Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Maker's Mark

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Maker's Mark

Postby JG26_Irish » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:59 am

Makers Mark is horrible in my opinion. Maybe I just never developed a taste for wheat bourbon, but I hate it.

The Wild Turkey Rare Bird Barrell Proof on the other had was so good that when I replaced a shot of fine cognac with a shot of the Turkey some of my friends could not tell that it had been swapped, course by then they were toast anyway, lol

If you don't like Makers and don't want to spring for the high end Turkey, try Knob Creek or Wordford Reserve. Neither is cheap but both are better that Makers Mark.

Irish
JG26_Irish

Postby kyorke1 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:06 am

Welcome to the forums JG26_Irish.
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby thecraft » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:26 pm

I was watching the distillery tour video on the Laphroaig website last night and they say they used casks from Makers Mark
thecraft

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:41 pm

thecraft wrote:I was watching the distillery tour video on the Laphroaig website last night and they say they used casks from Makers Mark

Allied Domecq (the parent company of Laphroaig) also owned Makers Mark up until 2005 (when MM was sold off to Fortune Brands), hence the facilitated corporate conection for transferring used MM Bourbon barrels to the Scottish operation.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby thecraft » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:01 am

I picked up a bottle of Makers Mark today. It's my second bourbon. As far as Scotch goes I'm pretty settled on the Islays, so I fancied something completely different and picked up a bottle of 4 roses yellow label for £15 in tesco the other week. I quite liked it, so thought I'd pick up a second bourbon to see how it compared. I was after the Woodford Reserve but no one had it so I ended up with Makers Mark, and I have to say I like that too. I still have to view Bourbon and my Islays as separate drinks as they have very little in common, but that's not a criticism as both of these Bourbons have been enjoyable drinks. The MM which I have a little of now, reminds me of home cooked biscuits with cherries in, and the 4 roses I found to be very more-ish, judging by the alarming speed the bottle has been emptying! I don't think they'd displace the Ardbeg and Laphroaig if I had to take 2 bottles to a desert island, but if i could sneak a third it would probably be the MM!
thecraft

Postby sku » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:27 am

It's pretty silly to judge all Bourbon based on one drink, particularly a wheater like Maker's Mark (most Bourbon uses rye as a flavoring grain whereas MM uses wheat). It would be like if someone tried a peated Scotch, really disliked it, and decided that Scotch was a terrible drink.

Some people may not like Bourbon, of course, which is fine, but disliking one doesn't mean you won't like any. When I'm recommending a Bourbon to newbies I usually recommend Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare and Woodford Reserve. For Scotch drinkers who are new to Bourbon, I direct them to Woodford Reserve and Elijah Craig 18 yo and for peat lovers, I recommend a good rye like Sazerac or Rittenhouse 100.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:30 am

and makers mark is best enjoyed to the sound of a live bluegrass band :thumbsup:

its good, nice full taste. Bourbon in general, seems to have a more round spicy sweet corn taste, as opposed to the more lean elegant barley taste of scotch whisky.
evanstonwhisky

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder