Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Muskys Live Tasting - Fri 12 Oct 6.00pm GMT

Muskys Live Tasting - Fri 12 Oct 6.00pm GMT

Postby Matt2 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:24 pm

Ok, I will start this topic so it is ready for us on Friday. Not sure how this will work out but I'm sure it will be fun. The idea is that we all sit down and drink the same whiskies and make comments here at the same time.

Date and Time
Start time Friday 12th October 18:00 GMT (thats 6pm)
GMT: 6pm
CET: 8pm (Amsterdam, Paris, Berlin)
EST: 1pm (Eastern US, no DST, 2pm with)
PST: 11am (Western US, with DST)
AEST: 4am (Eastern Australia, no DST)
Timezone Converter

The Whiskies
1. Balvenie 12 Doublewood - Just to get us in the mood
2. Highland Park 12
3. Bowmore (Dusk, Dawn or Darkest)
4. Ardbeg 10
5. Laphroiag QC
6. Lagavulin 16

Handy Links
Bookmark this topic so it appears in your My Bookmarks list.
Subscribe to this topic so you are emailed everytime a post is made
Also see the Tasting Note BBCode post here for formating your notes.

:thumbsup:
Matt2

Re: Muskys Live Tasting - Fri 12 Oct 6.00pm GMT

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 5:23 pm

Ok, I've unlocked the tasting topic (with my GotG key :wink: ). Please feel free to start things off as I rush back home from the office.

Ready......steady.....GO :mrgreen:
Matt2

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Well, I expect to open up my first at around 8:30pm (Amsterdam time), so have fun to all the early birds, and see you in an hour and a half or so :thumbsup:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:16 pm

Hello whisky fans and forummers. I hope that a lot of you show up today for this tasting online. If you are new to the forums, don't let that cause any hesitation on your part, take a quick gander at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6945&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=35
Which sets out a quick guide to tasting whisky. Print it and refer to it as you post. (It's the second posting on the second page)
Looking forward to seeing everyone shortly. I have a welcoming Balvenie 12 yo DW in hand...Nose: sweet, sherry, honey notes ...a nice light Speyside to start off with.
Edit: Please note that you should have a large tumbler of water beside you to cleanse your palate after each dram.
Muskrat

Balvenie 12 yo Doublewood
Nose : A nutty almonds first, strongly reminiscent of marzipan, then sweet honey notes, a hint of sherry in the background
Palate : Honey, sense a bit of nutmeg when I inhale, which developes into a spicy note
Finish : Gentle, medium strength, not overwhelming, sweetness hangs on the tip of the tongue and sides, a very slight bitterness in the back of the throat. A gentle spiciness in the finish.
Comment : Oddly, no powerful sherry notes that I was expecting. A very pleasant lowkey and lovely dram
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:33 pm

Just pouring a Balvenie 12 DW... You may want to open this page in a new window, it will reload every 60 seconds so you can see new posts. viewtopic2.php?f=3&t=6988

Balvenie 12 Double Wood
Nose : Light, sweet with a bit of wood
Palate : Smooth and quite creamy, what you would expect...
Finish : Fades to bring out some more wood
Comment : Nice, drinkable and non-offensive..

See what Michael Jackson :cry: and Jim Murray said - http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/b ... y1324.html
Matt2

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:55 pm

Interesting to see the tasting notes from the Jackson & Murray. Could it be that tasting several whiskies in a session perhaps accentuates or highlights the differenses between the one in your glass as opposed to the one you just had?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:58 pm

I would say definitly, apparently your senses get bored with the same notes and start to ignore them, letting others come through. But considering I've just had a cup of tea and cig..... :|

Getting some fizzy sherbert now...
Matt2

Postby MrIntrepid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, I saw this thread in the week (great idea by the way) and thought I would join in before I head out in an hour - here are my notes on the Balvenie 12 DW - look forward to seeing what everyone else thinks

Balvenie 12 Double Wood
Nose : Honey, summerfruit, some toffee and plenty of oak
Palate : Vanillas and honey dominate, very smooth and fresh
Finish : Medium length, oak dominates the finish
Comment : Not an exciting dram but an easy drinker
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:13 pm

8) Nice to see you here, and don't forget to pop back in when you get back. Sure it will still be going as the rest of the world catches up.
Matt2

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:17 pm

I wish I could join with a drink but of course work gets in the way....
It's true what someone said that "work is the curse of the drinking classes....."

Enjoy :)
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:17 pm

Cheers Matt, I will try but I am out on a real ale pub crawl with some friends from my local CAMRA (campaign for real ale) group so my tasting notes may well be useless (if not interesting) when I return :lol:
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:19 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Interesting to see the tasting notes from the Jackson & Murray. Could it be that tasting several whiskies in a session perhaps accentuates or highlights the differenses between the one in your glass as opposed to the one you just had?

Christian:
That's a very good poser. I cleanse my palate with water but still find that there are hints of the previous dram left if I move too quickly onto the next one. It is highly possible that the previous dram will add highlights to the present one... HP 12 yo ... which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Interesting to note that I sense the same thing as Matt and the late Michael Jackson but interpret them differently based on my personal experience and palate preferences.
Code: Select all

Highland Park 12 yo
Nose : There's a spiciness there that I can't name, perhaps it's malt? Definite heathery sweetness and maybe a very pale hint of seaweed.
Palate : First...gentle sweetness then fiery and peppery explodes on the tongue after the initial caress.
Finish : Fiery, hot and peppery loads of spice, dances on the tongue tip like fire, a numbing effect on the middle of the tongue...only 43% abv
Comment : The HP always surprises me when I taste it. I should be prepared for the spicy hot pepper but always expect something different.

Muskrat

Edit:
MrIntrepid:
Yes, glad to see you dropping in, I like your comments on the Balvenie. It illustrates that we all approach tastings from our own individual perspective. Wonderful notes, by the way. Welcome to the Forums from Northern Canada! I had noticed some of your early postings and quite enjoyed them. Please raise a pint for the poor benighted Canucks who are stuck with alcopop beer as opposed to the real thing. Lucky devil!
Musky
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Now, once you're all caught up, which Bowmore do you fancy?
Dusk, Dawn, Darkest?*
12 yo, 17 yo?
*In honour of this first online tasting I'm willing to open my Cask Collection to share notes and comments with the forum.
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Highland Park 12 Year Old
Nose : Deeper and richer, more sherry, and something quite distinctive that I can't put a word to, malty?
Palate : Light hint of smoke, bonfire on the seashore, definite warming pepper, tingling
Finish : Short, not expected, fades quickly to leave light charred wood
Comment : Damn fine, but I seem to be loosing the point of this dram - try again later

Ha, Peter, theres something malty, beery in the nose.
Jackson and Murray again - http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/h ... sky83.html
Matt2

Postby MrIntrepid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:34 pm

Hi Musky,
Nice to meet you (virtually anyway!)
I will certainly raise a few pints tonight and will tell the guys about you virtual tasting. HP 12 isn't one of my favourite drams like you for me the spiciness dominates through out

Highland Park 12
Nose : Sweet (sherry) tones, also a subtle smokiness, spicey and slightly medicinal
Palate : Again a subtle smokiness, very spicy, in the background some cocoa (I think this is much more prominent in the 18 yo), a biting malt
Finish : Very long and spicy, quite bitter
Comment : Would go well with a chilli con carne needs more age
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Couldn't get any Bowmore at all, so will sit this round out and play with the HP12. By the time anyone else gets here it will just be us two drunk and giggling at bad jokes in the corner. (Thats how most tastings I've been to end up)

Intrepid - I know what you mean about needs more age.
Matt2

Postby MrIntrepid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:40 pm

I've only got the Bowmore 17 so I will have that but I am interested in your notes on any of the range, I have only had the 12 and 17 so it will be interesting to see what the others are like
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Matt:
Instead of a Bowmore, do you want to slip over to a Lappy - I only have the 10 yo, can't find my QC anywhere - even checked the old apartment last night. I know I don't loan my whiskies out! Or.. a Laggy 16? Or even the Ardbeg 10, which will severly beat up on my senses?
Muskrat
Or maybe another HP... gotta couple to choose from...
OOOH!
MrIntrepid has a Bowmore 17... okay, pouring....
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:43 pm

K-Mile reporting in :)

Just poured myself a dram of HP12 :P

It will probably end up three guys drunk, and drams in random order, but that fine, right :thumbsup:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:44 pm

K-Mile wrote:K-Mile reporting in :)

Just poured myself a dram of HP12 :P

It will probably end up three guys drunk, and drams in random order, but that fine, right :thumbsup:

Good to see you, Matt is still enjoying an HP and watch us get silly with our Bowmore 17. How're your notes on the HP?
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:46 pm

Ooops, just found a sample bottle with Bowmore 16 written on it, must be an Ind Bottling. But sticking to the HP for a little bit, theres something there I just can't get!
hp12mini.jpg

Anyway you like it K :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matt2

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:49 pm

Highland Park 12yo
Nose : Sharp at first, smoky, but also sweet fruit that become more prominent after a couple of sniffs.
Palate : Gently picks up on smokiness, smooth, somewhat rich but nothing heavy or complicated.
Finish : Very smooth, lingers on for a while. Smoke is not that heavy, sherry picks up after a short while.
Comment : Very easy drinker, sweet, well balanced smoke and sherriness.

This bottle is almost gone now, in just two weeks! Good I have plenty of the 18yo, which has the same aroma's but is much richer.
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Hi K nice to meet you, I like your notes on the HP - it seems that between us we could define the HP 12 as a smokey, spicy, sherry style dram :D

Here are my notes on the Bowmore 17 - this will be the last one I have before I go out otherwise I won't be able to keep the pace

Bowmore 17
Nose : Lovely delicate peat, a fruitiness which is hard to pinpoint maybe kiwi, dark chocolate
Palate : A lovely creamy sweet fruity malt, soft peatiness - not too good with water IMO.
Finish : Incredibly smooth, warming and long quite bitter at the death
Comment : A summer islay malt

It has been fun, I look forward to the next virtual tasting
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:03 pm

Bowmore 17 yo 43% abv
Nose : Smoke is there, not overwhelmingly 'though, a pleasant honey note with maraschino cherry nuances mixed in
Palate : There's an almondy-malt like taste there, on second taste, more of an almond paste flavour, lightly sweet
Finish : Short and fast at first, just a fleeting hint left on the tongue at first taste, the spicy hot tingle on the tip of the tongue comes in on the second sip and lasts for a lot longer.
Comment : Odd that I'm finding a dual finish here, must be a concurrency thing, the first taste builds a base, the second builds on it and lasts and lasts...

Muskrat
Mr. Intrepid: Water! I hadn't thought of adding water! I've been dramming as I normally do, neat. I always forget that water will open up different flavours.
K-Mile: I missed the sharpness in the Nose but it is there, when I look for it. The Sherry is there as well in the finish, a sort of sharp sweetness from the cask. Funny that I missed it, maybe I'm trying too hard and not drinking a large enough dram...but I'm trying to pace myself.
M.P.
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:06 pm

Ok, onto the Bowmore....

Bowmore 16
Nose : Harsh alcohol, overpowering, but some light floral summer meadow in the background
Palate : Smooth peaty fruity perfume, an Ardbeg wearing cheap perfume?
Finish : Lingers, alternating between something peaty and perfumed, finishes with smoke
Comment : Nice but I'm not sure what it is trying to be, seems to be stuck between two styles...

Oh, here it is from Dave Broom and Arthur Motley - http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/b ... y3542.html

Edit : We seem to be on the same track here Peter.. a dram of two halves
Matt2

Postby K-Mile » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:12 pm

I will go into a flight of Dawn, Darkest, Dusk in a minute, so will read your notes after that.

MrIntrepid wrote:Hi K nice to meet you, I like your notes on the HP - it seems that between us we could define the HP 12 as a smokey, spicy, sherry style dram :D

I will have to have another look for the spicy aroma's, but that's definitely the kind of dram! :)

Funny to see some differences, I can't really find the spiciness or cocoa, but I might find those on another tasting! On to the Bowmore's, for now...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:14 pm

Hey M.P, do you ever try watering down a sample to around 20%, it brings out all the lighter notes on the nose, not nice to drink tho.... The Bowmore at 20% seems to bring out coal tar which is strange.
Matt2

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:18 pm

Matt Page wrote:Ok, onto the Bowmore....
Edit : We seem to be on the same track here Peter.. a dram of two halves

Odd that the 16 would have a lavender perfume to it which is nowhere to be seen in the 17 yo. Obviously stored in different parts of he warehouse. I wonder if the 16 casks were parked too close to some of that FWP Edradour 10 yo that I find so objectionable!

Otherwise, it's interesting that Bowmore would have a double type of finish in the same dram.
K-Mile a flight of three! Hey slow down so I can catch up a bit, I'm just finished nosing the last of my '17.
M.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:20 pm

Matt Page wrote:Hey M.P, do you ever try watering down a sample to around 20%, it brings out all the lighter notes on the nose, not nice to drink tho.... The Bowmore at 20% seems to bring out coal tar which is strange.

God no! Do you know what fish do in water? To water down that far, the smoky notes would probably be rendered down to their base scent - coal tar as everything would be awash with the water. Wish I could dram with some of the water the distillery uses. Can't buy it over here, ...yet!
Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby MrIntrepid » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:21 pm

M.P. I think you seem to pick up on a lot of flavours, I think it is much easier to find a flavour in a dram if you know it should be there. The beauty of this type of tasting is seeing what other people pick up and then looking for it as well, I guess if you can find it, it will add to the enjoyment. Right I am off it has been a pleasure.

MrIntrepid (Darren)
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 pm

MrIntrepid wrote:M.P. I think you seem to pick up on a lot of flavours, I think it is much easier to find a flavour in a dram if you know it should be there. The beauty of this type of tasting is seeing what other people pick up and then looking for it as well, I guess if you can find it, it will add to the enjoyment. Right I am off it has been a pleasure.
MrIntrepid (Darren)

Darren:
Yeah, I've probably been drinking for too many years! Actually I'm lucky I have a good friend that has a superb set of taste buds and who I set up tastings with a couple of times a year with. I've got a good teacher, and he runs the local "Bottle Shop" so can find anything that's in Ontario when I want.
Thanks very much for dropping by, please let us know how the Real Ale pubbing went tonight. Looking forward to seeing your posts in future threads.
Cheers!
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:27 pm

Darren are you the guy in the pub who always says 'oh ok just one more then I MUST go', only to be found still there at closing time :)

Its not lavendar, something else, used to work with a girl who would wear lots of perfume and when she washed up the tea cups and made a brew it would always taste of her perfume. Maybe she has been working at Bowmore.... Anyway, it is growing on me, I quite like perfumed ones (except the FWP and the Soap from the same people)

Shall we move onto the big hitters :thumbsup:
Matt2

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:31 pm

Oh yeah!
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:43 pm

Muskrat Portage wrote:Oh yeah!

Bowmore Dawn 51.5% abv
Nose : The Port is very noticeable as is a hint of floral heather sweetness. I also notice that the malt is quite noticeable and maybe a hint of dark chocolate...
Palate : Strong spicy attack, almost made me gasp, which is attributable to the higher abv.Almonds and honey in the second taste with perfume coming in close on it's heels again, the lavender hints. Part of the heather I sensed in the nose, perhaps?
Finish : Fiery finish after the strong spicy attack, stays with me for a long time, the tingle is in the middle of the tongue and the higher alcohol makes me salivate a bit. A medium long finish that fades into a slight biterness near the back of the mouth.
Comment : Colour appears to be almost PINK in the glass. Now I look at the bottle, it too appears the same colour - 200 ml bottle.
Last edited by Muskrat Portage on Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:45 pm

Ardbeg 10 year old
Nose : Sweet, sugered peat smoke, light medicinal background
Palate : Plasters, TCP, medicinal but with something meaty there, smooth
Finish : Really nice sweet smoke and peat, just lingers on the tongue, and then carries on, and on, and on....
Comment : Its been a while since I've had this and it brings back lots of fond ardbeg memories, could happily stop here and finish the bottle

Getting a bit peckish, so had a bit of smoked salmon and cream cheese. The Ardbeg really enhances the salmon - but it doesn't do much for the whisky. Mmmmmmm

:angel:

Edit: Oh you're still on the Bowmores :oops: , seems to have broken the bbcode, I will fix that later. Great notes, my mind is giving up with the words now...
Edit:Edit: You fixed it :D
Matt2

Next

Return to Live Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder