Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your Own Vatting/Blend

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Your Own Vatting/Blend

Postby Ganga » Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:58 pm

Bulkington wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:The only drawback with this is time. If you find a good blend , like the Aberlour / Ardbeg described above(which I have to try!) I suggest putting some aside for a few weeks to let the whiskies marry.

Agreed. The Aberlour Ardbeg vatting, which I had a whole bottle's worth, definitely improved with age.

Maybe I specified this above, but to get more precise with the proportions, I had a bottle of a'bunadh full to the bottom of the label and filled it the rest of the way with Ardbeg 10. Can't remember which batch the a-bunadh was.

I'm going to be trying some variations of this. I will call it Ardbelour. :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby hilliamash » Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:44 pm

Nice Gov...I thought about using Ballentine's as window washer fluid. Maybe the "Drum" could be used similarly...will be starting to get cold up there before long. :-D
hilliamash
Bronze Member

Postby shoganai » Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:51 am

50/50 Highland Park 16 and Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength. Good stuff!!!
shoganai
Silver Member

Postby Les Paul » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:44 pm

1 part Laga 16
1 part HP 18
1 part Ardbeg Uigeadil

8)
Les Paul
Bronze Member

Postby Knolly » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:51 am

I'm sure the purists will cringe, but a few weeks ago, we had a Benriach tasting for our whisky club. The event was awesome and there were seven different Benriachs: some were standard ones like the 16yo, 10yo peated, 21yo peated, while there were two single casks espressions and also one or two finished whiskies.

There were some empty seats with full glasses in front of them. those of us helping to clean up certainly made use of the "extra" whisky where we could, but eventually there was just a bit too much to drink (people had to be responsible because their ride was leaving or their taxi had arrived, etc... - I'm thinking about bring sample bottles with me to future tastings!).

So, in the end, we just had to empty some of the glasses. At one point I had about three or four ounces in one glass of pretty much all seven different whiskies. Well, it seemed like a good idea to drink it and it was very tasty! I'm not sure that it was amazing by any regard, but it was certainly very very drinkable. This was the assement of pretty much everyone who tried it.

I guess the reality is that all the different whiskies still have the distillery profile and in fact, distilleries do this all the time when they make vattings, so it's not surprising that it tasted pretty decent.

Now, if we had mixed it with some Old Pulteny or something, the result might have been - um - different...

On the other hand, i probably shouldn't talk about our attempt to make the Cafe Correcto equivalent with morning tea and A'bunadh! It was pretty good and if it allows you to drink whisky in the morning, then it can't be all bad can it??? :wink:
Knolly
Silver Member

Postby AragornII » Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:31 am

Les Paul wrote:1 part Laga 16
1 part HP 18
1 part Ardbeg Uigeadil

For tonight I mixed 1 part Ardbeg Uigeadail and 1 part Ardbeg 10. Now that is good!

I've always found my bottle of Uigeadail a bit challenging, and with the exception of a few brief tastes where I have gotten a glimpse of the flavors, for the most part overwhelming. "Explodes on the tongue", as one tasting note puts it, is correct.

This mixture is still very powerful, but also has a satisfying "woody" flavor with a hint of char.

As I'm looking forward tonight to my wealth being spreaded (not really), I think I'll enjoy several of this concoction, and at the very least look forward to new opportunities to give peace a chance.

Here's to the future. :thumbsup:
AragornII

Postby triguy42 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:25 pm

I saw this thread and figured it would be a great place for my virgin post... I have a bad habit of picking two bottles at once from my cabinet. I've sometimes made 3-SMS vattings but usually they end up with disaster. My favorites are to take something like Laphroaig 10yr and add just a touch of Macallan CS for a hint of sherry, or the opposite for a bit of smoke to the Macallan. Too much Macallan in the mix just hammers down the 'frog too much and makes a shapeless jumble.

I've also used 'frog to "fix" some crummy bottles like Benriach Origine and make them more palatable. I've found that some sherry bottlings really taste dreadful when mixed 50/50 with an Islay malt, it's definitely something to experiment with on a small scale. I attempted a mix with Talisker 10 and some speyside malts, but never ended up with anything as interesting as their Distiller Edition bottlings.
triguy42

Postby Toronto_Andrew73 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:25 pm

1 oz bruichladich 10 + 1 drop of tawny port. I invented that several years ago (and will fight to the death anyone who claims they invented it first)...it's great.

i've long contemplated doing a house blend (and may yet try)...but most of the scotches i have are perfect in their own way. so why blend?

randomly mixing together a few scotches is not a blend..it's a cocktail!

to do a proper "blend" right you would ideally need at least a dozen bottles of various scotches of different ages with different (and unique) flavour profiles. and a lot of trial and error. personally i'd work it out on paper first with my tasting notes as a guide.

taste the JW green to get an idea of what you would aim for in a vatted malt (no grain whisky)...it's perfectly balanced, as is the blue (but i doubt anyone has such old whiskys lying around to try blends with).
Toronto_Andrew73

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:33 am

Toronto_Andrew73 wrote:i've long contemplated doing a house blend (and may yet try)...but most of the scotches i have are perfect in their own way. so why blend?

Click on the link below, scroll down just a little bit and look for "A Rich Pour - Column No.13: All For One & One For All", dated June 16, 2008...
http://www.cigarweekly.com/magazine/lifestyles/
That's why! :wink:

P.S. I too like adding miniscule portions of various fortified wines to certain single malt Scotches.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:42 am

Toronto_Andrew73 wrote:1 oz bruichladich 10 + 1 drop of tawny port. I invented that several years ago (and will fight to the death anyone who claims they invented it first)...it's great.

Tried something similar tonight - Lap QC and a drop of 20 yo Tawny Port - very, vey nice. Might try a drop in my Moine Mhor later this week. . .

Fun stuff!! :thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby si_peacock » Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:10 pm

I have a living bottle at home where I pour the last few oz of many (not all) of my bottles and leave to marry. At the moment, this has been sitting for around 8 months and has 17 different malts - all with different flavours and ages. Everything from a First Batch Springbank 11YO to Laph Quarter Cask.

I admit my produce is going to be heavily peat influenced because of the provenance of my bottle collection at home. However, it should be far from a peat monster given the sherried influence of the Springbank and some decent 'farclas.

I've not tried it yet - being firmly of the idea that I want it to marry for at least a year first. And when I do, I will still top it up so that every dram I have should be genuinely different.

Si
si_peacock

Postby UUNetBill » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:52 pm

Now THAT sounds interesting!! You'll have to let us know how it comes out.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby peergynt323 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:07 am

I recently made my own blend. 4 ponies of hedonism, 3 OMC Highland Park (not that great to drink on its own), 2 of a Whisky Galore Glenlossie and 1 of a Provenance Port Ellen for sherry and smoke.

It's pretty phenomenal in my humble opinion.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:38 pm

I have yet to try mixing together Talisker with Oban.

Then I can say "I drink Taliban!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Ardbelour was created this past weekend. 2 parts a'bunadh batch 21 and 1 part Ardbeg 10 (L7 Tim).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby lancj1 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:16 pm

Interesting topic..

my favourite is a five way way blend, in equal measure, of

Bowmore, Strathmill, Oban, Kilchoman and Springbank

All I need now is a name :smoke:
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby LagaDrinker » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:I have yet to try mixing together Talisker with Oban.

Then I can say "I drink Taliban!"

:lol:

Now that I have got to try
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:39 am

Well, here am I face to face with the Taliban... :shock:

Been sipping Oban 14( a christmas gift) while watching the men's downhill skiing from Kitzbuhel...now to add a few drops ( no more...) of Talisker 57.
(57% ABV)

Tastes of talisker! This actually reminds me of an extraordinarily smoky version of JW Red i encountered on a flight back from Brisbane 2 years ago!

a few sips in, it's mellower than the 57 on its own...a nice chocolatey finish that neither whisky has! Strange...but enjoyable. The CS Talisker does rather take over, but then it is one of the more "Characterful" distilleries, so no surprise. I rather suspect that had i done the same with a Dalwhinnie 15, or a Glen Garioch 15(two "highland" 43% drams i am currently enjoying ) the result would be similar. the "smoked redcurrant" Talisker effect would still predominate, even tho' this "Taliban" cant' be more than about 25% Talisker by volume...

So I might mix me a DALWHISKER just to be sure, before bed... :iwbrnt:
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:42 am

Well, the finish on the Taliban is lovely, lingering...just don't try offering it to any fundamentalists. you might get shot.

this is definitely the drink of infidels! :o
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:13 pm

Poured some of one of my home blends (pure malt) last night. I named this particular one The Peat Kiln, and it clocks in at 46.3%ABV... The 'recipe' contains varying quantities of Ardbeg 1990 10YO (OMC), Arran 10YO, Benriach 10YO Curiositas, Bowmore 17YO, Brora 1982 20YO (RMS), Caol Ila 12YO, Convalmore 1977 28YO, Glenmorangie Madeira Wood Finish, Lagavulin 12YO (CS), Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Oban 1983 DE, Old Pulteney 12YO, Scapa 12YO, Springbank 10YO and Talisker 10YO. Very harmonious with an overall smoothness, but still packs lovely peat'n'salt surges from start to finish.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:25 pm

How the heck did you manage to measure the ABV???

BTW, last night I opened a christmas gift of a litre of standard Lapfroaig at 40%...good fun. then, on refill I added a splash of a rather raw and slightly sulferous Glen Moray sherry cask@60%...Marvellous! reminded me of the SMWS sherry finished Laphroaig...

Glen Frog anybody?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:16 am

Taliban II

2 parts Tali 17th to 1 part Oban 18

Nose: honeyed malt, straw, light pepper
Palate: watered honey, gristy, lightly spicey
Finish: short, malty
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:41 am

Ahhh, I once blended a SMW with Coke.
The result, a wonderful solvent for cleaning various metals as well as my internals.Whoa back up, me thinks to much information!!
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:How the heck did you manage to measure the ABV???

Precisely delineated amounts of each of the constituent single malts (I measure down to increments as small as 5ml) to begin with, followed by a little simple math.

I usually allow for a 0.1% to 0.2% loss of ABV (due to evaporation) during the blending process. :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:03 pm

Well congratulations!

Just don't talk to me about "simple math" - there's no such thing! It was I who got 8% and a thrashing in my algebra exam at school, and I've never looked back. Maybe that's why it took until around my 50th birthday to discover and fall in love with SMS...the headmaster's breath always stank of whisky before his ritual beating sessions!

So forgive me if i'm a bit vague...

Next up for me will be the Dalwhisker, or to be imprecise and unmathematical,
Dalwhinnie 15 with "just a splash" of Talisker 57 degrees...

But a little later. I have to go play some Reggaeblues tonight.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:38 am

Finally tried a "Dalwhisker" - 15Yo dalwhinnie wi' a splash o' Talisker 57.

well , it were only a splash, but it dominates! Dalwhinnie being kind of delicate in comparison...I might just as well have been drinking talisker 10....but as it faded the "david" dalwhinnie started to peep through the "goliath" talisker at 57%...

Actually, damn fine, but I think next time ill add even less! Just a few drops is enough.

A fun experiment though. Now I'm drinking Aberlour 10 YO with a splsh of glen moray - the same sherried one that I mention in my last post.

Boy! this vatting business is fun!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:24 am

I just tried a peaty bourbon. EC 12 and Ardmore TC. I didn't want to use a Islay as I thought the maritime notes wouldn't go with bourbon and I find that the Ardmore peat is very sweet, while Islay peat is usually more smokey. The taste was ok, but I think it would be better with some time for the flavors to combine.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:13 am

pkt77242 wrote:The taste was ok, but I think it would be better with some time for the flavors to combine.

What were your proportions of the two, Sean? I'd imagine the rather heavily and sweetly charred (almost 'smoky', dare I say) characteristics of the Elijah Craig could easily overpower the relatively subtle (by comparison) traits of the Ardmore if blended in anything approaching equal quantities. Sounds very interesting!

Doug
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:21 am

The Third Dram wrote:
pkt77242 wrote:The taste was ok, but I think it would be better with some time for the flavors to combine.

What were your proportions of the two, Sean? I'd imagine the rather heavily and sweetly charred (almost 'smoky', dare I say) characteristics of the Elijah Craig could easily overpower the relatively subtle (by comparison) traits of the Ardmore if blended in anything approaching equal quantities. Sounds very interesting!

Doug

Doug

I tried 2/3 EC 12 and 1/3 Ardmore TC. Next time I will try reversing that and seeing how it goes.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:12 am

I believe there have been a couple of articles in Whisky magazine addressing the creation of 'multinational' blends, Sean. If I remember correctly, there was some concensus that many Bourbons possessed an uncanny ability to 'drown out' Scotches (as well as other whiskies such as Canadian) unless they were utilized in smaller amounts. Much of this undoubtedly has to do with the degree of barrel char employed by the Bourbon distillery. And I'm quite sure that Elijah Craig specifies a rather heavy char (likely No.4) for its barrels. This factor, in combination with the 94-proof bottling strength, makes for a pretty robust spirit.

I too am very fascinated with the possibilities inherent in mixing such diverse liquors, but just haven't quite come to grips yet with the stylistic parameters these sorts of blends entail.

Has to be a lot of fun, though! :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:02 am

Trying the peated bourbon again tonight and on Doug's suggestion I am trying it with 2/3 Ardmore TC and 1/3 EC 12. Flavors of Vanilla and brown sugar to go with the sweet peat of the Ardmore. Pretty good.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:01 am

Benriach 10 Curiositas with a splash of 2006 California Syrah (a very cheap one $6). At first it starts fruity and winey and then goes to the farmyard flavors of the Benriach. But when I gave it time to settle down it was a very nice combo of Blackberry and peat. I actually enjoyed this a little more than the Benriach by itself.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Gooner » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:51 pm

we had a whisky tasting last year where Dom set us loose to make our own blends with his tasting leftovers. It was a laugh, but I cant remember what malts we used, ended up doing too much tasting and not enough blending ... my results at least were pretty grim, still have a small bottle at the back of my cupboard.

Tony
Gooner

Postby Reggaeblues » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:06 am

Relaxed with one of my favourites tonight - Black Bottle with a splash(20%)
ardbeg 10.

I call it "Islay Over Easy!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Gov » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:17 am

Reggaeblues wrote:Relaxed with one of my favourites tonight - Black Bottle with a splash(20%)
ardbeg 10.

I call it "Islay Over Easy!"

Well getting the idea from you before, I have tried this with Caol Ila 12 splashed over Black Bottle. The result, quite excellent!!! Black Bottle is an extremely fantastic cheap blend. I only wish it was easier to find :evil:
Gov
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder