Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aberlour 16 Double Cask -- wow!

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Aberlour 16 Double Cask -- wow!

Postby clicker7 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:51 am

Hi All:

Last week for the first time I came across a bottle of Aberlour 16 Double Cask. I absolutely love this stuff. I find it big, full, sweet, very smooth, citrus, and a nice peppery finish. It has a big full honey, vanilla, and sherry nose too!

I like a sherried malt, and some of my other favorites are Balvenie DW, and Macallan 12.

I liked it so much I went back and bought the last 2 bottles my merchant had (it was part of a special order, and rarely available in Seattle). I think this one is a real sleeper! Last year I tried Aberlour Sherry finish, which I thought was nice ( a little candyish), but I find this 16 yr old Double Cask far superior.

I was curious if anyone else out there has discovered and enjoys this expression??

Cheers,
Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Re: Aberlour 16 Double Cask -- wow!

Postby Lawrence » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:27 am

Hi Joseph, indeed, you have been wise to purchase the other bottles, it is indeed a very good bottling of Aberlour. Additionally the 12yo DM Aberlour is also very good, sligthly less dry and more sweet.

Both are excellent.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MrIntrepid » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi Joseph,

I picked up a bottle of the 16 yr old double cask at the distillery in September it was my favourite of all the expressions I tried. I think it will become a very popular whisky as more people get round to trying it.
MrIntrepid
Bronze Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:27 pm

I bought a bottle of the 16 (as well as the 12) in France last year, as it was the first time I'd seen it before (I don't think it's readily available in the UK - the only place I've seen it for sale is on the Aberlour website). It's definitely one of my favourite Aberlour expressions. If I'd have known how good it was at the time, I'd have got another bottle or two, but alas... :cry:
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:37 pm

Are the 12 DM and the 16 DC matured in the same way, but just different ages? Or are it also different cask types?
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby woodhill » Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I've got them both and I think enjoyed the 12yr more than the 16 I'll have to have another go !
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:03 pm

K-Mile wrote:Are the 12 DM and the 16 DC matured in the same way, but just different ages? Or are it also different cask types?

I'd assume they're matured exactly the same way and just different ages, as both bottles mention 'Traditional Oak Cask' and 'Sherry Cask' on the label and the tins suggest the same method of maturation for both.

Dammit, you've made me want to do a H2H now! Maybe later...
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:09 pm

TheTross wrote:
K-Mile wrote:Are the 12 DM and the 16 DC matured in the same way, but just different ages? Or are it also different cask types?

I'd assume they're matured exactly the same way and just different ages, as both bottles mention 'Traditional Oak Cask' and 'Sherry Cask' on the label and the tins suggest the same method of maturation for both.

Dammit, you've made me want to do a H2H now! Maybe later...

I wonder why they call it Double Maturation, and Double Cask.. Sounds like different styles of maturation.. The double matured sounds like it's been in both casks for a significant period, and double cask might just be a finish?

Definitely interesting to compare them H2H to see if this acutally makes sense...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Oct 28, 2007 5:24 pm

K-Mile wrote:I wonder why they call it Double Maturation, and Double Cask..

They don't - it's simply called 'Double Cask Matured' on both bottles (and tins), which would mean that the whisky's been matured in two casks. No mention of any finishing.

I'll do a H2H tonight with these two then, and report on my findings. All in the name of science, of course... :wink:
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby K-Mile » Sun Oct 28, 2007 7:46 pm

TheTross wrote:
K-Mile wrote:I wonder why they call it Double Maturation, and Double Cask..

They don't - it's simply called 'Double Cask Matured' on both bottles (and tins), which would mean that the whisky's been matured in two casks. No mention of any finishing.

I'll do a H2H tonight with these two then, and report on my findings. All in the name of science, of course... :wink:

Ah, that clarifies a lot. I though they had two distinct names on them. Never tasted them though, so I guess I picked up the wrong word combinations from what I've read here.. :oops:
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby TheTross » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:24 pm

Ok, as promised, here are my H2H findings.

Aberlour 12yo Double Cask Matured (43%, OB)
Nose: Sweet and toffeed. Soft. Smooth, with only a hint of prickle. Fruity - notes of banana-flavoured sweets appear after a few minutes! Slightly spicy. Something a bit vinegar-ish? A touch peppery.

Palate: Fruity, though banana seems to predominate again. A little spicy (mainly pepper) and maybe a touch oaky. Not a huge amount of sherry, but it is there. Slightly minty finish.

Aberlour 16yo Double Cask Matured (43%, OB)
Nose: Peppery. Sweet, with a slight amount of prickle. A little peaty, though not in an Islay sense. Some exotic fruit. Coffee and chocolate appear after a little while.

Palate: A little mint. Quite earthy/peaty again, and a touch oaky. The sherry has quite a large influence here, but is well integrated. Coffee and pepper. A lightly spiced, dry-ish finish.

Findings? The 12yo is more fruity and quite a bit lighter than the 16. The 16yo is far richer in style and more complex, is more full-bodied (particularly on the nose) and displays more sherry character.

So it seems that the four years' difference in maturation time have made two totally different whiskies. Out of the two, I'd definitely recommend the 16 more, which is a beautiful whisky as far as I'm concerned, though the 12yo isn't a bad whisky by any means.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:47 pm

Thanks gentleman for all your comments:

Lawrence I have to try the Aberlour 12, it's only $34 down here, it is a real bargain.

Tross-- thanks for your notes!

I'm glad to see others have been enjoying Aberlour 16 DC. The 16 is not widely available, so appears to be a sleeper. I guess it was originally made for the French market.

Last night I was tasting/ nosing the Aberlour 16 DC, and a Macallan 12--The Aberlour 16 buried the Mac. It was much bigger, smoother, sweeter, with a more peppery finish-- also the Aberlour 16 had a much bigger nose than the Mac. 12.

I think it's just about my favorite sherried dram.
I will be definitely stocking up on this one!

Cheers,
Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby K-Mile » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:17 am

Thanks for the notes Tross, sounds like an interestingly similar but but alse very distinct H2H...
K-Mile
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:54 am

clicker7 wrote: I have to try the Aberlour 12, it's only $34 down here, it is a real bargain.

It's $57 here! $34 is a bargain!

:shock:
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MoreDalmore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:23 pm

Wow was also my first impression when I had my first dram of this! That is why it still is my number 1 so far ( altough closely followed by numbers 2,3 and 4 ) See my first poll here ( blatant attempt to get more votes in :oops: :wink: )

Very balanced and easy to drink. It's been a while because at the moment I want to try as many different single malts as possible. But I intend to buy a bottle again someday for sure.

It has been way too long ago for tasting notes but I remember I didn't get any peat or smoke from it ( neither on the nose, palate nor finish ).

It really is a single malt worth much more attention on this forum..... :thumbsup:
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:15 pm

The only problem I've found with the Aberlour 16 DC is that the contents of opened bottles seem to disappear quite quickly. :mrgreen: :P

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby slojo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:53 pm

Wave wrote:The only problem I've found with the Aberlour 16 DC is that the contents of opened bottles seem to disappear quite quickly. :mrgreen: :P

Cheers!

A common problem with most whiskies, in my experience
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Wave wrote:The only problem I've found with the Aberlour 16 DC is that the contents of opened bottles seem to disappear quite quickly. :mrgreen: :P

Cheers!

Wave I have to agree with you, we recently took a bottle of this on holiday with us. It came back almost empty. :(
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Wave » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:14 pm

Luckily it's readily available in my area not to mention the 2 extras I have in stock! :D

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby slojo » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:22 pm

Good price at Waitrose...£29.99

Lovely bottle too so would make nice gift
slojo
Bronze Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:45 pm

TheTross wrote:It's (the 16YO) definitely one of my favourite Aberlour expressions.

For me as well! :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby clicker7 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:14 am

Wow, Aberlour 16 DC!

It's interesting to see this thread active again, after a two year sleep.

More Dalmore: I'm glad you enjoyed it and have been able to find it there; it has been a favorite of mine since I've found it two years ago (and difficult to find here).

Aberlour 16 DC has replaced my cravings for Macallan 12, as I find the later having a lot less flavor and body than older offerings, while the Aberlour 16 has been consistently good.

If you haven't already tried it also try Highland Park 18, a little pricey but a sweet and rich, and more complex dram.

Cheers,

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:40 pm

clicker7 wrote:Wow, Aberlour 16 DC!

It's interesting to see this thread active again, after a two year sleep.

More Dalmore: I'm glad you enjoyed it and have been able to find it there; it has been a favorite of mine since I've found it two years ago (and difficult to find here).

If you haven't already tried it also try Highland Park 18, a little pricey but a sweet and rich, and more complex dram.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello Joseph,

When I stumbled upon this older thread for this excellent whisky I thought there were not as nearly enough responses for such a fine whisky :( . So I thought no harm in trying to rekindle the interest :thumbsup:

I had the Highland Park 18 and enjoyed it very much ( in my top 3 now ). As a matter of fact i just bought myself another bottle to do A H 2 H with Talisker 18 this weekend 8) 8)

I should have a most excellent weekend !! :D :D
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby clicker7 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:09 pm

I had the Highland Park 18 and enjoyed it very much ( in my top 3 now ). As a matter of fact i just bought myself another bottle to do A H 2 H with Talisker 18 this weekend

More Dalmore:

Well, you're picking the good ones. Talisker 18, is another beauty, completely different than the HP 18.

The Tali 18 is very complex: very smooth, smoky, sweet, little fruit/ sherry, nice maritime nature with a little bit of heat in it. I love it, and just picked up 3 bottles last week in Seattle (Tali 18, has been hard to find).

Sounds like you are branching out, do try: Springbank 10, very different than the sherry monsters, and another must have dram. Also, if you can find Talisker 175th Anniversary it is excellent, I find it the most complex of the Taliskers.

Joseph
clicker7
Silver Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:14 pm

It's not so hard picking the right ones with the help of this forum. 8) Just reading through the posts here gave me plenty ideas!

I have a shop relative close by ( 25km ) where they have almost 1400 different whiskies :D for sale ( including some Irish, Japanese and Bourbon but mostly single malts from Scotland ). When I bought my bottle of Talisker 18 I saw the Talisker 175th also so as I like T10 and T18 I am bound to try that 1 also some time.
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder