Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Maker's Mark

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Maker's Mark

Postby Elagabalus » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:17 pm

I decided to get some bourbon this last weekend and so picked up a bottle of Maker's Mark. Disgusting. Bourbon just can't compete with the flavours of SMS IMHO.

Knob Creek is an ok bourbon though. I still can't imagine buying bourbon again.
Elagabalus
Gold Member

Re: Maker's Mark

Postby Les Paul » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 am

I think the best thing about Maker's Mark is the nose. Amazing.
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:59 am

Les Paul wrote:I think the best thing about Maker's Mark is the nose. Amazing.

Yes, truly amazing! Like cherries, so distinct! Great bourbon, whisky without the "e!"
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mattbuty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:44 am

Funnily enough, spent the evening drinking Bullitt Bourbon. Rubish, but you know you can taste in the nose the flavour of scotch, because of the maturation... an interesting experiment. Only problem is I cant see straight... :oops:
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:35 pm

mattbuty wrote:Funnily enough, spent the evening drinking Bullitt Bourbon. Rubish, but you know you can taste in the nose the flavour of scotch, because of the maturation... an interesting experiment. Only problem is I cant see straight... :oops:

Absolutely no idea what you are talking about Matt. Sounds like you had a really good evening :)
Willie JJ

Postby mattbuty » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:53 pm

erm yes, I see what you mean. i forgot I even posted this, I was drinking this bloody stuff all night. The evening ended up with six of us having a Rickshaw race across london. Mental...

Still, while I was drinking it, I was aware that there were certain aromas I recognise. Not suprising when scotch has been matured in bourbon barrels. I was wondering whether anyone knew which scotches are using which bourbon casks.

It just goes to show you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear
mattbuty
Bronze Member

Postby Leither » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:38 pm

mattbuty wrote:I was wondering whether anyone knew which scotches are using which bourbon casks.

Ardbeg uses ex-Jack Daniels casks apparently. Anyway a very good question you raise here and I would be interested to hear more known links as obviously each distillery will tie up with a bourbon producer.

I would suspect, for example, that Laphroaig now uses ex-Jim Beam, given that their parent holding company Fortune Brands owns both brands.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:10 pm

Yes it is interesting. We had a single cask Arran from a bourbon barrel here in Norway, darker than normal for an ex-bourbon barrel, and really really very good whisky!! I asked them what barrel it was from, or which they used, and they weren't sure, cause as soon as it was emptied it was gone for re-use.
Di Blasi

Postby oldrip57 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:01 am

8) It's my understanding that most bourbon barrels shipped to Scotland are disassembled for shipping and reassembled upon use, using not necessarily the same staves (as American whiskey uses a uniform 53-gallon -- or 200 liter -- size, and Scotch casks vary in size). If so, then Scotch casks could be made up of parts from a variety of bourbon-brand barrels. Additionally, as casks are reused, unstable staves are removed and replaced.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:02 am

Good points oldrip57, you're right on, but if a Scottish distillery uses bourbon barrels from one distillery, the all of the staves used and reassembled will be from just that one. But perhaps they do have a few different bourbon distilleries they work with, to insure the cask demand can be supplied.
Di Blasi

Postby bond » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:27 am

Leither wrote:I would suspect, for example, that Laphroaig now uses ex-Jim Beam, given that their parent holding company Fortune Brands owns both brands.

Interestingly, even Makers Mark belongs to the same stable now so it must be quite a toss-up for the Ardbeg folks.
bond
Gold Member

Postby FrankRochester » Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:39 pm

I think you could do better than Makers Mark if you wanted a good Bourbon Whisky. I like Buffalo Trace. Van Winkles family reserve is good as well. I'm going to be trying some Stagg very soon. No offense, and maybe I'm not trying the right kinds. But the scotch that I've had tasted like I was drinking muddy water. Should I be going more for a Highland style. Most of the stuff I've tried was blended, so I'm sure that I'm not drinking anything good.
FrankRochester

Postby randall fairbrook » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:38 am

sure one could do better than makers mark..unless one thought that was the pinnacle of taste and has tried most everything else....

this can be said about most anything....

i like elijah craig 12 better.....but then i like george stagg better than that....which is followed behind by van winkle private reserve..i have not tried the aged van w's...

and then there is the rye....

oh what a wonderful life...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Hi FrankRochester, and welcome to the forums! I would definitely taste as many Scottish whiskies as you can taste in order to find one you like, or a style. Taste blends, single malts, single grains, etc etc. I'm sure you'll find something you'll like!
Di Blasi

Postby woodhill » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:07 pm

I had some Gentlemens Jack recently (made by Jd) i think of it as a liquer not whisky, if you try to compare Bourbon to SW its always going to fall short (runs and hides) IMO!

although i do like the wax on MM
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby Laphroaig » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:59 pm

I haven't heard Ardbeg using Jack Daniels wood, I'm pretty sure it was Laphroaig that said their "best" wood comes from emptied JD barrels - although that doesn't prove Ardbeg's wood source or in part is not also JD.

What is funny to me is I'm sure there'd be a dispute were these to be US products and Laphroaig or others using the term bourbon cask if the wood came from Tennessee or other American whiskey other than barrels that contained legally termed bourbon.

oldrip is right, barrels are shipped disassembled. Macallan claims to re-use fully constructed casks, but I suspect that claim pertains to Sherry.

Laphroaig may be using Beam wood now, but one thing that stuck with me was Henderson said their best, which sounded like other brands / whiskey were used as well, but JD wood produced the best finished product. Depending on when Fortune Brands could claim both Laphroaig and Beam, if it was recent I doubt we be seeing anything on the market now as the product does have a maturation process to go through first.

Lastly on the point of the buying wood from one distillery meaning the wood is one particular brand... that's not always a guarantee. Bruichladdich wanted to buy Buffalo Trace barrels but I was told from a reliable source that McEwan was interested in specifically Blanton's barrels.

The problem with that thinking is Buffalo Trace has probably a score of different brands of bourbon names/ brands they offer. A barrel that might be thought to be Blanton's at the time of barrel entry which doesn't taste like Blanton's after the maturation period is exceeded, might later become bottled as another product rather than poured down the drain or re-distilled etc. What do you suppose?

So if one buys disassembled barrel wood from Buffalo Trace, you likely get empty barrel wood not necessarily wood that was an exclusive brand name unless their going to stockpile emptied barrels for a buyer by the batch and dump.
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby hook55 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:39 am

I do know that Glenmorangie uses the barrels from Jack Daniels after they have been used to mature their whisky. thats probably why I like it. :P
hook55
Silver Member

Postby lancj1 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:51 am

How interesting. I dont see this as a competition. The whisky's of the world are fascinating. I enjoy Scotch and whilst Xmas has seen me with Talisker 18, Ardbeg 10, Dalwhinnie 15, the bottles I have enjoyed drinking just as much have been JW Black Label blend and Woodford Reserve Bourbon (although the £24 a bottle tesco are selling at is a bit rich...it was my bourbon in the states this summer though, memories etc)
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:42 am

Agreed - there is room in my liquor cabinet for SMS, Scotch blends Bourbon, Irish Whiskey and some of of the nicer Canadians (Glen Breton, Forty Creek, etc.).
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby MacAttack80 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:02 am

I wouldn't remove bourbon completely from your Whisk(e)y drinking career. There are plenty of good bourbons out there. I happen to like Makers Mark, but I don't think it is the greated bourbon ever distilled. Try Elijah Craig 12yo or Woodford Reserve. They are excellent IMHO. SMSW is excellent I agree, but all whiskies have a place on my shelf. Good luck.

Cheers!
MacAttack80
Bronze Member

Postby Gov » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:18 am

I got about halfway through my bottle of Maker's and then gave it away!! This was my first bourbon and my be my last. I found it way to rough, carmelly and sweet! I am a bit turned off by bourbon now. I would like to try a bourbon again, but I find there is way to many good scotches out there that I would rather have :mrgreen:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:17 pm

I was at Laphroaig last October and they have various different sources for their barrels ... Markers Mark was one of them and the only reason I remembered this above the rest is it is one of my favourite bourbons also some Buffalo trace if I remember correctly. Further I cannot remember seeing any Jack Daniels but there was at least another different bourbon/american whiskey distillery in the stash of barrels awaiting refurb for laphoraig...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:25 pm

mattbuty wrote:
Still, while I was drinking it, I was aware that there were certain aromas I recognise. Not suprising when scotch has been matured in bourbon barrels. I was wondering whether anyone knew which scotches are using which bourbon casks.

It just goes to show you can make a silk purse out of a sows ear

Which scotch is matured in bourbon?

Nearly all of them.

Classic Islay malts use first fill bourbon.

Glenfarclas studiously use only refill bourbon for their casks, as well as sherry casks.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 pm

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:I was at Laphroaig last October and they have various different sources for their barrels ... Markers Mark was one of them and the only reason I remembered this above the rest is it is one of my favourite bourbons also some Buffalo trace if I remember correctly. Further I cannot remember seeing any Jack Daniels but there was at least another different bourbon/american whiskey distillery in the stash of barrels awaiting refurb for laphoraig...

I think Ardbeg source their casks from Jack Daniels.
Mr Fjeld

Postby hook55 » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:23 am

After reading all these posts I have decided next time I'm out? going to buy a bottle of Makers Mark, it's been too long since I had some. :wink: :P Just have to finish off the Jack Daniels in a hurry :mrgreen: not going to buy Jack anymore :thumbsup:
hook55
Silver Member

Postby hilliamash » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:06 pm

Part of the "problem" that you may have with the sweetness of Makers Mark bourbon is that it is a wheated bourbon....instead of rye. Also, the corn content is fairly high for MM. The wheat combined with the corn give it a sweeter flavour. My advice is to choose a more rye heavy bourbon and try that one before throwing all to the wind. The rye tempers the sweetness of the corn, and gives it more of a bite.

Historically, Old Granddad bonded bourbon has been on the very heavy rye side, and Buffalo Trace is also quite rye rich. Ultimately, however, bourbon is a corn based whisky...and some folks' palates just don't appreciate corn squeezins'.

Would be terrible to be in such a world. :-D
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby oldrip57 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:01 am

hilliamash wrote:...and Buffalo Trace is also quite rye rich. Ultimately, however, bourbon is a corn based whisky...and some folks' palates just don't appreciate corn squeezins'...

No, Buffalo Trace isn't "rye rich". While your overall premise is exactly right, Buffalo Trace doesn't produce a rye-heavy bourbon, though they make some fine straight rye (the 'Sazerac Jr.', for example). BT has two rye-recipe bourbon mashbills -- one calls for 10% rye (from which they produce Old Charter, Eagle Rare, George T. Stagg, and Buffalo Trace), the other c. 12% (Ancient Age, Elmer T. Lee, Rock Hill Farms, Hancock's Reserve, Blanton's). Traditionally, those are rather standard-to-low, regarding rye content.
For lots of rye, look for Bulleit -- made by Four Roses for Diageo. It has more than twice the rye that most standard bourbons have. Old Grand-Dad (and its watered-down sibling, Basil Hayden's) are produced by Beam using a high-rye recipe, too.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:26 pm

oldrip57 wrote:
hilliamash wrote:...and Buffalo Trace is also quite rye rich. Ultimately, however, bourbon is a corn based whisky...and some folks' palates just don't appreciate corn squeezins'...

No, Buffalo Trace isn't "rye rich".

It tastes it to me.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby justalittlemore » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:00 am

As far as I can tell, the only reason to make bourbon is so that the casks can later be used to make scotch. To each their own, I spose.
justalittlemore

Maker's Mark Brand Ambassador

Postby jackthewog » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:44 am

Has any one else signed up on the MM website to be a brand ambassador? MM isn't my favourite bourbon though it is a staple of my bar and I always try and have a bottle or two on hand. If you sign up to be a 'brand ambassador' you get your name engraved on a plate which is attached to a cask (30 names to a cask). You also get a well presented certificate (looks really cool in the bar), regular emails about the status of 'your' cask and best of all at the end of maturation, about three years for me, you have the option to buy bottles made just from the contents of that single barrel. I know it is basically just a market research tool for them as all promos are, but its quite interesting and exciting process to be part of. Nearly like owning a proper share in a cask...or about as close as a 20 year old fulltime university student can get.
jackthewog

Postby Drrich1965 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:45 am

justalittlemore wrote:As far as I can tell, the only reason to make bourbon is so that the casks can later be used to make scotch. To each their own, I spose.

That was pretty much my belief about a year a go; now that I am accostomed to the differneces, I very much enjoy good bourbon, especially the wheaters...
Drrich1965
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:51 am

I am attending Whisky Fest in Chicago this April. I plan on trying some bourbon's. Markers Mark has left a bad taste in my mouth, so maybe there is a bourbon I might like after all.
Gov
Gold Member

Re: Maker's Mark Brand Ambassador

Postby oldrip57 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:48 am

jackthewog wrote:...you have the option to buy bottles made just from the contents of that single barrel...

Are you sure you understood that part correctly -- it's my understanding that Maker's doesn't do single-barrel bottlings under ANY circumstances. I believe the barrel with your name on it is batched with others, and you get the opportunity to buy bottles from that batch.
Much less exciting, agreed.
oldrip57
Bronze Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:01 am

Gov wrote:I am attending Whisky Fest in Chicago this April. I plan on trying some bourbon's. Markers Mark has left a bad taste in my mouth, so maybe there is a bourbon I might like after all.

I just started trying bourbon, and I must say that I like the few I've tasted. I had Buffalo Trace the other night, and I think it's a great and affordable whisky. George T. Stagg is one you should definitely try before you give up.

I've never had Maker's Mark, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't judge all bourbon based on that one.

Oldrip seems to be the one to ask about bourbon. I'd get his opinion on Maker's Mark, and how he thinks it compares to the rest mentioned here. He was right on with my opinion of Corner Creek, though I do really like the nose on it.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby hook55 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:34 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:
hook55 wrote:Just have to finish off the Jack Daniels in a hurry :mrgreen: not going to buy Jack anymore :thumbsup:

yeah, especially after they lowered the ABV from 43-40% and totally killed the taste.

:thumbsup: your so right there LCD, it's just not the same as I remembered JD (last time was about 15years ago) before JD i had a bottle of Jim Beam Black Label. I did enjoy it better than JD and it's 43% still. :) next time I'm at the Liquor shop I'm going to see what Bourbons they have?
hook55
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder