Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your Own Vatting/Blend

Your tastes and our tastes are discussed here, so make sure you share your pleasures with us.

Re: Your Own Vatting/Blend

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:18 pm

Do they have "Tesco's" in USA?

That's where I get mine.

Something about the blend that is just built to take on the character of whatever Islay you splash over it! Quite extraordinary, It tastes so complete!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:42 pm

No Tesco's in the US that I have ever seen. Our grocery stores/supermarkets are challenged when it comes the SMS and blended scotch.

Gov, doesn't Binny's or Sam's carry Black Bottle?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Stewart » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:52 am

I make my own blend in a glass now and then. For instance, got Longmorn 15, which despite great reviews I found a bit bland and butterscotchy for my taste. So, to spice it up a bit, tonight I blended:

--2 parts Longmorn 15
--2 parts Glenlivet 18 for its sherried nature
--1 part Ardbeg 10 for earthy, full-bodied peat.

I found it a harmonious blend...delicious! I suppose if one's going to try a blend, it's ideal to let it sit several months or years...I don't know. But in a pinch, it can work. Sometimes it doesn't.
Stewart

Postby Ganga » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:08 am

Vatted at about 2:1 Lismore NAS and Finlaggan NAS. What I found was that the Finlaggan served to mask the astringent nature of the Lismore and make the oranges become a little richer. The Lismore tended to mute the burnt brownies I get with the Finlaggan. All in all not a bad experience but not great either.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:58 pm

A trio of single malts (vatted in equal proportions) that really works...

Ardbeg 10YO
Auchentoshan 10YO
Glengoyne 12YO Cask Strength

The Ardbeg contributes all those wonderful Ardbeg characteristics (complex, multilayered peat along with that inimitable bittersweet fruit quality). The Auchentoshan adds some sticky-sweet citrus and textural softness. And the Glengoyne brings yet more malt, greater alcohol, structure and gingery spice to the mix.

Tasty just about anytime. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:17 am

Serendipity? No, this is far more complex and enjoyable. By mistake I pours the Spec. Drinks Ltd Springbank 13 into the Linkwood 11 Blackadder. Still runs really high. This is really complex and each highlights the best of the other.

Doubtful this can ever be replicated though. :(
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri May 15, 2009 12:12 am

Thanks to Ganga for having directed me to this conversation.

I regularly make my own blends when several of my bottles are nearing empty. I pour the contents together into one bottle and drink the result. I do this just for fun and never try to recreate a blend.

I also have a friend who works at an airline and he gives me left-over unopened bottles of complimentary whisky offered to First Class & Business travellers...I blend those as well.

:thumbsup:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby lancj1 » Fri May 15, 2009 9:04 pm

>I regularly make my own blends when several of my bottles are nearing >empty. I pour the contents together into one bottle and drink the >result. I do this just for fun and never try to recreate a blend.

yep thats my approach too. IMHO what I am doing is reducing the chance of that last inch or so going "off" and clearing ot the empty bottles. Everything goes in and its a constantly changing dram - I keep it in a decanter and just top it up - blends, SMS, bourbons - they all go in.
lancj1
Bronze Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri May 15, 2009 10:54 pm

lancj1 wrote:>I regularly make my own blends when several of my bottles are nearing >empty. I pour the contents together into one bottle and drink the >result. I do this just for fun and never try to recreate a blend.

yep thats my approach too. IMHO what I am doing is reducing the chance of that last inch or so going "off" and clearing ot the empty bottles. Everything goes in and its a constantly changing dram - I keep it in a decanter and just top it up - blends, SMS, bourbons - they all go in.

:thumbsup: smart man!
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Mon May 25, 2009 10:22 pm

I've just taken the remainder of a bottle of Glenmorangie 10 which I was rather disappointed with and added a few ounces of Talisker. I was very imprecise and unceremonious about it, but I would guess it's about an 8:1 ratio.

Superb!

It's only married for about 30 minutes as I type this, so I'll have to see how it tastes tomorrow night to be sure. I may add some Glen Garioch or Clynelish to round out the palate with a bit of malt.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu May 28, 2009 12:57 am

I have a bottle of Bowmore 18 which I've never liked. I just blended 1oz of Bowmore 18 with 2oz of Jim Beam (white label).

Bizarre taste...it seems to be Bowmore without the iodine edge...I think that I have just ruined two perfectly good ounces of Jim Beam!

OK...now I've just turned my mixed drink into a whisky spritzer by pouring a can of club soda into it.
:(
Very smokey...amazing how the Bowmore overpowers the Beam. It seems that the Bowmore's character pushes through in this blend.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby lockejn » Thu May 28, 2009 2:21 am

Yes, I think the Islay [style] whiskies tend to be very dominant. You might try a double of JB with just a few drops of the Bowmore administered with a straw. I think you'd be surprised at just how little it takes to get a big effect.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu May 28, 2009 2:51 am

lockejn wrote: You might try a double of JB with just a few drops of the Bowmore administered with a straw. I think you'd be surprised at just how little it takes to get a big effect.

Thanks...I like your idea of using a straw! I'll try a revised JB/B-18 blending tomorrow evening and will be following your suggestion. I'll let you know how things work out.

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 am

lockejn wrote: You might try a double of JB with just a few drops of the Bowmore administered with a straw. I think you'd be surprised at just how little it takes to get a big effect.

I just followed your recipe and I like the result. Into 2oz of Jim Beam, I added 6 drops of Bowmore 18...the result is delicious. I still recognize the JB's sweetness but it has been tempered by the B-18.

Excuse me now...I must investigate this further!

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Fri May 29, 2009 5:31 am

Something new tonight. Sig Highland 7 and 8 and the G&M Lochside 14. 1:1:1. HMMM.

Interesting. The astringency is tempered by a little peaty nature. I think I like this a little better than each of the components.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:11 am

tonight, I'm trying the Speyburn NAS with just a splash of the Ardbeg 10. This is really interesting. On the nose, there is just a hint of the creosote from the Ardbeg. Otherwise, it's the oaky, malty Speyburn. Then comes the palate and you get this oily, oaky malt with a spritz of pears and apples on top. This isn't better than the A10 but boy, it's good.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:00 am

A generous pour of the McLaren Speyside and a splash of Ardbeg 10.

Very Ardbeggy on the nose. Palate is very interesting. Ardbeggy but there is this Speyside thing going on to. Actually quite good. I think I like the previous vatting better but this is good.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:45 am

I mentioned this yesterday in the "What are you drinking now" thread, but I decided to talk about my half Bushmills 10 and half Glenlivet 12. It really reminded me of a slightly sherried, with a hint of more fruits version of my Knappogue Castle 1995 bottling, which of course is a bushmills product. Quite interesting, but I think I'd rather appreciate them seperately.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:19 am

I've found that mixing 6 or 7 drops of Bowmore 18 into 2 oz of Schenley OFC (a Canadian blend) makes a very enjoyable drink.

WARNING: I will try something totally new tomorrow, mixing Bowmore 18 into one of my favourite rums: Newfoundland SCREECH. I'm looking to increase that rum's smoky character.

AdamMY wrote:Quite interesting, but I think I'd rather appreciate them seperately.

This may be my verdict in the rum-meets-Islay marriage but I'll have fun pairing these two.

AdamMY,

I noticed on your blog that you reviewed McCarthy's Single Malt from Oregon. I found where I could buy it but was unable to get a price. Do you remember what you paid for it?
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:12 am

Tonight, Newfoundland SCREECH is married to Bowmore 18. Since most of you have never heard of SCREECH, here are my tasting notes:

Nose: molasses, smoked meat/corned beef, pepper.

Palate: cooked waffle, molasses cookies, charcoal & wood notes.

Finish: warm & lingering, cooked molasses.

Now, the marriage: I mixed 6 drops of Bowmore 18 into 1½ oz of SCREECH...

Nose: iodine, woodfire smoke, charred bacon.

Palate: acrid...cigarette smoke, dirty ashtray. Overwhelmingly pungent. Odd flavours that compliment each other.

Finish: dirty ashtray & molasses. Molasses takes over after 20+ seconds and lingers with an iodine aftertaste.

+++++

I am tempted to say «bad marriage» but...it isn't. It's like one of those couples you meet now and then and you ask yourself «What does she see in him?!»

Live dangerously!

8)
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:20 pm

I have a 9YO SC Glen Moray, bourbon barrel sent to me to sample courtesy of the distillery, as the latest cask to be used for my "Jim Clark Malt" that i am marketing on a "cottage industry" basis to fans of the scottish racing driver. So far I have sold about 50 bottles!!

but it lacks the burnt citrus/licorice sweetness and vanillins of the earlier 2 casks - a bit dry as a result. Not at all bad, clean, but like a drier Glenlivet Nadurra. It just lacks that dimension I'd grown used to in this whisky.

I mixed in a few drops of A'bunadh 15...not the best batch, but quite acceptable. A bit weak on the finish.

the result? It kinda improved both drams!

Re: the JC MAlt, I;ve told them I'd like a sweeter cask! they're considering a Portwood finish. Can't wait to try it, as I've loved every such whisky I've tried, from the old glenmorangie, to the excellent Bowmore Dawn.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:54 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:
AdamMY,

I noticed on your blog that you reviewed McCarthy's Single Malt from Oregon. I found where I could buy it but was unable to get a price. Do you remember what you paid for it?

I got it from Binny's... and I think they seem to have deals for some of the American Whiskey's. I want to say I paid in the 35-40 USD range. But I will say if you are looking for something different, its well worth that price. I'd say its about on the same level as the Caol Ila 12 year old in my book, which seems to be priced around 50 USD.

I'd easily say this would sell for a lot more if people didn't look down on it thinking its only 3 years old.

Sorry for the delayed response, I've had somewhat of a bum internet connection at home, and bed time seems to come before I can get to all of the posts.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:30 pm

AdamMY wrote:I'd easily say this would sell for a lot more if people didn't look down on it thinking it's only 3 years old.

The quality of the distillate is, in my opinion, undeniable. And the influence from the oak is spot-on clean, though it unfortunately doesn't manage to carry through to the finish. Perhaps a little blunter overall than much of its Islay competition, but a whisky well worth trying nonetheless.

The peat aspect is quite tasty indeed!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Thanks, AdamMY & The Third Dram for your answer and comments. I'll be in the Washington DC area in mid-September and plan to pick up a bottle of the SM from Oregon.

Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby bcrossan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:31 am

I just did my first blend.... 1:1 of Macallan CS and Laphroaig 10 CS. I have loved the sherried Islays I have tried so hopefully I created a masterpiece... or at least something I won't have to pitch :lol:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:20 am

bcrossan wrote:I just did my first blend.... 1:1 of Macallan CS and Laphroaig 10 CS. I have loved the sherried Islays I have tried so hopefully I created a masterpiece... or at least something I won't have to pitch :lol:

Well, how did it come out?

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby bcrossan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:16 am

pkt77242 wrote:
bcrossan wrote:I just did my first blend.... 1:1 of Macallan CS and Laphroaig 10 CS. I have loved the sherried Islays I have tried so hopefully I created a masterpiece... or at least something I won't have to pitch :lol:

Sean

Very good actually. I was not liking the Laph 10 CS much (vs the regular 10) but I like it a lot with 50% Mac CS. Reminded me a lot of Laga DE :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:02 am

bcrossan wrote:
pkt77242 wrote:

Sean

Very good actually. I was not liking the Laph 10 CS much (vs the regular 10) but I like it a lot with 50% Mac CS. Reminded me a lot of Laga DE :thumbsup:

Bryan,

I am sure you have already tried this but have you added a little water to the Laph 10 CS, I find that a few drops really open it up. Though your description of the combo of Laph 10 CS and Macallan CS makes me want to run out and buy the Macallan CS. Hmm.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby bcrossan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:19 pm

I can send you a sample of my Macphroaig CS if you are interested! :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:03 am

Interesting marriage tonight between the Down-and-out and the Rich-and-famous: about 2oz of Johnnie Walker Red and ½oz of Bowmore 18 got together in my glass.

They lived happily ever after!

:D
I think I'm on to something
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby LeoDLion » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:33 pm

I bought a good cream sherry from Spain. I then added about 150 cc to 5 liters of maturing whisky in an oak barrel. I will let it sit for several months. I am trying to come up with whisky with a strong sherry taste like Abunadh.

I have several 5-liter oak barrels that was flavored with sherry. But the sherry flavor was not strong enough. I am thinking that by adding good sherry directly to the whisky and letting it sit for months that it will develop a strong sherry flavor. We'll see.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:55 pm

bcrossan wrote:I can send you a sample of my Macphroaig CS if you are interested! :thumbsup:

A local Scottish barmaid told me about this, how her friends north of the border mix the 2 an call it (unsurprisingly) "Macfrog."

It should , in theory, work. I had an SMWS "sherried" Laproaig that I really enjoyed.

However when I took this lass's advice and had her serve me a mix of equal measures of "normal" Mac 10YO(NOT "Fine Oak!") and standard 10YO Lap, they seemed to cancel each other out...

But it was a hot day, I was on a long walk, and my tastebuds could have been fried...

I do recall adding about 1 part Ardbeg 10 to 4 parts of Mac CS and was amazed how the Ardie cut through. My CS Mac had a lovely smoky finish, despite out-voluming the Ardbeg 4:1
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:34 pm

Just illustrates how a little Islay (well, a bold one such as the Ardbeg, at any rate) can go a LONG way in a mix. I love creating these sorts of blends that embellish the characteristics of Highland and/or Lowland malts with those of the islands.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:34 am

I'm interested in this thread. Some guys have commissioned me to co-ordinate a blending session. something I've never done to any degree but have been curious about for a while. They've set a few parameters. Namely the vintages which have to be included. These include 1960 and 1969 so for these dates we have very limited options. G & M do Strathisla from the former and both Miltonduff and Glenrothes from the latter. The tasting notes for the 1960 and Rothes have big sherry infuence, I tasted the Rothes at Whisky Fringe and the notes bore out. The Miltonduff notes are ellusive. I'm guessing we'll need little of these components and I expect a little Caol Ila 12yo 46% will likewise go a long way. Its the bulk I'm worried about. What to use to stitch it all together? I've lots of top flight ancient grain from Bladnoch Forum and MWBH, while Cadnheads have got 20-ish yo grains at the same price.

I think Glengoyne and Glenturret let you blend at the distillery but it cost plenty. I stupidly never went to the class John Glaser ran at the SMWS. David Stirk did a vatting a few years ago at the Dufftown Festival but I think everything got thumped by the Islays.

Has any body tried mixing malt and grain? Or does Bourbon/Canadian adequatlely substiute for Scottich grain? I'll have to start dabbling and get back to you.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:21 pm

jmrl wrote:Or does Bourbon/Canadian adequatlely substiute for Scottich grain?

I'd recommend staying away from utilizing either of these options for the time being. Bourbon will tend to overpower a Scotch blend if incorporated in any significant quantity, owing to its normally quite pronounced corn-based sweetness and relatively high wood extractive nature. As for Canadian whisky, I would think the intrinsically delicate balance of most examples might either get lost in or else clash with the flavour thrusts of the single malt Scotches in the blend.

There was a very interesting article in Whisky Magazine a year or two ago (I believe) concerning concocting just such 'international' blends. It would be worthwhile searching that piece out.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Tastings

Whisky gift and present finder