Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your Own Vatting/Blend

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Your Own Vatting/Blend

Postby Ol' Jas » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:22 am

This is probably my favorite thread I've read since finding this site. Pouring different whiskies together is just a great way to "play" with our playthings!

I have two strategies:

First, I have a biggish decanter (1L?). Into it goes a generous pour from every non-special bottle I get my hands on. Into it goes the last little bit of (most) bottles that I want to prevent from oxidizing. Into it goes anything that I don't especially enjoy. This decanter provides a few benefits:
* I get to use the decanter, which I received as a gift.
* I have a bottle that keeps changing.
* I don't risk the last bits of a bottle.
* I get some use of the disappointing bottles.
* I have a ready supply of juice I can pour with zero regret over losing a measure of something I care about.
* I get to "hold onto" all my old whiskies that I might not ever buy again. Forever, that decanter will include at least a little bit of those oldies for my sentimental heart.

Second, I have a smaller bottle (20cL?) that previously held Lagavulin 16. Into it goes a measured pour of each of my good bottles. (I'm not a real high roller; "good bottles" for me are things like Laph CS, Springbank 100 proof, Glen Scotia 12, Laddie Rocks, Talisker DE. Stuff in the $40-$60 range.)
* This bottle is more of an experiment than anything else, but it also effectively provides me a new & different high-quality whisky without me shelling out for another one. It's tasty.
* Like the dump decanter, it preserves for all time a small piece of the good bottles that I might never buy again -- as long as I never completely drain it.

~ Ol' Jas
Ol' Jas

Postby Ganga » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 am

50:50 of Glenlivet 12 and Speyburn 10. Very weird. It does some things to mask parts that are objectionable. Really loses the bitterness and the sweetness isn't as strong. It's almost like a heated version of tropical fruit juice. It works as being something different from both of them yet still in the same vain.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:47 am

I found Quinta Ruban and Talisker 10 mixed at 3:1 to be good. Slightly better than the Quinta Ruban alone.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder