Batch

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Best Abunad´h Batch

Postby woodhill » Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm feeling stupid - I've just opened my Batch20 (my first Abunadh) and cant believe I only bought one bottle (at £25) !

This stuff is so rich and powerful!
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:17 pm

woodhill wrote:I'm feeling stupid - I've just opened my Batch20 (my first Abunadh) and cant believe I only bought one bottle (at £25) !

This stuff is so rich and powerful!

£25??? Do you know if they ship to the US?

Sounds like it's time to call some friendly shopkeepers... :D
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:21 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:sherry, it's on sale down in silver spring.

http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/Apps/ ... ecials.cfm

$42.99. probably either batch 16, 18, 19, or 20. depending on which county store.

Thanks for the tip, LSD! I'll give them a call this week. Do you know if they ship?
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby arnehd » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:22 pm

Some weeks ago I bought a batch 8 , the store where I bought it at got some bottles from Italy (the bottle had an Italian customs tag or something like that on it, so I'm just guessing). I was kind of dissapointed. Up until now I had two bottles from the batch 14 which were both absolutely great in every way and never needed one drop of water.
The 8 in comparison is too strong for me. The nose is too simple , and i have to dillute it quite a bit to halfway enjoy it. While the 14s were creamy and rich (they reminded me in nose and taste of christmas baking with lots of spices, dark chocolate and marzipan) this one was just a CS "straight in the face" sherried whisky.
Not bad , but by far not as good as I remember the others. The price though was great , because it was on sale, at least something to smile about!
arnehd

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:07 pm

Collector57 wrote:My unopened one is Batch 15. Anyone know what that batch is like?

It has a slight sulphur taint to it that spoils it a little. I found the best way to drink it was to have several drams at the one sitting. Somehow the sulphur became less noticeable and the (considerable) merits of the whisky began to shine through. I also thought that oxidisation was helping as the bottle appeared to improve after it had been opened for a while.

Sadly I think it is not as good as 20, but I had several enjoyable evenings with it nonetheless.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SoMK » Mon Dec 17, 2007 6:35 pm

^Ditto. Distinct sulphur scent but not as desastrous as a 25yo Inchgower I painfully remember *from DemiJohn*
20 is really pleasant !
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:58 pm

I was really delighted with the 1st release (with no batch number), and then again by batch 6, which was exquisite indeed.

Since then I gave it quite a while until I stumbled across batch 17, which I found to be much sweeter and less balanced - 'Too Much' came to mind as a descriptive.

Sorry to hear US whisky aficionados never got the chance to taste batch 1 - I just released one of these bottles, and if I come over to US anytime soon, I can bring a bottle with me! :)
Deactivated Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:39 pm

'57, you know it would be rude not to!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:51 pm

Collector57 wrote:So if I can get a batch 20 at <£20 then it's worth having as well as the 14 I have open and the 15 that's waiting?....

C57 the batch 20 is far superior to batch 15 in my view and is definitely worth having. I have tried it on three different people and all have been really impressed by it.

Can you really get it for less than £20 :shock: . You must know something I don't. If I could get it for that price I would buy 10 for future drinking purposes.
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:56 pm

So far I have only ever tasted one of these and I have no idea which batch it was.
It was in another whisky bar in Munich and I have to say I was bitterly disappointed.
A'Bunadh has a reputation for richness, smoothness and sherry finish. This particular one was weak and watery.

I now have a batch 20 in The Arc but it is as yet unopened.
Maybe I will try this one as so many of you are praising this batch.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby woodhill » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:00 pm

I have only had the 20 which I enjoyed so much i bought another 4 for stock.

I have a 13 and a 17 which i will open in due course.

The guy at waitrose seemed to think this has been discontinued ( or that's what it said on his little machine scannery thingy)
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:19 pm

I've perused back through this thread a little bit. And it seems that there are two groups of thought here.

Group 1 likes what I will call the "winey" a'bunadhs (Batch 16 and 18 come to mind). Group 2 likes what I will call the "caramel" a'bunadhs (Batches 14 and 17 leap to mind).

My preference leans more towards Group 2. Therefore, you will see me say that 8, 14 and 17 are among the best. Whereas others are suggesting the Group 1 batches like 18.

From my perspective, I would vote for Batch 8. Still waiting for Batches 19 and 20 to show up way out west, although Batch 21 has arrived.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:38 pm

For sure the bar where I tried the aforementioned dram would never water any whiskies down.
All I remember is that I expected much and it delivered very little.

Anyway, I'll let you know what I think of B20 in a few days time.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:43 pm

Collector57 wrote:Ganga - do you ever see old batch 8s still around then? Or do you have some stashed away :mrgreen:

I started putting together my collection when they were already on Batch 13. I've had to find mine at the off-the-beaten-path liquor stores. Typically these bottles will be priced at about $70-80.

I have a Batch 10 located currently for $70 if I desire a second bottle.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Sherried Malt » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:24 pm

Ganga wrote: Still waiting for Batches 19 and 20 to show up way out west, although Batch 21 has arrived.

Ganga, have you heard for sure that the US will be getting the 20? It seems a little strange that they would release 21 and then "come back" to 20...
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:19 pm

I believe that you will find that LSD (east coast) has had the 20. I just think that my major outlets here in the Southland got a righteous stock of the 18 as they have been selling it for more than half a year at the $50 mark instead of the usual $60.

What it means is I will have to keep an eye out at some other stores to find these. :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Greek Malt Lover » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:44 pm

Well, I have tasted batches 8 and 19, and they are both great!! Incidentaly, they also get the higher scorings by Jim Murray!! Not that I always have to agree with his (surely respected) opinion!!
Greek Malt Lover

Postby M!KE » Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:56 pm

I popped into my local Waitrose looking for a bottle of Batch 20, however all of their stock is currently Batch 17 which they are selling for £25. I picked up a bottle to give it a try.
Out of curiosity,with a whisky of this strength, 60.2%, do you tend to drink it neat or does it need a drop of water ?

M!KE
M!KE

Postby Ganga » Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:18 pm

In most cases, I drink it neat (Batch 17 is included here). Batch 16 I like to add 2 capfuls of water. I think you will find many of the a'bunadh fans like it neat.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Start neat and then throw your water jug in the bin Mike. IMHO of course :)
Willie JJ

Postby TreacleSponge » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi Mike and welcome to the forums. I've been drinking batch 20 this week with water - sometimes a little, sometimes more. It's so rich it can take water and still wrap you up warm in its sweet sherried goodness. Looks like that's not the general fashion but each to their own tho, there's no right or wrong :)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby M!KE » Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:48 am

Thanks for the replies. I have had my first taste of this tonight (without water) and it is a lot smoother than I anticipated considering its strength.
It has an interesting rich flavour that I cannot quite put my finger on, a combination of dark chocolate, caramel and sherry/brandy.
This is very different to my usual Islay malts, although I am also partial to sherried malts like Balvenie Doublewood and Glenmorangie Lasanta.
The Aberlour has been a pleasant suprise and I may pick up another, the batch 20 sounds interesting.

M!KE
M!KE

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:23 am

C57:
I would choose Batch 13, however my good buddy Bruce seems to lean towards Batch 9, which he maintains doesn't have the alcohol "bite" of other Batches. I wouldn't know, there's none left.

Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:49 am

Musky, my bottles still pretty full. :D

Anyone looking for Batch 12. I've located two of 'em.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:29 am

Sylmar California, eh? Wonder if it's enroute to Portugal??? Naw, Mrs Musky wouldn't go for that.

You planning on coming up this way any time soon, Ganga?

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:48 pm

I've had batches #8,11,12,13. I went looking for #20, but only seen #19 & 21. Is #20 not in the U.S.? What would be next best? Of the four I've had #12 was definitely superior.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby blawder » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:39 pm

Batch 21 is available at my local, humble liquor store. Has anyone tried that batch?
blawder

Postby SoMK » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:14 pm

Yessss ^
Winy like batch 20 but imho sweeter/smoother. Tons of orange peels, dundee cake and great dark chocolate covere marzipan ending. A real dessert treat. Very easy to drink :wink:
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:22 pm

SoMK wrote:Yessss ^
Winy like batch 20 but imho sweeter/smoother. Tons of orange peels, dundee cake and great dark chocolate covere marzipan ending. A real dessert treat. Very easy to drink :wink:

Sounds fantastic. Has anyone seen batch 21 in the UK?
Willie JJ

Postby blawder » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:02 am

Ahhh... I thought the 20 was softer than the 21.... unfortunately, I don't have any of the 20 left to sample in comparison!

We, as a concerned community, should band together and monopolize ALL the Abunad´h batches so that we can...y'know... know.

Anyone with a pitchfork or a torch who is ready to raid the local liquor store -- and join our just crusade -- say Aye!
blawder

Postby SoMK » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:54 pm

^ Aye of course 8)

I stand corrected, after another dram of both, 21 is definitely fruitier but imho lacks the deep round old wine bit of the 20.
I still think the 21 is smoother but that's probably the fruity flavours talking :P
A'bunadh is always a treat anyway...
SoMK
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:18 pm

Willie JJ wrote:

Not round these parts Willie. I'll let you know when it turns up.

:)
les taylor

Postby blawder » Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:11 am

And my batch 21 is waning :(

Will have to scour the local shops to see if there is a dusty batch 20 or, better, 6 or 14 (from what I see in the thread above).
blawder

Postby Wave » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:54 am

Collector57 wrote:Others recommend Batch 8, but unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to taste it :(

It's a heavenly malt! I went through several bottles of that particular batch and luckily saved one for future reference (along with a #6 & #10). :wink:

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:40 am

les taylor wrote:
Willie JJ wrote:

Not round these parts Willie. I'll let you know when it turns up.

I got an email from the Whisky Exchange that they'll be getting the 21 in soon.

No more 20 tho. :headbang:

Good luck. :thumbsup:
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder